• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Let's hope it gets less subtle. The Ricketts claiming poor is the worst part of this year. Cubs are playing in spite of the ownership. At least Jed has committed to helping this year, which should be one last fun run - cause once it's done, the core is gone and nothing came back besides some likely picks for them turning down the QO.

2020 Chicago Cubs Thread 60 Games Here We Go

LETS FREAKING GO! ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!

The Mets starting pitchers are proving tough. We need to just hang around for the rest of the month. After that our schedules opens up a smidge. I appreciate the Reds keeping the Brewers down as well to help us stay atop the division.

Robert Stock being called up to face the Mets and DeGrom today. There is some good news - Stock throws 101 MPH. Thats all the good news.

Hopefully Baez is back, assuming KB will sit and rest his hand bruise.

The team could use some reinforcements from the IL and freedom from injuries. The loss of Bote, Duffy and Hoerner is beginning to show. Alzolay, Steele and Williams would help.

I'd like to see Marisnick in CF on a daily basis. Heyward and Happ aren't producing offensively. Let them platoon until the bats return.

Last edited:
The team could use some reinforcements from the IL and freedom from injuries. The loss of Bode, Duffy and Hoerner is beginning to show. Alzolay, Steele and Williams would help.

I'd like to see Marisnick in CF on a daily basis. Heyward and Happ aren't producing offensively. Let them platoon until the bats return.

Heyward is hitting @.166 and Happ .195. I guess Heyward's glove warrants keeping him in the lineup, but he's an automatic out right now. Some guy from AAA is probably a better option offensively.

Happ OPS'd .971 in May, I think we keep him in the lineup - he still has an OBP over .300. Not having a good year, but has easy potential to break out - has been struggling with balls into the shift.

Jhey is likely still hurt, which sucks he came back early. But, there isn't another option - Ortega isn't any good and they are out of decent options to replace him without trading. He might get the fake IL stint if the Cubs can swing a deal for an OF bat soon.

At some point, having so many injuries was gonna catchup. Cubs backup catchers are 5-67 on the year (Wilson Ramos?). Nico and Duffy added a different layer to this team of high contact, low K guys - not sold on Duffy keeping an OBP over .375, but can't be any worse than Sogard or Bote this year.

Pitching was key to the run in May, need to have consistent starters - which Hendricks and Davies and Alzolay had given.

Cubs need something, either another consistent pitcher or impact bat - but not that far away from being able to run away in the central.

^ good points. Only two more years on Heyward's contract after 2021, correct? ("Only"...)

^ good points. Only two more years on Heyward's contract after 2021, correct? ("Only"...)

2023 - he's signed for $22 mil for each of the next two season. He also has 10-5 rights, so he can veto any trade, but not sure there is anywhere for that to go unless the Cubs eat like 90% of it or it is a bad contract swap kinda thing. He's been outright Good the last two years, so this year seems odd - which is why I think he is still hurt, because his early season was only a little below average - but May and June have been atrocious.

There are lots of bats available - although getting healthy solves the issue, as KB moves into the OF more permanently, Nico at 2B, Duffy/Bote at 3rd. Platoon Joc/Happ/Marisnick/Jhey based on the pitcher. Still wouldn't mind IL Jhey for the rest of the year and getting a cheap OF piece that will only cost money and not prospects like Justin Upton or a change of scenery guy like Kyle Seager.

Still hoping for a starter too, but not a lot of game changers out there after Scherzer. But with Trevor Williams still out indefinitely and Jake 1 or 2 bad starts away from also likely getting a mysterious IL stint, could use something.

Camera shot of Hendricks in the top of the 7th showed a happy laughing pitcher despite the fact he knew he was done for the night. That's rare. I'm certain he was happy with his effort. I'm reasonably certain he felt like the two run Cub lead was safe. Chafin, Tepera and Kimbrel have been so good I'm comfortable not extending a starter pitching a shutout. That's a first ever from BlackjackMc.

Glad to see Marisnick starting in CF. If Happ and/or Heyward start hitting it would give this team a lift. Keep one of them on the bench until they hit or Marisnick slumps. Glad to see Bryant at 3B. Keep Wisdom hungry to remain in Chicago. Same with Alcantara. The shine is off but they continue to contribute.

Cubs have scored 11 runs in the past five games. The Marlins, Indians and Wrigley field need to be the solution to the doldrums.

Alcantara continues to smash the ball, getting a bit unlucky - as he had a double robbed by Alonso. He has 7 XBH in his 46 ABs so far - and I am too lazy to look it up, but I would imagine his exit velocity is close to tops on the team - lots of rockets.

Ian Happ is lost at the plate. He is watching early strikes go down the middle of the plate and is persistently behind in the count. His production is an illusion. He had a nine game run at the beginning of May during which he was 15 for 36, scored 10 runs, hit 5 home runs and accumulated 10 RBI's. The rest of the season he is 19 for 149 (.128), has scored 12 runs, hit 3 home runs and has 8 RBI's. He does have 27 walks during that same period, resulting in a .261 OBP. 17 runs produced in 49 games and 176 plate appearances give context to his lack of production. Those numbers usually bring a ticket to AAA.

Sadly, Happ is not alone. Heyward's numbers are as anemic but he lacks a little hot stretch.

The rest of the lineup provides little solace. Over the past 15 days only Pederson (.275), Wisdom (.257), Marisnick (.231) and Rizzo (.204) are above .200. Fortunately, the pitching and defense have been sufficient to produce a 7-7 record.

Marlins are our nemesis. Jeez.

Also, blackjack, look at the advanced stats on Happ - hes hitting the ball hard, a lot of line drives and long fly outs. Hes fine - he's always taken a bunch of strikes, he works the count based on what he expects, not sure that will ever change. But, he likely does need to make a change for the shift, he used to hit significantly better as a lefty, but the extreme shift has taken away a ton hits this year.

Just frustration DaDeacs. Happ and Heyward are just the season long slumps. Everyone besides Pederson is struggling now. The loss of Hoerner and Duffy is showing itself. This is a team of power hitters that don't think contact. Hoerner, Duffy and Sogard were the constant reminders of the benefits situational hitting. Wisdom and Alcantara were a boost for a couple weeks but they have returned to earth. Nobody left to change the pace off the bench. I would like to see Ross change the lineup. Pull it out of a hat.

Just frustration DaDeacs. Happ and Heyward are just the season long slumps. Everyone besides Pederson is struggling now. The loss of Hoerner and Duffy is showing itself. This is a team of power hitters that don't think contact. Hoerner, Duffy and Sogard were the constant reminders of the benefits situational hitting. Wisdom and Alcantara were a boost for a couple weeks but they have returned to earth. Nobody left to change the pace off the bench. I would like to see Ross change the lineup. Pull it out of a hat.

Isn’t that the prevailing MLB philosophy now? I’d like to see a comparison of % of runs scored via HR now compared to 10, 20, 30 (pre Bonds, McGwire, Sosa) years ago.

Absolutely Buttermaker. The Cubs can take it to an extreme and addressed that by picking up Duffy and Sogard for the bench to add to Hoerner. Their emergence and success early season focused the rest of the hitters and the offense exploded in May. Pederson emerged from his April slump by focusing on contact and shooting singles in May. Rizzo is noted for his change of approach with two strikes. Baez and Contreras will start hitting when they focus on line drives to right center.

With the acceptance of the strikeout and the emphasis of power, hitters have forgotten or have never learned how to shorten and quicken their swing for contact. It was an essential fundamental of the game that was taught in childhood and practiced over a lifetime for well over a century. As a hitter, your first two strikes were yours to do damage. That third strike was to contribute to the team through contact. It remains as key to success in baseball. It just isn't practiced and has less emphasis. Forget it and you suffer.

Finally got a win. It took a shutout but Mills and the bullpen did the job. Wisdom's first at bat was beautiful and recognized by a cheering crowd on their feet in support. Two more singles added an insurance run and the Finishers emerged to lock it down.

Kimbrel hasn't given up an earned run in his last 14 appearances. Chafin hasn't given up a run in his last 16 appearances. Tepera hasn't given up a run in his last 18 appearances. Over those appearances they have combined to pitch 49.1 innings, have surrendered 13 hits, 8 walks and notched 62 strikeouts. A batting average of .081 and a WHIP of .042. That's relief.

Back