• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Guys on the telecast last night questioned how the Cubs could not sign Rizzo to a long term deal, calling him the heart and soul of the team. Apparently has been very active in the community with COVID related assistance, etc. surely they get a deal done?

Rizzo said he closed the door on the negotiations and that he gave the Cubs enough time. Jed's comments made it seem like the negotiations were still going on.

KB and Baez have both publicly said they are still open to negotiating. Jed made a comment about Baez saying they are working towards something, and he made a passing remark about staying in touch with Boras. Rumor mill thought Rizzo would get done and likely Baez - but haven't heard much of anything come out in the last couple of weeks.

Cubs look like the can stay in thick of it this year with a very pedestrian NL central. The Brewers are likely the favorites, but they have no offense. The Cards and Reds both look average. My guess is Jed pulls the trigger and moves KB and whoever else he can unless the Cubs are in first or playing well and in close contention. If they are playing like they are now, he moves everyone.

Can you imagine what this team would look like with Yu instead of Davies? Still baffled by just trading Yu, but with KB and Kimbrels value down, probably didnt get what he wants - but they have both been great so far. Gotta assume they are the first two to go unless Cubs go on a run.

I think they will all become free agents, especially if they perform well. This is the time for all three to make top dollar and home town discounts won't approach the money they can get on the open market if they have good seasons. Trades will be no surprise but if the team is contending Jed might shoot for one last championship, keep the team intact and make his best offers at the end of the year. If he fails he will have plenty of cash to work with and a large free agent pool to choose from.

I think they will all become free agents, especially if they perform well. This is the time for all three to make top dollar and home town discounts won't approach the money they can get on the open market if they have good seasons. Trades will be no surprise but if the team is contending Jed might shoot for one last championship, keep the team intact and make his best offers at the end of the year. If he fails he will have plenty of cash to work with and a large free agent pool to choose from.

If Jed doesn't trade anyone and doesn't sign anyone to an extension and the Cubs don't have a deep postseason run, he should be taken out back and shot. I would love 1 more shot, but without another legit ace, its going to take a miracle to get out of the NL, much less then win the WS.

2022 team has 5 locked in position starters - Willy, JHey, Happ, Bote and Nico
2022 team has 3 (4?) potential pitching starters - Hendricks, Alzolay and Williams (and Mills?)
Team options on Jake, Chafin and Marisnick

I cant see any path but rebuild in 2022 without resigning at least one of KB and Riz - so if there are no extensions done, cant imagine the Cubs take a run at any of the top FAs this year and prefer to wait until there is another couple superstars to build around not at a crazy high salaries.

Everything depends on COVID/fans - if by midseason there are >50% fans and thinks look fine, I think Jed is given more leeway to get something done.

Scorching analysis on Braves game telecast about the Cubs’ team hitting approach.

No chance this year. The hope is only a partial and fairly quick rebuild is necessary.

What was said?

Down four runs and guys swinging at pitches out of the strike zone early in the count. Lead off (Hayward) I think strikes out on three straight pitches out of the zone. Similar for Bote. Announcer called it a poor team approach. FWIW

Our entire division lost last night and so we are still only 4 games out. We have shown glimpses of goodness and so I have to believe we will get it figured out. It could be worse if we played in a better division.

Nico deserves to stay so who do you send to the alternate site?

Our entire division lost last night and so we are still only 4 games out. We have shown glimpses of goodness and so I have to believe we will get it figured out. It could be worse if we played in a better division.

Nico deserves to stay so who do you send to the alternate site?

Sogard gets cut, I think, when Joc is ready to come whiff some more.

So many options struggling on the Cubs right now, tough to put good innings together when you have to trot out at least 4 guys that are slumping right now. Eventually, this team will put some things together, just not sure what that final result looks like.

Agree on Sogard but I'd be OK with someone in the bullpen.

There are plenty of bullpen options that I would be happy to see moved on, but I don't see Ross and his quick hook being able to function with only 12 pitchers. Especially with the way our starters have been pitching.

Cubs are at 14 pitchers on a 26 man roster. They made due with 13 pitchers thru 2019, even with Captain Hook at the helm. I do see your point but I've gotten salty about pitching lately.

Actually, I dislike a lot of the rule changes. I'm OK with the DH and 26 man rosters but some of the changes to the game need to be shoved where the sun won't shine.

Decent win. Ten different players get a hit, eight score a run and seven collect an RBI. Kept the line moving.

Alzolay gets a quality start. Chafin shuts down Tempera's mess. Megill throws more gas. Kimbrel works out the kinks.

Boog and JD discussing line up changes for tomorrow. Here's a novel approach. Don't change what just worked.

Ed Howard is skipping rookie ball and starting off in low A Myrtle beach. Will be his first professional experience - sets his MLB expected date at 2024ish, he'd be 22. One of the kids from the Darvish trade will be in Myrtle too, Yeison Santana - he is a middle infielder who raked as an 18 year old in rookie ball in 2019. He's 20 now and falls in the 15-20 range of the Cubs prospects rankings.

Ed Howard is skipping rookie ball and starting off in low A Myrtle beach. Will be his first professional experience - sets his MLB expected date at 2024ish, he'd be 22. One of the kids from the Darvish trade will be in Myrtle too, Yeison Santana - he is a middle infielder who raked as an 18 year old in rookie ball in 2019. He's 20 now and falls in the 15-20 range of the Cubs prospects rankings.

I live 25 min from the Mudcats, they are in the Pelicans division. I plan on going to their games and checking them out!

Tough series against the Reds, but Sunday was fun to watch. Hope Happ is ok, without him, kinda short on the bench, especially with Willy still a little banged up too. Pen continues to underwhelm. Davies had a good spring, but the wheels have fallen off during the regular season - 23 IP, 18 BBs, 21 ER, a 2.140 WHIP, not inducing any soft contact. He looks lost on the the mound and can't find the strike zone. Also, still hoping Nick opts out and the Cubs resign him in the offseason, regardless of a rebuild - he's just fun to root for and we will need an COF.

3 gamer with the Dodgers, facing off against Buehler, Kershaw and Bauer. Should be a good litmus to see if there is any reason to thinking about going all in this year - especially with the Cubs throwing, what I guess would be considered, their top 3 of Hendricks, Alzolay and Arrieta.

Back