• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

As a Bucs fan it might come down to which of the Central's Big 3 stumbles the most to the Reds and Brewers. To this point the Bucs have had the most trouble with those 2 bottom feeders, especially the Reds. Probably also boils down to the #4 and 5 starters. I don't have tons of faith in Locke and Happ. Hate that we will probably play one game to decide it. Probably the 3rd and 4th best teams in the league.

Cubs and Bucs are pretty similar teams IMO, solid lineups top-to-bottom, above-average pens, very good rotations at the top and then a bunch of meh in the back half of the rotation (at least until if/when Burnett comes back, and if he's the same when he does). Not sure who I'd take, Morton/Locke/Happ or our triple H bois.

Pitt has been very good at home but Cole's stats are actually better away. Either way being further along in their development and having failed at the Wild Card stage last year, the pressure would surely be on the Pittsburgers should we meet

Cubs and Bucs are pretty similar teams IMO, solid lineups top-to-bottom, above-average pens, very good rotations at the top and then a bunch of meh in the back half of the rotation (at least until if/when Burnett comes back, and if he's the same when he does). Not sure who I'd take, Morton/Locke/Happ or our triple H bois.

Pitt has been very good at home but Cole's stats are actually better away. Either way being further along in their development and having failed at the Wild Card stage last year, the pressure would surely be on the Pittsburgers should we meet

Pittsburgh is just such a great all-around team, they don't have a lot of holes - they trade for JA Happ and he has seen the NL bump, and Locke is a solid whenever he doesn't play the Cubs (literally, if you take out his 4 games against us, he has a 3.31 ERA). Morton is a decent 5th starter - probably a little better than Haren right now. I mean they only have one guy in their starting lineup with an OPS under .725 and that guy missed 40 games and is just getting back - and they have above average defenders.

Going to be tough to see either team have a one game postseason if everything stays the way it is now.

I would argue that Pittsburgh's defense is a little less than average. Pedro is a disaster at first and 3rd base has been shaky as well. Great outfield. Teams run at will on our pitchers but where the Bucs have left me scratching my head is their base running. Polanco especially has run us out of some innings.

We once had Archer.

Now we have an archer

capture_20120321_125433.jpg

Wondering if the Cubs take a look at Fernando Rodney, with his connection with Maddon - mean he has been terribad this season, but cant be worse than Rafael Soriano. His speed is fine, not sure what his issue is this year without taking a deeper look into it.

Step 1 complete, now step 2 is releasing Soriano and/or not allowing him to pitch again this year.

Seems like Maddon prefers prior players as late season pick ups. Both Soriano and Rodney had their best years pitching for Maddon and he is hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with either or both of them. With Ramirez and Motte questionable, he seems to be searching for RH relievers to augment Grimm, Stroop, and Rondon. Hunter has the power arm but has been iffy. Woods and Richard have performed well but Russell is looking shaky and Rosscup hasn't inspired enough confidence to stay up in the bigs. Cubs have DFA'd Schlitter to make room for Rodney. He has performed well as the closer at Iowa. Cubs might be looking to make a deal.

Haren's performance leaves much to be desired. I'm beginning to believe Richard, Woods or Wada are better options.

Cubs lose to Dodgers 4-1. Krenshaw dominates for eight innings. Cubs with 3 hits and 14 strikeouts. Rizzo hits a 440' HR. Lester needs to be the stopper and the bats need to wake up.

Cubs lose 5-2. Lester pitched six innings of one run ball. Unfortunately, the seventh inning was not kind. When Carl Crawford hit a single to lead off the seventh, Lester's phobia(?) of throwing to a base reared its head and Lester was had. Does anyone know the history of this problem or its duration? Cub offense produced one more run and two less strikeouts.

On a positive note, Vin Scully is an outstanding announcer. Every bit as good as advertised.

Arrieta currently pitching a gem on SNB. Cubs up 2-0 through 7 thanks to a Bryant first inning HR.

However were 0-16 with RISP in the series. We really need this one.

Need this no no for fantasy. Basically if he gets I win Whip. If he doesn't, then I lose. Let's go! Bryant already won me RBIs tonight so I'm a default Cubs fan for the day.

2015 Chicago Cubs Thread: 73-55 Dodgers up

Arrieta strikes out the side for the No-No. Huge win to keep our WC lead at 5+ over SF.

He better start the WC playoff over Lester if we make it that far. The dude is unhittable right now. His slider is beyond filthy.

BOSS. Half-jokingly called him Cy Arrieta in April. Maybe not such a joke anymore.

Something about late-season Sunday nights in the playoff chase. Big Z in '08, the Jakester tonight

Arrieta has hit as many homers as he's allowed in his last 14 starts (101 innings). One.

Road ERAs:
Arrieta 1.76
Greinke 1.81

Last edited:
Back