• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Yeah need to get the bats going for sure - inconsistency is what I expected from the young crew though.

Lester needs to throw a gem tonight.

Cubs lose 7-3. Lester has his worst start of the year. Soler goes on the 15 day DL. Baxter returns. With the offense misfiring and Soler gone, I wonder if Maddon will change the lineup in effort to jump start the offense.

Really struggling to get good at bats right now. Lester got pounded in the second. Even without the close play at first where Castro hesitated (and two more runs scored as a result), Lester was giving up hits left and right that inning. Need our offense to break out soon though, we're not putting up runs at all.

As a Bucs fan, your offense seems to do just fine against us. Bryant must be hitting .750 vs. Pitt.

Carl Edwards was promoted to AAA, Corey Black was put in the pen at Tennessee to also speed up his progression.

Baez is moving to 3B down in Iowa too, hoping that means they will call him up when they hit their interleague stretch run. Or potentially Schwarber - but I would have to think they hold him until September.

The extended nature of the injuries to Denorfia, LaStella and Olt may require a differrant approach to player development. All three would certainly strengthen a weak bench. Hope Lake, Szczur or Baxter can get hot and give the team a lift.

Cubs win 2-1. David Ross picked off Robinson on first for the final out. Good thing because Rondon was struggling. Good pitching and defense by both teams. Cubs make two first inning runs stand up. They even got a couple of breaks on calls by the umps. Need the pitching and defense to be outstanding. Cub hits and runs are at a minimum.

Cubs starters:

1) Lester - 3.86 ERA, 3.25 xFIP, 8.65 K/9, 2.4 BB/9, .325 BABIP
2) Arrieta - 3.04 ERA, 2.70 xFIP, 9.5 K/9, 1.8 BB/9, .308 BABIP
3) Hammel - 2.82 ERA, 2.75 xFIP, 9.3 K/9, 0.9 BB/9, .266 BABIP
4) Hendricks - 3.99 ERA, 3.66 xFIP, 7.4 K/9, 2 BB/9, .300 BABIP
5) Wada - 2.30 ERA, 3.00 xFIP, 10.9 K/9, 2.9 BB/9, .229 BABIP

Crazy - Hammels and Wada are pretty much at the height of their value, meanwhile Arrieta/Lester/Hendricks actually have a decent amount of room for improvement if they get that BABIP down a bit. I haven't done any extra research, but I doubt any other team has all 5 starters with an xFIP under 4.00. And by most metrics, the Cubs 1-4 are all top 50 pitchers in the league so far through 50ish games. Not a bad staff.

Coming into the season I felt confident in Lester, Arrieta and Hendricks. Hammel has been outstanding for us again. Glad you were right DaDeacs. Wada is performing like he did last year, consistent 5-6 innings. Not bad at all.

Cubs lose 7-5. Wada didn't have it, giving up 5 runs in 3+ innings. Rizzo hit 2 home runs and Montero had one. Hammel needs to step up tomorrow.

Cubs win 4-2. Hammel in command for 8+ innings for the win. Surprise! Strop relieves Rondon in the ninth for the save. Fowler scores two runs and drives in a third to propel Cubs offense. Herrera has 2 hits and drives in a ninth inning insurance run in a start replacing Castro. Herrera played 2B and Russell played SS. Sunday's game determines the winner of the season series. 29-25 record at the 1/3 point of the season...Good start.

Looks like we may go after Rafael Soriano to fix some bullpen issues

Now that he dropped rosenhaus, I'm more in with this now than I was a few weeks ago when it was floated around. Still suspect on his skills though, if he was that good, would be signed by now.

Hammel has really been great in his last few starts. Our starting rotation has really been excellent. I believe today is the rubber game for the season series against Washington. It's also game seven of the road trip with an off day tomorrow then two games in Detroit before coming back home. Hendricks going for the Cubs.

Cubs win 6-3. Bats woke up, even in the clutch. Hendricks gets the W by doing just enough for long enough. Bullpen provides 4 scoreless innings of relief. Motte gets the save. Cubs secure the season series from the Nats 4-3. Good to see Denorfia return and contribute immediately.

Oof, Baez is out 4-8 weeks with a broken finger. That sucks - was really hoping to see him called up this week for the extra bat against the AL teams. Oh well, at least Denorfia looks good coming back.

Oof, Baez is out 4-8 weeks with a broken finger. That sucks - was really hoping to see him called up this week for the extra bat against the AL teams. Oh well, at least Denorfia looks good coming back.

Lots of smoke out there that Schwarber could be called up, but I don't think Theo does that only to send him back down to AA. I have to assume the bring someone up, but since they already sent down Szczur, not sure who comes up - maybe AAAA guy like Teagarden or Valaika. Alcantara could be fun too, but I doubt it.

I don't think anyone will come up until next week, if then. Give the AB's to Lake, Baxter, or Herrera (he earned them with some timely hits against the Nats). Cubs seem most comfortable with 13 pitchers and the Tigers are capable of bruising a bullpen. If someone on the 40 man roster smokes it for the next week and the bullpen is rested, we might see a call up. Leaves the bench weak and limited but that's been the case all year. Maddon appears comfortable sticking with his starters.

I'd rather have Denorfia in that role if he can stay healthy, 9/21 before he was sent to the DL.

Denorfia will probably start in RF until Soler returns. He played Sunday vs. Nats and went 3 for 5.

Back