• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Not a good look sending Hoerner to Iowa. Not smart either. Alozolay did look good Thursday and it appoears he will stay with Chicago. Adam and Maple remain as well. Bote appears to be getting the first shot at 2B. I hope he takes off and never looks back.

Wieck optioned with Hoerner to Iowa. Strop, Shelby Miller, Megill and Ortega reassigned to minor league camp. Maybin released.

Roster looks like the Cubs will go with 12 position players and 14 pitchers.

Last edited:
Maples has such nasty stuff, and I get not losing him cause he's out of options - but the Cubs have shown they can't unlock him. I really hope I'm wrong, but these feel like bad "competitive" decisions.

Updates.

Alzolay will be the fifth starter with Mills as long man and periodic starter. Rex Brothers looks to be the second LHP in the bullpen. Shelby Miller will stay with the organization. Cameron Maybin and Pedro Strop will be offered minor league contracts in effort to keep them in the organization as depth. Eric Sogard will be on the bench. Matt Duffy and Ildemaro Vargas competing for a utility role. Cubs looking for depth at catcher.

Edit. Duffy stays and Vargas DFA. Maybin has been signed and remain in extended spring training.

Last edited:
So what's the timing behind Cubs Twitter's histrionics with the Rizzo extension/non-extension? I understand the strong desire to keep him long-term but why is this bubbling up right now? What is so special about today? Can't they extend him any time they agree during the season?

So what's the timing behind Cubs Twitter's histrionics with the Rizzo extension/non-extension? I understand the strong desire to keep him long-term but why is this bubbling up right now? What is so special about today? Can't they extend him any time they agree during the season?

Yes they can but people thinking not agreeing before the season starts means something it doesn’t.

A lot of players request to have negotiations stop when the league year hits so they can focus on the game. Cubs and Rizzo aren't especially close on a number.

Cubs seem to be having trouble deciding if they are in or out. If they are out, why even negotiate? It's been a weird offseason.

No idea what Rizzo is looking for, but The Athletic reported that the Cubs latest offer was a five-year $70M extension that was front-loaded and included lots of escalators on the back end.

For context, that's $60M less than the Cardinals gave Goldschmidt in his (pre-COVID) deal and $20M less than the Yankees gave DJ LeMahieu this past offseason (LeMahieu also got a sixth year).

No idea what Rizzo is looking for, but The Athletic reported that the Cubs latest offer was a five-year $70M extension that was front-loaded and included lots of escalators on the back end.

For context, that's $60M less than the Cardinals gave Goldschmidt in his (pre-COVID) deal and $20M less than the Yankees gave DJ LeMahieu this past offseason (LeMahieu also got a sixth year).

Supposedly, he wants 9 figures - or thats his starting spot. Not sure if that is 5 or 6 years. Would assume his agent starts off at the Goldy number, but he will never get that in this post pandemic market. I think 6/$100 with a bunch of incentives in the later years would get it done, but sounds like the Cubs starting offer was 5/$60 and only moved to 5/$70 after negotiations. For a face of the franchise guy, I would hate to lose him, but his comments over the last couple of days sound more like he is gone - he mentioned how his mentor, Lester, had historic runs with 2 different franchises.

With only Hendricks, JHey and Bote under contract next year, 4 guys with team options (Jake, Joc, Marisnick, Chafin) and only 6 arb guys (Contreras, Happ, Mills, Williams, Adam and Wick) - the Cubs will have a ton of room next year to do what they want. Of the options, Joc seems possible, but I dont remember if it was club or player option - Jake maybe if he is back - the other two are no's. I don't see how a front loaded deal with Rizzo doesn't make a ton of sense for a gold glove 1B, all around good guy and leader.

Cubs are playing a tough game here, and as things go into the season, seems less and less likely they get what they want (team friendly long term deals) because either the team sucks and they trade them or the team is doing well and the player explodes and wouldn't accept a low ball offer anyway. Really was hoping they tried to sign Davies to a Hendricks type deal - he looked lights out in spring training and having two solid innings eaters at $10 million-ish at or near the top of the rotation would be great.

Updates.

Alzolay will be the fifth starter with Mills as long man and periodic starter. Rex Brothers looks to be the second LHP in the bullpen. Shelby Miller will stay with the organization. Cameron Maybin and Pedro Strop will be offered minor league contracts in effort to keep them in the organization as depth. Eric Sogard will be on the bench. Matt Duffy and Ildemaro Vargas competing for a utility role. Cubs looking for depth at catcher.

Edit. Duffy stays and Vargas DFA. Maybin has been signed and remain in extended spring training.

Not sure what they see in Duffy, maybe its positional flexibility since they don't have a backup SS with Nico in the minors, but that seems redundant with Sogard - he seems below average in most everything. At least Vargas could crush lefties and made for a good platoon with Boat.

Supposedly, he wants 9 figures - or thats his starting spot. Not sure if that is 5 or 6 years. Would assume his agent starts off at the Goldy number, but he will never get that in this post pandemic market. I think 6/$100 with a bunch of incentives in the later years would get it done, but sounds like the Cubs starting offer was 5/$60 and only moved to 5/$70 after negotiations. For a face of the franchise guy, I would hate to lose him, but his comments over the last couple of days sound more like he is gone - he mentioned how his mentor, Lester, had historic runs with 2 different franchises.

With only Hendricks, JHey and Bote under contract next year, 4 guys with team options (Jake, Joc, Marisnick, Chafin) and only 6 arb guys (Contreras, Happ, Mills, Williams, Adam and Wick) - the Cubs will have a ton of room next year to do what they want. Of the options, Joc seems possible, but I dont remember if it was club or player option - Jake maybe if he is back - the other two are no's. I don't see how a front loaded deal with Rizzo doesn't make a ton of sense for a gold glove 1B, all around good guy and leader.

Cubs are playing a tough game here, and as things go into the season, seems less and less likely they get what they want (team friendly long term deals) because either the team sucks and they trade them or the team is doing well and the player explodes and wouldn't accept a low ball offer anyway. Really was hoping they tried to sign Davies to a Hendricks type deal - he looked lights out in spring training and having two solid innings eaters at $10 million-ish at or near the top of the rotation would be great.

I would also hate to lose Rizzo. He's my favorite Cub since the 1989 team. If you're going to cut bait on Schwarbs, healthy Yu Darvish (after paying hurt Yu Darvish) and shop KB, it seems inconsistent to then choose to pay Rizzo his market price.

Also, can JHey's agent be my agent? Just sayin'.

I would also hate to lose Rizzo. He's my favorite Cub since the 1989 team. If you're going to cut bait on Schwarbs, healthy Yu Darvish (after paying hurt Yu Darvish) and shop KB, it seems inconsistent to then choose to pay Rizzo his market price.

Well, yes and no - the idea would be that a rebuild is happening, regardless. But, could it be a competitive rebuild? Assume you sign Riz and Baez to go along with Hendricks as your bridge to the next generation (Marquez, Davis, Howard, Amaya, Hoerner). You still need to be somewhat competitive, the Cubs have Jhey and Hendricks as the only "real" contracts for the next two years, JHey at $24 mil and Hendo at $11. You could theoretically tack on $35-$40 mil to that for Baez and Riz and assume you have an SP1, two middle of the order bats and whatever Heyward gives us to then add around with either AAAA players or the Joc Pedersons of the world and still be in the lower middle of total payrolls. Willy has arb through next year, gotta assume hes gone in place of Amaya. Happ is controllable through 2023. Mills, Alzolay are both controllable for like 5 more years each.

Also, I love Riz, but I don't don't know if he can get a $100 mil guarantee anywhere, even for 6 years, in this market. Well, maybe with the Angels since Pujols is retiring.

Well, yes and no - the idea would be that a rebuild is happening, regardless. But, could it be a competitive rebuild? Assume you sign Riz and Baez to go along with Hendricks as your bridge to the next generation (Marquez, Davis, Howard, Amaya, Hoerner). You still need to be somewhat competitive, the Cubs have Jhey and Hendricks as the only "real" contracts for the next two years, JHey at $24 mil and Hendo at $11. You could theoretically tack on $35-$40 mil to that for Baez and Riz and assume you have an SP1, two middle of the order bats and whatever Heyward gives us to then add around with either AAAA players or the Joc Pedersons of the world and still be in the lower middle of total payrolls. Willy has arb through next year, gotta assume hes gone in place of Amaya. Happ is controllable through 2023. Mills, Alzolay are both controllable for like 5 more years each.

Also, I love Riz, but I don't don't know if he can get a $100 mil guarantee anywhere, even for 6 years, in this market. Well, maybe with the Angels since Pujols is retiring.

Great info. This post has me semi-excited for a competitive rebuild.

Not sure what they see in Duffy, maybe its positional flexibility since they don't have a backup SS with Nico in the minors, but that seems redundant with Sogard - he seems below average in most everything. At least Vargas could crush lefties and made for a good platoon with Boat.

Bird in hand vs. two in bush. Sogard and Duffy are seasoned pro's, contact hitters who should provide quality AB's as pinch hitters. Vargas is my choice over either of them, felt like he had more upside.

For some irrational reason I think the Cubs will be much better than anticipated.

Yeah what’s the endgame plan from the Cubs brass? Salary dump across the board and rebuild with cheaper players? Booooo

Yeah what’s the endgame plan from the Cubs brass? Salary dump across the board and rebuild with cheaper players? Booooo

I'm starting to think that now that they have the renovations done, a World Series title in hand, and the network up and running, the Ricketts are going to run things the same way the Tribune and Zell did before them - not even try to be competitive and make money hand-over-fist anyway.

Vargas cleared waivers going to AAA. Thats nice.

Cubs sign the dude that knocked us out of the playoffs in 2018 - backup catcher fella. He will likely only be around until Romine gets unhurt.

Shelby Miller has an opt out at some point in April, but can't find the specific date. Assumption is he is called up before that happens, can't imagine Cubs just let him walk because he will be signed.

In case you didnt see it, the backup catcher is the donk who swung at a ball that hit him in the ding dong.

Back