• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Pretty harsh when the front office and ownership hasn't done a ton to help his cause the last two years

I mean, sure, this offseason has been bad, but they stocked the team - disagree with the big money contracts, fine, but it's still one if the biggest payrolls, if he cant win with a former mvp, 2 players that have been in the top 5 in the last 3 years, a top 5 catcher, and a starting staff with 4 starters that have been top 5 in Cy voting at some point in their career (yes I get some are old now).

I like Joe and I think it would be stupid to fire him, but I also think he bumbled a few games here and there last year that could have put us in position to not have to play in the tie breakers. His pitching management is also still annoying.

I still buy Happ - he has power from both sides of the plate, can play multiple positions well - he has pretty decent plate discipline, but his swing and miss in the zone numbers are off the chart bad - and got worse in his second year. I think he will come back and be a solid player, he is still young.

Sounds like he may need corrective lenses.

Pitching management is a sore point. A point of emphasis is his quick hook with starters. Three 200+inning seasons in four years from fifteen 29+ start seasons. It pisses off the starters and wears down the bullpen. Multiple one batter appearances have depleted the pen early in games too often as well. The Iowa connection worked well last season but displeases the league. Joe is a good tactician but it comes with costs. It requires championships to justify.

Last edited:
Good thing he hasn't won any of those.

I think it's smart to play it safe with our old starters. Honest question, do we have any young promising pitchers in the wings? Be nice to have some of the guys the likes of StL have emerging. If we had more of that then I'd buy the criticism of not extending those guys more

Pitching management is be a sore point. A point of emphasis is his quick hook with starters. Three 200+inning seasons in four years from fifteen 29+ start seasons. It pisses off the starters and wears down the bullpen. Multiple one batter appearances have depleted the pen early in games too often as well. The Iowa connection worked well last season but displeases the league. Joe is a good tactician but it comes with costs. It requires championships to justify.

Agree with this. And I do think his teams underachieved the last two years, although injuries played a part. Being on the hot seat two years after winning the world series is surprising, however.

Good thing he hasn't won any of those.

I think it's smart to play it safe with our old starters. Honest question, do we have any young promising pitchers in the wings? Be nice to have some of the guys the likes of StL have emerging. If we had more of that then I'd buy the criticism of not extending those guys more

Most of our promising pitchers from the past few years have either gotten injured or under performed. Underwood looked like a rotation guy, got hurt, now he is at best a AAAA. Alzolay is still out there, with all the right stuff, but was injured, so who knows. Marquez has the nasty heater and is tearing through the minors, but may need another couple of pitches to do anything besides be an RP. Top picks from a couple of years ago, Lange and Little, dropped off because their stuff isn't maturing. Justin Steele had a pretty good year last year after being a top 10 guy his first year in the org and then bumbling around - but he is at least a year away (if not 2). 2nd round pick from 2 years ago, Cory Abbot looks like he could be a starter in the bigs, but probably like 2020 or 2021.

The only ones I could see making any kind of dent in the starting staff may be Alzolay or one of the AAAA guys like De La Cruz, Mills or Tseng. Duncan Robinson is interesting - he is in the Kyle Hendricks model, great command, no speed - but he has looked good coming through the system, so I guess you never know

Now that is money well spent.

I'd think his style will age well too

Solid deal. He'll be 33 once the deal is complete, with a club option. Buying out his last arb year and adding 3 more on at a $14 AAV.

Opening day roster was released. Zagunis confirmed. Randy Rosario is the final bullpen selection. No surprise. Two new players on the roster are Daniel Descalso (utility infielder) and Brad Brach (bullpen). Both signed as free agents. Otherwise it is a cast of usual characters.

I think the team is capable of a championship. The starting pitching is deeper and stronger. There are quality arms with good experience in the bullpen. The team is solid defensively and has four Gold glove candidates. The lineup has proven it can score runs. The Central division is stronger but the question marks belong elsewhere. Can Milwaukee do it again? Has St. Louis improved enough? Do Cincinnati and Pittsburgh have enough pieces? The Cubs have proven they have enough and can do it again. What's not to like?

Last edited:
^ I don't like the leadoff platoon plan, although I am a big Zobrist fan. I'd like more speed at the top of the order.

The Central is going to be very exciting to watch as the summer unfolds. With wake basketball down been excited for the season to kick off. We have the talent to win the title just need to stay healthy.

Bote and Zags in the starting lineup on opening day with Zobs in the DH spot. Goes Almora/Kboom/Riz/Baez/Willy/Bote/Zobs/JHey/Zags

Yu threw a simulated game, said no problems, not expecting to be on a pitch count tomorrow.

All things looking up.

Javy looking to still be on mvp form.

Not sure they let lester pitch the 7th with his count, but we'll see - offense looks good, not sure if that's because they are or its the Rangers.

Hard to complain when every starter scores a run. Thirteen hits, eight walks and a HBP. Last year games like this were often followed an inability to score.

Javy struggled most of spring training, then seemed to flip the switch the last ten days. I expect him to regress from last year but he may have just taken that final step to stardom.

This game is such garbage - Hamels struck out two straight batters but had 3 strikes called balls at the top of the zone, then he serves up a 3-2 meatball to Deshields.

Just a bad umpire - would guess pitch tracks has all 3 pitches at 75%+ called strikes.

Back