• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Yeah, the Cubs won. Beat the Brewers 9-2. Lester goes a solid 6 innings for his eighth win. Fowler, Rizzo, Denorfia and Schwarber (twice ) go deep to propel the offense. Laugher's are always fun. This weekend the Cubs go cross town vs. the White Sox. With all due respect to fellow Cub fans, you have to be from Chicago to truly appreciate this series. For years it was a single game played mid-summer that did not count in the standings. Played purely for pride and bragging rights. Cub and Sox fans can get along, just like they show on TV. They can also get to the point where talking stops, all hell breaks loose and feelings get bitter.

I was at the Cubs-Sox game 8 or 9 years ago on the south side when Michael Barrett slugged AJ Pierzynski right in the jaw after Pierzynski ran him over. The crowd was crazed after that one. Still pissed that Rich Hill basically refused to throw strikes and got his ass kicked.

I am thinking of going on Saturuday as well.. Where are you sitting?

Think we're front row or close near 1B. With the Cubs doing well good time for a splurge.

Last time buddy I'm going with and I went to Cubs games in Chicago was '03, the last year we won playoff games, so hopefully we're a good omen. Though with the way that season ended, maybe we aren't so much

Cubs score a run in the top of the first. Sox score two in the bottom of the inning, courtesy of two walks and a double surrendered by Hendricks.

Steve Stone and Ken Harrelson are providing their usual Sox skewed commentary. Some things never change

Top of 3rd. Fowler doubles, Schwarber walks and Coghlan belts a three run HR to right center field. Silence from the commentators. Cubs 4-2.

Hendricks is not sharp. Three walks in two innings. He better regroup or he will pay. It is hitter's weather.

Hendricks didn't regroup and Cubs pay. Sox parlay two singles and an Eaton HR for a 5-4 lead after four.

Coghlan and Rizzo go deep in the top of the fifth. Cubs 6-5. Ball is flying out of the park.

Steve Stone and Ken Harrelson are providing their usual Sox skewed commentary. Some things never change

Isn't the Cubs crew on CSN Chicago? That's what I've had on. Why are you torturing yourself so, Mr. Blackjack??

Also, CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN!

The bullpens engaged and that was the end of the scoring. Cubs win 6-5. Clayton Richard gets his third win and Rondon secures his 20th save. Include Grimm and Strop and the pen pitched 5.2 innings of 2 hit, 8 strikeout, shutout relief.

In his first start since the shake up, Starlin Castro hits 3 singles in four AB's. With lefties starting for the White Sox Saturday and Sunday, Castro will get an opportunity to redeem himself.

Isn't the Cubs crew on CSN Chicago? That's what I've had on. Why are you torturing yourself so, Mr. Blackjack??

Also, CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN!

It's what was available on MLB and I was grateful to watch it. Grew up on the north side but moved away years ago. Been a diehard since the summer of 1958. I'm the same way about the Deacs and have no desire or intention to change. I'm either cursed or an idiot...or both.

Forgotten how much fun baseball could be, after the last few years.

Arrieta has had an unbelievable year so far. He's been in command in most of his starts and his cutter is just filthy.

Cubs defeat Sox 6-3 for their ninth straight victory and 15th in 16 games. Arrieta gets win #14, Rondon gets the save. Lots of different contributions on offense. Anyone recall the last winning streak of this nature?

Cubs lose to the White Sox 3-1. Haren gave up 3 solo homers and the Cub offense consisted of a Soler HR. 12-2 record for August. Take a day off then play a seven game home stand against the Tigers, Braves and Indians.

14 mph wind blowing out to LF in Wrigley. Tigers with 3 HR's for 5 runs in 2 innings. Hammel has nothing. Coghlan with a 2 run shot in the bottom of the first. Rain threatening going to the bottom of the second inning.

Rain delay in bottom of the third. Tigers up 5-2.

Last edited:
Cubs lose 10-8 after scoring 4 runs to tie the game at six after seven innings. Pedro Strop with the loss after giving up 3 runs in the eighth. Tigers pounded out 19 hits. Kyle Schwarber with a 3 run HR. Lester needs to right the ship tomorrow.

Cubs will need to score a lot of runs if Hammel, Haren and Hendricks keep pitching like this.

Seems like our offense is clicking, though, which is nice.

Really could have used that other ace now, but understand why it may not have made sense.

Question, since Price was traded mid-season, will he still require us to forfeit our #1 pick next year to sign him? I don't remember the specifics around that.

Little frustrating to not win that one after battling back to tie. Strop seemed to get flustered last night by the two bunt hits to lead off his inning. Not that I particularly blame him for that.

Least Dodgers blew their game

Anyone have a better kid than mine? Nope... none of you do. He brought this back from his trip to Chicago.

maqm3R6.jpg

Yeah maybe I need to leave the country again. We've gotten crushed in the early part of both games since I've been back. We were on fire when I was in Asia.

Back