• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Just looked back at the last couple years draft, 2018 is super early, but looks like we got a couple good ones. 2017 looks rough, all pitchers early, and they all struggled last year in low minors. 2016 we didnt have a 1 or 2, but a couple decent picks in that draft with Mekkes and Robinson. Also noticed the Cubs drafted Dunshee in the 14th round, had forgotten about that, and he looked great last year in the As system

For the immediate future, the Cubs will need to count on players who have progressed through the system to make a contribution. Caratini, Zagunis, Bote and Taylor Davis are examples. Probably not stars but capable of contributing as role players. Happ and Hoerner are first round picks with a future.

Pitching is a big question mark. Hendricks and Edwards are the only pitchers on the present staff that developed in the Cub minor league system and they were acquired in trade. That said, the Iowa shuttle was a big reason the bullpen didn't implode last year. Kudos to management for that, but it isn't something to rely on.

I like Dewees and Giambrone more than Taylor Davis - hes an org catcher, don't really see him going anywhere.

And AAA has all our progressed pitchers from the last few years - Underwood, Mekkes, Robinson, Maples and Norwood - they will all be up at some point. And honestly, they cant be any worse than what we have in the bigs now.

Captain Hook strikes again. Darvish lifted after a double, a walk, one run scored and 71 pitches in the fifth. Brave announcers in disbelief. Edwards walks two and throws a run scoring wild pitch. Chatwood enters. Markakis greets him with a bases clearing double. Still no outs. Chatwood gives up two more hits and a run before ending the inning.

No confidence shown to a pitcher (Darvish) who needs it. Confidence comes from getting out of your own mess as much as great performances. Bullpen must put together at least four innings then face the Brewers. I think this is an example of why Maddon has not been extended.

Darvish was on the verge of combustion regardless. Somehow I think he was a worse signing than Heyward

Just a thought. If the Cubs continue to stumble, management decides to replace Maddon and hire Joe Girardi.

Just a thought. If the Cubs continue to stumble, management decides to replace Maddon and hire Joe Girardi.

I would assume that would happen in the offseason, they will give Maddon the chance to play out the year. They will also sell off assets if they are out of it - Montgomery, Hamels, Quintana, Morrow, Strop would all have decent value.

Girardi only made the playoffs 60% of the time with the g'd New York Yankees. Give me Joe any day of the week

Ball bouncing our way today to say the least. One of the more bizarre innings I can recall

But this season being this season Lester hurts himself sliding into home and gets yanked in the top of the 3rd

Cubs averaging 12 runs per game in their 3 wins. Averaging 5.1 runs in their losses.

I think we have our game plan.

But this season being this season Lester hurts himself sliding into home and gets yanked in the top of the 3rd

I'm thinking it won't be serious. I was going to say we wasted some good innings by our relievers, but that's not really true - most other games they would have coughed up the 10 runs.

Yeah I think it’s just a minor injury from the looks of it but isn’t good obviously. Bats have looked good in spurts just like previous years but we’ve gotta keep the pitching going. It’s been brutal to watch.

Farm system was strong a few years ago, right? What happened? Gutted in trades?

Sort of -

1 - Hard to criticize the trade for Chapman on any level. That trade was instrumental in getting the 2016 title. Any Cubs fan would have given up that much and more to get that piece of the puzzle that season.

2 - Traded Soler for Davis. Another good move as Davis was stellar and kept the team in contention.

3 - Q trade. That's the one that I question in terms of what was given for what was received. Cease could turn out to be a super pitcher and we all know the Eloy potential. Q has been servicable but nothing outstanding.

Trading Villanueva and Candelario is sort of a great big eh as far as I'm concerned.

Sort of -

1 - Hard to criticize the trade for Chapman on any level. That trade was instrumental in getting the 2016 title. Any Cubs fan would have given up that much and more to get that piece of the puzzle that season.

2 - Traded Soler for Davis. Another good move as Davis was stellar and kept the team in contention.

3 - Q trade. That's the one that I question in terms of what was given for what was received. Cease could turn out to be a super pitcher and we all know the Eloy potential. Q has been servicable but nothing outstanding.

Trading Villanueva and Candelario is sort of a great big eh as far as I'm concerned.

Ooh, forgot, the Candelario deal also included Paredes who is a top 100 guy for 2019. Too bad Justin Wilson was hot garbage. Candelario was likely stuck with Bryant on 3rd, but I could have seen him play the Bote role - Candelario just put up a 2.5 WAR year with the Tigers, if his bat comes around as expected, that was a tough loss.

This is one of the major problem - the only position we could really use an upgrade in outside of pitcher is, what, CF? LF maybe? I guess you could say MIF now with Addy being a piece of shit. That role was supposed to be Happ's who could cover all those positions, but he lost his ability to hit pitches in the zone. But, with Baez and Addy both being locked in until 2022 - were you going to move Torres to 3rd? or Baez? Then Bryant to LF, then trade Schwarbs? I mean, I guess, not sure that gets you where you want. And I am 100% sure Eloy's is going to be great - but the team thought Schwarbs was the better bet.

Back