• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

I think we're better than the Mets. Not just because we're beating them right now. I know Wright and d'Arnaud are hurt currently but they're quite punchless offensively. And you can't underestimate having someone like Maddon in the dugout. We'll be in the race for at least one of the wild cards til the end IMO.

And Castillo def needs to go. Three catchers is silly with Monte playing so well

Last edited:
I think we're better than the Mets. Not just because we're beating them right now. I know Wright and d'Arnaud are hurt currently but they're quite punchless offensively. And you can't underestimate having someone like Maddon in the dugout. We'll be in the race for at least one of the wild cards til the end IMO.

And Castillo def needs to go. Three catchers is silly with Monte playing so well

Need more credit to the Cubs pitching this series - the Mets are a slightly below average offense and a well above average pitching staff. With Wright & D'Arnaud I think they have a better shot at a wild card, if just because their starting staff 1-5 is better than almost any other teams 1-5.

The Mets are not just a slightly below average offense. They are a horrible offensive team and have done nothing to shore up their offense in the last 2-3 seasons other than fire a hitting coach who probably wasn't at fault and sign Curtis Granderson, who can't hit a lick but gives them some additional pop.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYM/batteam.shtml#teamranks

13/15 in runs/game
13/15 in BA
15/15 in hits
etc...

You can't blame Citi Field for it either. Citi affects their HR output, but that's about it.

The Mets are not just a slightly below average offense. They are a horrible offensive team and have done nothing to shore up their offense in the last 2-3 seasons other than fire a hitting coach who probably wasn't at fault and sign Curtis Granderson, who can't hit a lick but gives them some additional pop.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYM/batteam.shtml#teamranks

13/15 in runs/game
13/15 in BA
15/15 in hits
etc...

You can't blame Citi Field for it either. Citi affects their HR output, but that's about it.

Meh, I think they end up around 10th in the NL by the end of the year - they are relatively close to Cincy, Milwaukee and the Bucs, and this is after scoring 5 runs in the last 3 games against Lester, Arrieta and Hammel, who haven't been too shabby. I would guess Wright, D'Arnaud coming back and Cuddyer getting on track would help.

But, I could also be in with a Castro for Syndergaard trade around the deadline, assuming LaStella comes back healthy and/or Baez figures out his hole. I dont know how much that would help the Mets, but it cant hurt.

Cubs tie Mets at 5 - 5 in bottom of the fifth. Capitalized on an error and hustled. Edwin J. was warming up for the sixth when Cubs were down by 4. Replaced by Grimm as they made their comeback. Good to know Maddon has limited Jackson to pitching when the Cubs trail big.

Cubs tie Mets at 5 - 5 in bottom of the fifth. Capitalized on an error and hustled. Edwin J. was warming up for the sixth when Cubs were down by 4. Replaced by Grimm as they made their comeback. Good to know Maddon has limited Jackson to pitching when the Cubs trail big.

Grimm comes in a strikes out the side - he has been missed. Lets see how Russell does, as this is his 6th appearance in 8 days - thats a lot, somewhat worried.

So, uh, Strop is the 5th Cubs pitcher and we are still in the 7th inning and no more days off until next Monday. We better win this one. And then hope Lester can go 9 tomorrow.

Russell did his job. I don't understand bringing in Strop but Maddon has reasons... and he got the out. Grimm and Russell add quality depth. Glad to see them back. This team is still a work in progress but a foundation is developing. BTW, I would be surprised if Castro is traded. He and Rizzo are too valuable.

Most everyone but Russell has had rest and should be good to go, but I get your point. I would have been inclined to pitch Grimm another inning. But I am at a computer and Maddon is managing. He does use a bullpen.

Collins made a ballsy call bringing in Robles to face Bryant after he went yard on him yesterday - Robles won getting a fly out. But, it put Fowler on 3rd, who then scored on a passed ball, so, win?

cubs_sweep-1.gif

Cubs come back and win 6 - 5 for a sweep. Bullpen closed it down, nine K's in the final 4.2 innings. Fowler was the big contributor but everyone made a contribution. Heady stuff early in the season.

Well, I think we may have resolved the 3 catcher thing for a couple of weeks - Ross looked hurt, not sure why else he would have bunted there.

Has anyone else caught Lester? Also, would like to see Lake called back up, but I bet we get like a AAAA player like Adron Chambers or Chris Valaika

Ross is 38 years old. He has caught 1254 games over an 18 year career. I imagine his body is worn. Castillo has been retained to ensure reserve strength with a catcher familiar with the Cub staff. It could have been worse, it could have been Montero, who has caught a lot of innings over the past several years. This is why Castillo is still wearing a Cubs uniform. Lester has stated he is OK pitching to anyone. We may see if that is true.

In other news, Wada pitched seven innings of one run ball for the W this afternoon. We'll see what happens.

Finally, #8 prospect Billy McKinney was promoted to AA Tennessee. Hit .340 and produced 40 runs in 29 games at Myrtle Beach.

Last edited:
Will be interesting seeing what happens going back in the division and playing a team we've already played 7 times already. I was wondering if our swoon pre-Mets was a result of playing NL Central team after NL Central team, and them starting to figure out our youngsters

Could be the case. Cards took 3 of 4 from us in STL as well during that stretch, but that is hardly a disaster

Back