• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Tough series against the Reds, but Sunday was fun to watch. Hope Happ is ok, without him, kinda short on the bench, especially with Willy still a little banged up too. Pen continues to underwhelm. Davies had a good spring, but the wheels have fallen off during the regular season - 23 IP, 18 BBs, 21 ER, a 2.140 WHIP, not inducing any soft contact. He looks lost on the the mound and can't find the strike zone. Also, still hoping Nick opts out and the Cubs resign him in the offseason, regardless of a rebuild - he's just fun to root for and we will need an COF.

3 gamer with the Dodgers, facing off against Buehler, Kershaw and Bauer. Should be a good litmus to see if there is any reason to thinking about going all in this year - especially with the Cubs throwing, what I guess would be considered, their top 3 of Hendricks, Alzolay and Arrieta.

Agree with the litmus test, but tell me more about this part. Have my expectations ("much better than this") skewed what my eyes see in front of me (which is "What's the point? We shed 1/4 of our team and haven't re-signed the ones we kept? These guys look like they're going through the motions, like the couple who was the last ones to know they were getting divorced. Just do it already."). Does anyone have a vision for "all in" that doesn't end like the last four attempts (buying at the deadline to watch the bats go cold in September)? Somebody talk me in to holding on to hope.

Agree with the litmus test, but tell me more about this part. Have my expectations ("much better than this") skewed what my eyes see in front of me (which is "What's the point? We shed 1/4 of our team and haven't re-signed the ones we kept? These guys look like they're going through the motions, like the couple who was the last ones to know they were getting divorced. Just do it already."). Does anyone have a vision for "all in" that doesn't end like the last four attempts (buying at the deadline to watch the bats go cold in September)? Somebody talk me in to holding on to hope.

Nah - I mean, the offense has shown up. If the Cubs pitching can be somehow become consistently slightly above average, they could still compete in the NL Central this year - that would take Hendricks and Davies turning doing a 180 for the rest of the year and Arrieta not slowing down late in the season. I mean, technically the Cubs aren't ***that*** far off from being the best team in the Central - its basically 1 more SP (Yu, haha), likely an upgrade on Davies or Williams, another stud bullpen piece and basically Joc, Happ, JHey and Bote playing above average. It's all very unlikely, but watching this team seems like they could go on a run over a couple of weeks to look ok.

But, the idea of the litmus test, in my mind, is more about trading everyone versus keeping the team and adding where possible at the deadline - if they get swept and are uncompetitive here, even if they go on a run in the Central, the chances of doing anything more are slim, so no need to keep everyone - trade and move on. Also, this should be circled for the team, but knowing the Dodgers have lost 3 straight series to the Pads, Reds and Brewers - they are likely due for a good series. It will be interesting to see.

Holding on to hope? Not unless the pitching improves. Teams don't win with a staff ERA of 5.01.

DaDeacs summed it up well. Even with improvement on offense from Joc, JHey, Happ and Bote and the continued production from everyone else, a shortfall on the mound can't be overcome. Trade time should approach shortly.

Our fielders are gold glove or above average defenders. We have seen that offense is improving.

Why not seek trades and bolster our pitching instead of fielders?

Our fielders are gold glove or above average defenders. We have seen that offense is improving.

Why not seek trades and bolster our pitching instead of fielders?

Not going to trade prospects knowing this is a last year sorta thing. Only way I could see them upgrading is if there is a Verlander or Hamels sort of thing and they are willing to eat a huge contract - not sure how many of those are out there.

I mean, if they flip KB, they could technically get a mlb level pitcher that could help along with whatever prospects they get, but the offense wouldn't be the same.

Just in time for the Dodgers series, Arrieta, Hoerner and Winkler all go on the 10 day IR. Vargas recalled and starting at 2B today.

Keegan Thompson is starting Game 2 against Trevor Bauer. Yay.

Just in time for the Dodgers series, Arrieta, Hoerner and Winkler all go on the 10 day IR. Vargas recalled and starting at 2B today.

Keegan Thompson is starting Game 2 against Trevor Bauer. Yay.

Welp. There goes the litmus test.

Hey, Kyle Hendricks showed up today. Not sure who that was the rest of the year we have been watching. Scattered 6 singles, 1 BB - only 1 good swing from the Dodgers.

Setting up the cruelest possible outcome: unmerited hope. "If the back-ups can draw blood on the Mighty Dodgers, just think what the full strength roster could do..."

Unfortunately as Wake fans we are too well acquainted with unmerited hope.

Ross had unmerited hope that Dillon Maples could step up in a high leverage situation. Hopes were dashed and smashed.

Edit...Ha! Baez and Bote turn the tears into cheers and the Cubs sweep the Dodgers. Dillon Maples gets to smile and enjoy the rest of the evening. A good day in Wrigleyville.

Last edited:
Ross had unmerited hope that Dillon Maples could step up in a high leverage situation. Hopes were dashed and smashed.

Edit...Ha! Baez and Bote turn the tears into cheers and the Cubs sweep the Dodgers. Dillon Maples gets to smile and enjoy the rest of the evening. A good day in Wrigleyville.

THE CUBS ARE BACK BA-BAY!

Pandemic baseball is weird and Dodgers fans are the worst - that is all.

Cubs released Workman. He didn't look good the last few times out, no real loss.

Hoping Steele sticks, his curveball is pretty sick and he was money in the 9th last night. And gutsy outing by Thompson yesterday, 3 2/3 scoreless as a spot starter is crazy good. I'm not sure that's the pitcher he will be, but it was a great first start.

I'm encouraged by the fact that the Cubs are giving Alzolay, Thompson, Steele and Megill opportunities to prove their value. It's tough to develop pitching if prospects aren't given a legitimate chance.

Time to eat a little crow. Sogard, Duffy and Marisnick are making significant contributions off the bench. Marisnick is producing like a player determined to make the starting lineup. Tremendous range in centerfield.

Well, not sure if that was a real litmus test, but it was a fun 2 days.

Watching Alzolay - I think he is going to be really, really good - the movement on his pitches and locations are insane. The only balls hit were a couple of defensive swings on balls perfectly put at the corner of the strike zone low and away from the hitter. Muncy is a good hitter on outside picthes, that was a a great swing. Once he gets to the point of being trusted to go 100 pitches and 6-7 innings, he could easily be the ace of this staff.

Matt Duffy is on a hot run, they should keep him in the lineup for a bit. I don't think he is a .300 hitter for a full season, but he puts the ball in play, which helps for a team that hits sub .200 with RISP and less than 2 outs.

KB is back and is going to make some team extremely happy - he has started at 5 different positions already this year. He's a freaking swiss army knife that is OPSing over 1.000. Would love to see something happen with the Cubs, but I think that point has long passed. I would not be shocked if the offers come in waaaaay before the deadline - Hoyer is going to likely need to make up his mind pretty quick.

Also, saw this on twitter - PitchingNinja can be a fun follow. Love Kimbrel being back too.

Happ to the IR. KB starting in Center. Nick Martini called up. Kyle Ryan DFA's (finally). Jason Adam called up (hopefully he has worked out his kinks).

Martini is a AAAA type of guy - 30 years old, had a good short season a few years with the A's. Should be another guy that can put the ball in play, and play all 3 OF spots - probably wont hit for much power.

Bryant is doing what it takes to maximize the value of his next contract. His play has also increased his trade value, so Hoyer should get a reasonable return if/when traded. Hate that Bryant's time is limited, but we have known this would happen since he signed with Boros.

There is a lot of missing players on the IL at present. Arrieta, Wick, Winkler, Happ and Hoerner absent.

Zach Davies pitched 7 shutout innings this afternoon. Joc Peterson with three hits. Nice boost.

Back