• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

2015 Chicago Cubs Thread: 16-15, Beat the Mutts

Is it too early to sell an asset or two for a real goddamn pitcher?

You want to trade assets for middle relief? That seems like a bad idea right now. Lester, Arrieta, Hammel are looking good - Hendricks had a solid game last time before Rosscup blew it and I think his numbers will work out. Travis Wood has had a couple of rough games, but a couple spectacular ones too.

We are 2-3 weeks from Ramirez, most likely. Strop will be fine once Maddon does not pitch him every day. Russell and Grimm are going to get a lot of chances. Coke needs to figure it out quick or get the DFA. We also have Blake Cooper who is lighting up AAA that will likely see a callup at some point if Rosscup can't hold it down.

EJax is our worst asset right now, and has looked as such - he is just holding down a spot because we cant do anything with him. I just don't understand how he got so bad.

Starwin double to drive in a run - man this has been a struggle, 9 baserunners in less than 6 innings and just scored out first run.

5th inning sure was fun.

I got to hear Vedder sing at the stretch years ago against the Mets too.

Might be time to buy a damn billy goat to chew up that curse--In China, it is of course the year of the Sheep--'Eamus Catuli
AC0669106

"According to three interviews with Sam Sianis, William Sianis' nephew, the Curse of the Billy Goat can be dispelled only by the Chicago Cubs organization's showing a sincere fondness for goats; allowing them into Wrigley Field because they genuinely want to and not simply for publicity reasons

Russell with 8 RBIs in 16 ABs with RISP.

Should we bat him 7th?

That was fun. Cubs win 6 -1. Everyone contributes. Arrieta was dominant. Soler, Castro and Bryant have multi- hit games. Coughlan HR gave the team a lead that allowed them to relax, attack and have fun. Russell double extends his on base streak to 15 games. Think Bryant may have found his HR stroke? Edit - question answered before it was asked. Sorry, I'm slow and obvious.

Last edited:
Looking like the writing is on that wall with Wood - he needs to put up now - the Iowa Cubs have pushed back Wadas rehab start to the same day that Wood pitches to theoretically take his place assuming Wada has two decent starts in Iowa and Wood doesn't come back to form. If he does, I'm wondering if they leave Wada at Iowa or call him up to take Coke or Rosscups place.

I think Wada is the sixth starter, to be used in the event of injury or poor performance. He is stretched out and has pitched well. If he is called up I think he starts, Wood goes to the pen and Coke is out. It appears Maddon has some belief in Rosscup. He used him in the eighth last night and Rosscup delivered.

Great game last night. Arrieta looked pretty good and the bats finally got cranking after a slow start. I was really impressed with Bryant legging out that grounder in the third. Routine play that the third baseman just didn't think would be close and he got in there just before the throw. His bomb in the 8th was obviously great too.

Get a win tonight and grab the series boys.

Arrieta was aces all night - he looked winded in the 8th, but his pitch count was high by then - nice to see the pen get some solid rest.

Yeah I was worried when he got up to almost 50 pitches through three but he got a solid outing there.

Cubs walk off with 2 -1 win. Coughlin kept his bat on his shoulder for the GWRBI. Hammel pitches 8 effective innings. Russell extends his on base streak and scores the tying run. Bryant legs out another hit. Bullpen getting rest. Came in on this game in the 7th, Cubs down 1 - 0. Saw the score and thought.... if the pitching holds up we'll win when Harvey leaves. Damn if it didn't work out. Strange to feel confidence in the Cubs again. Called the Paul Pierce 3 pointer at the end of the Wizard / Hawk game as well. We all get lucky sometimes.

Cubs walk off with 2 -1 win. Coughlin kept his bat on his shoulder for the GWRBI. Hammel pitches 8 effective innings. Russell extends his on base streak and scores the tying run. Bryant legs out another hit. Bullpen getting rest. Came in on this game in the 7th, Cubs down 1 - 0. Saw the score and thought.... if the pitching holds up we'll win when Harvey leaves. Damn if it didn't work out. Strange to feel confidence in the Cubs again. Called the Paul Pierce 3 pointer at the end of the Wizard / Hawk game as well. We all get lucky sometimes.

you should be buying lottery tickets (no charge for the advice, unless you win)

The Mets are going to be sick if they get an offense - Harvey, DeGrom, Sydergaard and Niese are all great arms, and Wheeler coming back.

It does say something if the Cubs can beat the first 4 in 4 straight games, though. Wood versus Niese is definitely a Mets edge game. The Cubs strike outs are alarming, but may end up being a huge benefit, because the Cubs being patient is allowing them to get to the pen quicker and pile on the pitch count for the opposing starters. If Harvey can pitch the 8th and 9th, I think the Cubs lose this game.

Also, Montero has been an amazing factor on the team - there was an article about how he helped Arrieta settle down two games ago by telling him to stop thinking and let Montero call the pitches - ended up with 8 innings and 10Ks.

Hes also OPSing .925. The only problem is that we are losing some trading value of Beef - we really need to move him soon, LaStella is starting rehab and should be back soon - would prefer to see Beef moved instead of dropping Sczcur back to the minors - not that he has looked great, but gives more flexibility in resting Cogs against lefties.

Just cause I like to spam threads - I am loving watching this team, but I still think they are a .500 team - we need an extra bat and pen stability to really threaten this year. I think the Pads, Mets and Giants will end up ahead of us for the two WC spots. We are one of only two teams over .500 with a negative run differential, with the Pads being the other one (and the Giants are -17 at .500, but are +11 in the month of May and looking like the real Giants).

If I had to give an early guess, I would say Nats, Cards, Dodgers are the division winners and Pads & Giants are WC - with the Cubs and Mets a few games back

Back