• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Yeah, he's pretty good. 9 innings. No hits. No runs. One walk. Twelve strikeouts. Puts an end to a four game losing steak. I guess you could say he's pretty good.

Cubs win 2-0. Bryant hit a two run HR. Cubs gather 12 other hits but were unable to turn them into runs. Fowler and Castro led the way with 3 hits each.

Neil Ramirez began his rehab assignment with a scoreless inning of relief at AA. Baez smoking it at Iowa and due to arrive shortly.

Cubs are supposedly calling up Baez tomorrow with Quintin Berry and Emilio Bonifacio. The last two should add some solid depth and will be good pinch runners.

Cubs lose to Reds 13-6. Ugly game. Both Russell and Fowler hit a double and a HR. Castro commits 3 errors. Bullpen fails.

Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Seattle. He has hit .480 the past seven games. Let's hope it continues. Mike Olt DFA'd. Roster moves will be interesting since both Bonifacio and Berry will need to be added to the 40 man roster if called up from Iowa.

Looks like first group is Baez, Quinton Berry, Tsuyoshi Wada and Trevor Cahill - for the 40 man, would expect to see someone moved to the 60 day DL, like Neil Ramirez or (hopefully) Rafael Soriano.

Also, so long Olt. Now we only have Hendricks, Grimm, Ramirez and CJ Edwards from the Garza trade.

Jackson is actually having a pretty decent year, he has a 2.1 fWAR - good defense, hitting lefties well, has speed - not sure why I thought he was having a really rough year. Looks like April and May stunk for him, but he has been OPSing .774 with a .304 BA in the second half of the season. His K rate is super high, so he fits in pretty well on this team.

Baez will start at 2B and bat seventh tonight. Wada also called up. Ross activated from emergency list. Jackson has reported to the team. Cahill and Berry have had their contracts selected to join the team. To make room for them on the 40 man roster, James Russell and Rafael Soriano have been DFA'd. Everyone expected to be in Chicago for tonight's game.

Last edited:
Wada will take over the Russell loogy-ish role, Cahill will be our long-ish righty reliever out of the pen, I would guess. Berry is a pinch runner.

I hope Haren has a good start this evening. If not I'd like to see Maddon try Wada or Richards. Both should be stretched out enough to go six innings. Haren hasn't shown enough as a Cub to keep him in the rotation.

Jackson could be a good addition in a platoon with Schwarber against lefties or in spacious outfields where defense is critical. Also allows Fowler a day off without a falloff defensively. He has excellent speed and is a top defender. If he hits he might play more than anticipated.

I'm glad Baez starts at second tonight. Castro's defense the past two games was terrible. If Baez performs, continue to play him.

Cubs come from behind twice to defeat Cincinnati 5-4. Kyle Schwarber hit a 2 run HR in the seventh to put the Cubs ahead for good. Strop and Rondon shut it down. Schwarber scores 3 runs and drives in 2. Bryant with three hits and 2 RBI's.

Pitching matchup wasn't in our favor, DeSclafani is good. Nice W to pick up, 'spec with Gints losing again and Cole getting rocked in Milwaukee.

Let's take 3 of 4 or even 4 of 4 the rest of this week before StL

Getting ahead a bit, but a Cole Arrieta one game wild card is going to be great entertainment.

We will need to mess with the rotation our give jake a couple extra data rest to get him in line for the play-in - we need to keep a big less going into those last few games to give us flexibility.

Cubs sending a ton of guys to the Arizona Fall League this year - probably will see some of them by the end of next year with the bigs. Corey Black, Pierce Johnson, Mark Zagunis, Wilson Contreras, Cael Brockmeyer, Jeimer Candelario, David Garner and Rob Zastryzny.

Thank god for Kris Bryant - now we need to shut them down in the top of the 9th and get Jackson to come through with a walkoff.

Schwarber was scratched with sore ribs, might see him PH in the 9th, though, would be nice. Also, Cahill looked pretty good in long relief today.

And Hammel has not been the same since that injury - he is a different pitcher now. He likely needs a lot of rest.

Worried that if we somehow do hold on to the WC and we somehow do beat the Bucs, who would throw after Lester/Arrieta?

Back