• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here or talked about anywhere else, but Jon Lester is just god awful at hitting the baseball. While he played in the AL up until this year, I would still think he would be a little bit better at hitting. He's 0-50 all time with 29 strikeouts and has an OBP of .019. He apparently was walked one time but it doesn't even appear on his season log.

So that's horrible even by pitcher's standards I would think...I mean no hits in 50 at bats?

Is his hitting as bad as his pickoff move to first?

Maddon and management beginning to show some tendencies. Maddon seems quick to the bullpen and has required a 13 pitcher roster. Three lefties for relief and two LH starters. I don't recall that many southpaws on the roster, ever. With the exception of Rondon and Strop, bullpen roles change depending on effectiveness. Hopefully Grimm and Russell help settle the turmoil. Position players are set for now, 5 IF, 4 OF and 3 C. Szczur, Herrera, Ross, and Castillo are the bench. I found the Lake / Szczur decision interesting. Think management believes Lake has a higher ceiling and wants him playing everyday. Szczur is the better OF defender, makes better contact and has the make-up of a good bench player. One utility IF and one utility OF increases the importance of your role and the need to be ready. It's good to be competitive.

Russell gets lucky to get one more at bat with the castro dinger, and cracks a mighty swinging bunt for a hit - doesn't matter how it happens, 11 game hit steak

The challenge in the top of the 9th was the difference - and Russell and Bryant both flying down the line to make it possible. Thats good hustle, especially with our best two pitchers out of the pen are struggling.

Strop had another rough outing and looked like he was going to let the game get blown open.

It was nice to see some power displayed. Nothing cheap about those homers. It was great to see the winning run scored by hustle and heads up base running. Cubs wins of that nature have been rare in the past. I am almost beginning to expect it now.

Addison Russell hitting streak at 12. Bryant goes deep. That's it for good news. Edwin Jackson's numbers finally look as bad as he pitches.

Cubs lose Sunday finale to Brewers 3-2. Record at 15 -15. Russell hit streak ends. The bloom is off the rose and the grind has begun. Lester proved the stopper last time up. He and Arrieta need to step up to get a successful home stand started.

Hendricks pitched a solid game, just was not able to go deep enough to give our pen a rest. Rosscup has been pitching over his head most of the season. We need Ramirez in that role. Russell has looked good as they are not using him as the loogy this year, but giving him entire innings, and outside of a couple of infield grounders, he would have no runs given up. Happy to see Grimm back up too.

Lester is so bad at everything except pitching. Can't really field, can't hit worth shit, doesn't appear to be able to bunt, can't hold runners, can't throw to first...

Good thing we signed him for his pitching then.....

Yeah I didn't mean to be obvious, it's just comical how bad he is at everything else.

Looking good tonight so far. High pitch count though and we could use him going seven or eight to help the bullpen out.

Lester, Grimm, Rosscup and Rondon do just enough. Bryant and Rizzo go yard. Russell drives in the fourth run for the margin of victory. Good to see the pitching hold the early lead.

Back