• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Morgan stinks, no idea why he is on the roster. In fairness though, he struck out Edman - ball 2 was a glaring mistake.

Regarding selling, how was it that the Cubs gave up Gleyber Torres to get Aroldis Chapman for 15 minutes and 16 minutes later both Torres and Chapman are back with the Yankees? I'm never going to relitigate that decision, because my word am I grateful for that one rainy night in Cleveland, but I would like to know how that worked and to see if we could replicate. Is the idea to rent a player of value with an expiring contract and just hope that he comes back after the playoff run? If so, does anyone fit that description on the trading block right now?

Regarding selling, how was it that the Cubs gave up Gleyber Torres to get Aroldis Chapman for 15 minutes and 16 minutes later both Torres and Chapman are back with the Yankees? I'm never going to relitigate that decision, because my word am I grateful for that one rainy night in Cleveland, but I would like to know how that worked and to see if we could replicate. Is the idea to rent a player of value with an expiring contract and just hope that he comes back after the playoff run? If so, does anyone fit that description on the trading block right now?

It sucks that Chapman returned to the Yankees and they have had the benefit of Torres over the past 5 seasons, but take solace in the fact that, despite a ridiculous payroll, the Yankees have had a string of mostly disappointing seasons over the last decade; 2021 looks like the same.

It happened with Jason Hammel - he was having an insane season, sent over with Shark for Addy. Hammel was an FA at the end of the season and signed back with the Cubs - not a world beater or anything, but was a solid 5th starter on the 2016 team. Generally happens when relationships are good and the teams the player left is still intact and/or the player has a connection with the town. I think it all depends on who gets traded from this team - the management appears to be at odds with the players, so not so sure there is a lot of desire to stick around, especially if it is a rebuild - and the flip flop of the front office in telling what they are going to do (not a full tear down, but then trade away Darvish) probably leads players to stay away.

Jesse Rogers did an interview this morning and said he is hearing Hoyer is not getting the types of offers he wants for KB, Baez or Riz and his speculation is that all 3 stick it out this year and Cubs just bank on 3 compensation picks. Woof, I guess.

Typically trade demand spikes as the deadline approaches. Teams will sweeten their offers over the next couple of weeks.

Typically trade demand spikes as the deadline approaches. Teams will sweeten their offers over the next couple of weeks.

I mean, maybe. Kimbrel will likely get the best return since he has another option year. Hoyer/FO has had 2 years to trade KB and haven't liked any of the offers, so I have no expectations whatever they want is out there. I would love for them to trade Riz and him resign, but his comments this year not been great and he seems put out by the teams lack of desire to lock up the talent after this year. Have heard a lot of rumors of the Yanks and Sox both being interested in Riz and/or KB - I think the Red Sox have some amazing talent depth that could be a nice haul for either player.

It happened with Jason Hammel - he was having an insane season, sent over with Shark for Addy. Hammel was an FA at the end of the season and signed back with the Cubs - not a world beater or anything, but was a solid 5th starter on the 2016 team. Generally happens when relationships are good and the teams the player left is still intact and/or the player has a connection with the town. I think it all depends on who gets traded from this team - the management appears to be at odds with the players, so not so sure there is a lot of desire to stick around, especially if it is a rebuild - and the flip flop of the front office in telling what they are going to do (not a full tear down, but then trade away Darvish) probably leads players to stay away.

Jesse Rogers did an interview this morning and said he is hearing Hoyer is not getting the types of offers he wants for KB, Baez or Riz and his speculation is that all 3 stick it out this year and Cubs just bank on 3 compensation picks. Woof, I guess.

All have struggled at the plate the past couple of seasons, other than Bryant early this season, so I'm sure teams are "lowballing". Rough situation. I say don't be in a rush to move unless you get reasonable value. 2-3 year rebuild plan. Forget this year.

Why do I see so many people hung up on Happ? I would much rather we keep Riz and KB above anybody else on this team.

Draft picks may no longer be tied to FAs after the next CBA is agreed upon.

Probably. The union is also going to push hard to reduce the service time needed to qualify for FA, and find a solution to teams stashing players in the minors when their are MLB ready (e.g., like the Cubs did with Bryant) to delay free agent eligibility. Teams wised up and are no longer giving long term contracts to players after age 30. As a result, MLB salaries have slightly trended down. In response, the Union is going to want players to hit free agency when they are younger. Will be a battle.

It will be a battle. The free agent market has changed. Player development has always been the best way to build a team.

This is the second consecutive season that Rizzo and Baez are hitting below expectations. Bryant had two seasons in the past four with limited production due to injuries and .445 OPS in June sent red flags flying. The Cubs needed all three playing at the top of their game to get a decent return in trade and they crapped out. If they don't finish the season strong all three may find their free agent offers don't match their expectations.

Kimbrel has the highest trade value. He is also the foundation of the bullpen. His value is much greater than his stats. He may stay in Chicago if an overwhelming offer is not conveyed.

It will be a battle. The free agent market has changed. Player development has always been the best way to build a team.

This is the second consecutive season that Rizzo and Baez are hitting below expectations. Bryant had two seasons in the past four with limited production due to injuries and .445 OPS in June sent red flags flying. The Cubs needed all three playing at the top of their game to get a decent return in trade and they crapped out. If they don't finish the season strong all three may find their free agent offers don't match their expectations.

Kimbrel has the highest trade value. He is also the foundation of the bullpen. His value is much greater than his stats. He may stay in Chicago if an overwhelming offer is not conveyed.

Nah, Kimbrel will be sent to whatever the highest bidder is. No need for a 33 year old, $16 million closer on a team not in the playoff hunt.

Nah, Kimbrel will be sent to whatever the highest bidder is. No need for a 33 year old, $16 million closer on a team not in the playoff hunt.

That's probably a move that needs to be made with his value and the apparent lack acceptable offers for other soon to be FAs. Get some pieces and/or prospects for a stud closer some playoff team will want.

Hearing Kimbrel may be the #1 trade acquisition target in MLB at the deadline

Boros is Bryant's agent and that negates an extension. The Cubs have known this since his original contract. To his credit, Boros delivers huge contracts to top free agents and Bryant won't be an exception.

According to Jon Heyman, Bryant and Kimbrel are on the trading block, but the Cubs are still trying to reach an agreement on contract extensions with Baez and Rizzo: https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1416069367587082240

Cubs are realizing they can't sell an $80 million payroll to this fan base. Hoping they keep Rizzo - would love to keep Baez too. KB wants to stay with the Cubs, but isn't taking a discount - if Cubs offered him Harper money 2 years ago, he would be locked up, but payroll was a lot more complicated then even before debating if that's good value.

Back