• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Marquez may not be ready for prime time.

David Bote leads the team in RBI's with 29.

Billy Hamilton and Cameron Maybin have been good adds. Speed, defense, intangibles and a little offense.

The bats of Bryant and Rizzo appear to have awaken the past seven games.

Alzolay may be useful in the postseason.

Marlins are the first round opponent. They seem preferable to the Brewers or Reds but I recall all too clearly a previous Cub - Marlin postseason appearance.

Last edited:
I think Marquez will be fine. Didn't miss too bad - had a couple good at bats, and the walks were all at 3-2 I think. Results look bad, but he showed all the right pitches, 4-seam, 2-seam, slider - everyone has bad outings

Bauer is going to get it for the ridiculously low ERA, but Darvish has been the better pitcher:

I think Marquez will be fine. Didn't miss too bad - had a couple good at bats, and the walks were all at 3-2 I think. Results look bad, but he showed all the right pitches, 4-seam, 2-seam, slider - everyone has bad outings

Lol, I said 2-seam - I meant his 91 MPH changeup.

I'll be surprised is Marquez is on the 28 man roster. Ryan, Chafin and Quintana are the LHP choices in the BP based on experience. I've been wrong before.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only fan suffering 2003 flashbacks.

I'll LMAO if the lineup steps up to their lifetime averages in the playoffs. If that happened and the pitching held this team can win it all. Big, big IF.

Hendricks Game 1. Yu Game 2. My guess for the roster is:

C - Willy, Vic
IF - Riz, Kip, Nico, Baez, KB, Bote
OF - JHey, Happ, Schwarbs, Hamilton, Maybin
SP - Hendo, Yu, Lester
RP - Kimbrel, Jeffress, Adam, Chafin, Ryan, Q, Winkler, Mills, Tepera, Alzolay, Marquez

Last spot is probably Phegley or maybe Jose Martinez, if they feel ok with only 2 catchers. Disappointed to leave off Almora, but he needs a good offseason and spring to make it back onto the roster as a 4th/5th OF next year, assuming we dont move Schwarbs or something.

I think Marquez should make it over Underwood, since it will not count as an option for Underwood, who is out of them. And I dont see a real need for a Rea or Osich. But who knows, guess we will see.

Highly notable stat not included in that list: WHIP. Darvish - 0.961; deGrom - 0.956; Bauer - 0.795.

It is in there, just as a part of BB/9 and BABIP. Bauer has an insanely low BABIP this year, a lot can be attributed to getting weak contact on the fly balls and missing barrels. I would guess this is a slightly fluky year for him, since his FB rate is up, but HRs are down - his hard rate is significantly down this year. Might catch up to him. Has given up 9 HRs and 14 ERs - some of that is luck.

Not taking anything away from Bauer, has had a great year and would not want the Cubs to face him again if they don't have to.

Oh, also Bauer has a crazy increase in his spin rate this year - I don't know where to look that up, just saw a stats on it a few days ago. I know spin rate helps with the missed barrels and lower hard hit% and generally correlates with better pitchers. Except for Tyler Chatwood. He just stinks.

3rd in row, just to say, Bauer is dealing right now. 8 Ks through 5, only hit was an infield single, he also plunked Freddie after shaking off like 20 pitches, but that didnt seem to hurt him. He is hitting his spots and the Braves are swinging today.

Cubs are trying to pounce on the first pitch fastball, and doing a good job, they are just not hitting it anywhere, lotta weak contact so far. Alcantara's fastball does have a bunch of movement.

Joe Maddon pulling starters too early, that was the problem

Hendricks had thrown over a 100 pitches. Bullpen was rested. Weird decision to leave him in.

Trusted Kyle on a day when he hasn’t been very Kyle-like. Hopefully our offense can cover it....

One run, four hits. This has been the problem since early September.

The team finished 12-12 over the final 24 games. They scored 88 runs for an average of 3.67 runs/game. In three of their wins they scored a total of 32 runs. The other 21 games they scored 52 runs for an average of 2.67 runs/game. In their twelve losses they scored a total of 17 runs.

Lack of offense is and has been the problem. Everything else is secondary.

Well, now we gotta hope that Yu throws a masterpiece and the hitters can scratch out enough offense to get us to a Game 3 on Friday. I have a lot of confidence in Yu, but not so much in the hitters. We'll see. Go Cubs.

Back