• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

With Nico on the IL, Cubs DFA Shelby Miller, call up Rafael Ortega, who is a COF. Weird, gonna be pretty shorthanded in the middle infield, Sogard is the starter at 2B and there isn't a backup for SS on the roster at this point, maybe Bote? Martini and Ortega are OFs, Wisdom is a CIF.

Bote is having a rough year so far, but basically forced into the lineup because he can play everywhere - team is really gonna miss Nico, hope he isn't out long. Need some of these backups to step up - all 4 of them started the year in AAA - Higgins, Martini, Ortega and Wisdom.

Cubs also signed Dee Strange-Gordon. Not holding out hopes he can be anything, but he was tearing the cover off the ball in AAA for the Brewers so far this year. I'm all for him going back on the roids and turning it back to 2015. Gordon was traded with Dan Haren to the Fish in 2015, who then flipped Haren to the Cubs for some minor leaguers I have never heard of - and he had some good starts down the stretch for the wild card Cubs team. Dan Haren is now a great twitter follow with the handle @Ithrow88.

With a win tonight, and a Cardinal loss, we could be in first place 30% through the season. I don’t think we need to start selling off the team just yet. If we add another SP to this team we could make a run further into October. It’s going to be a bitch running into SD or LA but that was always going to be the case.

Cubs are playing good ball. The current team won't challenge for a World Series appearance, but could make the playoffs in a weak Central. It will be interesting to see what the GM does in terms of trading value players for the future or standing pat and trying to add an inexpensive piece or two. Certainly ownership doesn't appear interested in paying much to add pieces.

Bunch of articles in the past two days from Gordon Wittenmyer about the Cubs players bonding together and using the front office crap as motivation so they can't trade anyone. Its good stuff.

Rizzo is out again today with a back issue - Cubs need desperately to get healthy before the 10 game stretch against the Pads/Giants. Hell, probably before the Reds series because they have beaten the crap out of the Cubs the last couple of seasons - expecting Nick to have 6 HRs in the 3 game series.

Capacity is up. Funds are up. We are playing good ball. Rent a SP and maybe 1 bat and let’s freaking go. Deal with the contracts after the season. Make a push. Let’s see what we got and then take your medicine and shell out to be relevant. Whatever that means.

Huge brain fart. Bonehead Merkle has company, though the stakes are nowhere as high. Love the shot of Craig bumping a water bottle to his head in disgust.

I watched the play with Baez and Craig live in real time. My immediate reaction was WTF is Baez up to now. He created a rundown out of nothing by reacting differently in a routine situation. El Mago is a truly unique, innovative player. He created the swim move for avoiding the tag when sliding into a base. He showed baseball a new, quicker means to tag out a sliding baserunner and that is being adopted as well. As Cub fans we are used to Javy being Javy. Make no mistake, Baez plays baseball on a different level than other players. I hope he sticks as a Cub. There is likely more to come from The Magician.

Bote out for at least a couple months with a separated shoulder. Injuries are crazy. Guessing Alcantara or Strange-Gordon is called up - but don't have any positional flexibility left.

It bodes well for the Cubs tho. We have been playing well without Riz Nico Marisnick Duffy and J-hey. We need them to come back ASAP tho.

Wow, cubs DFA Tyson Miller to call up Alcantara. That's a good prospect that someone is going to get for nothing. Hoping they can trade him for anything.

Damn. Williams underwent an emergency appendectomy and is out indefinitely. We can’t catch a break.

Why DFA and not just send him down to Iowa?

He was already in AAA, but out of options - and they needed a 40 man spot for Alcantara. Crazy thing is Williams is now out for awhile and Miller likely would have been called up for a spot start today.

Instead, Cubs call up Kohl Stewart, which I am low key excited about. He has good stuff, and showed it a bit in Minny before blowing up in 2019. Expecting if he shows well, Williams might be on the IL a little longer than expected.

Guessing Cubs might get something small for Miller, hopefully. Maybe package him with the other Miller and get something potentially useful?

Back