• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Joc Pederson and Shelby Miller differences from spring training to the regular season are.... something. Miller had 16ks in 12 IP and a sub 2 ERA. Joc OPS'd 1.000 points higher in ST.

Joc - Spring Training
51 AB
8 HR
.378 BA
.431 OBP
1.000 slug

Joc - Regular Season
53 AB
1 HR
.114 BA
.245 OBP
.182 slug

Pederson is experiencing the colder weather for the first time. The fact that it has been warmer than usual this spring doesn't discount the difference between southern Cal and Chicago in April. At least, that is one legitimate excuse.

Tough schedule coming up, next 30 days have series with the Braves, Brewers, Dodgers, Cards, Reds, Indians. 3 games back and have had 2 horrible starts by Hendo, which you would assume wont continue to happen, have a bunch of hard hit balls going for outs - lot of things suggest positive regression, but its not going to get easier against the teams coming up.

Bote had a good series (game?) against the Braves, but I hope they call up Hoerner as soon as whatever shitty manipulation they are doing is done and just plug him in at 2nd every day and see what happens. Let Bote super sub, cut Sogard.

I'd like to see Hoerner return as well. Bote earned his shot and I hope he succeeds, but Hoerner infuses the team with youth and a desire to prove himself that is missing with this established roster. I liked Vargas for similar reasons. Sogard and Duffy are vets trying to hold on to their careers. The front office seems to have forgotten that talented youth won a championship.

Another run scored comparison. First 13 games Cubs produced 34 runs. The last six games resulted in 55 runs.

The offense seems improved. I hope it continues.

Hendricks pitched well too which is a good sign. Still scoring runs other than the long ball which also is good to see.

Pet peeve. Ross pulled Alzolay in the fifth at the first sign of trouble after four scoreless innings. He did the same thing in his last start. Strategy blew up both times. Alzolay needs to work out of these jams to progress as a starting pitcher. It comes with the territory as a starter. "Pitch count" and "third time thru the line up" need to take a back seat.

Cubs werent going to win yesterday, but Alzolay and Arrieta both had solid back to back outings, sucks to let those slip away. Ross pulling Alzolay with 2 outs in the 5th at 80 pitches is probably too quick of a hook and was the difference in the game, but I get it. Hoping the result changes his mind for next time, because the first four innings, adbert was filthy.

The pen outside of Kimbrel, Mills and Workman has been so hit or miss. Winkler has a good ERA, but he cannot find the strikezone, like at all. Adam stinks now, Brothers and Chafin both have good stuff but continue to get rocked every other appearance and Maples cant be trusted in any close situation. Strop looked good, Steele looked really good - would like to see Steele get a longer run next time a spot opens.

Also, Javy is on pace for 40/40 this year - I hope they keep letting him run. He also has a 35/1 K/BB ratio - thats silly.

Hit or miss describes the bullpen. Workman joins the ?? marks, so it's Kimble, Mills and Winkler with consistency. Dillon Maples made his first leveraged appearance tonight and escaped without anyone scoring. He's wild as hell but he's hard to hit. Strop and Steele earned a relook. Trevor Megill threw serious heat (97-99 mph) in his MLB debut and earned a second appearance.

I'm tired of Zach Davies. His BB/9 is three times higher than normal and he's getting hit hard. I'd rather have Mills.

edit. Ian Happ looks lost at the plate.

Last edited:
Hit or miss describes the bullpen. Workman joins the ?? marks, so it's Kimble, Mills and Winkler with consistency. Dillon Maples made his first leveraged appearance tonight and escaped without anyone scoring. He's wild as hell but he's hard to hit. Strop and Steele earned a relook. Trevor Megill threw serious heat (97-99 mph) in his MLB debut and earned a second appearance.

I'm tired of Zach Davies. His BB/9 is three times higher than normal and he's getting hit hard. I'd rather have Mills.

edit. Ian Happ looks lost at the plate.

Winkler is smoke and mirrors - he continues to get a lot of swing and misses at balls nowhere close to the zone. His BB is massive and as soon as some team realizes you just dont swing and he cant throw strikes he is done. He reminds me of Marmol - lots of good pitches, but he relies on swings and misses and can't get a strike when he needs it.

Happ is a bit of an unfortunate situation - his hard hit rate and barrel rate are the highest of his career, getting a lot of tough outs into the shift and long fly balls. Still leads the team in walks and takes his fair share of K's - but regression makes me think he is in line for a good run coming soon. Not a lot of other options with Joc out - Marisnick had 1 big game, but has been pretty subpar at the plate too.

Could potentially throw Nico in CF and start Sogard at 2B or Duffy at 3B and move Bote to 2B - neither are good options, but they put the ball in play.

Also, Romine hurt again. Wolters back up.

Guys on the telecast last night questioned how the Cubs could not sign Rizzo to a long term deal, calling him the heart and soul of the team. Apparently has been very active in the community with COVID related assistance, etc. surely they get a deal done?

Back