Page 5 of 274 FirstFirst 123456789101555105 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Chicago Cubs Thread 60 Games Here We Go

Above 40% playoff odds on fangraphs!!! WINNERS WIN YALL.

Dickie Hemric
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeforest22890 View Post
    Above 40% playoff odds on fangraphs!!! WINNERS WIN YALL.
    I think Fangraphs loves the Cubs more than real life does.

Yeah maybe it's the pessimist In me as a cubs fan but I still feel like we are at least a year away
    Mother So Dear '12

Larger sample size in baseball renders advanced stats more useful as a prognostic tool IMO. I think it's likely close to accurate. There's a large amount of variance in baseball and I read an article a few weeks ago about how the average margin of error even over 182 games is something like +\- 6 games. So the prediction that all five teams in the central would be within 8 or 9 games of each other was basically worthless to determine who would actually win the division haha

Lol can't throw to first still I see. HIP HIP JORGE!!!! First bomb for him.

Dickie Hemric
    Love me some soler - 9/$30 is an amazing contract for him - he made a bunch of other cuban players a lot of money. Well, him and that other dude from some west coast team, dont remember his name.

Soler with bomb #2!

6-6 going into the 9th

Dickie Hemric
    Larger sample size in baseball renders advanced stats more useful as a prognostic tool IMO. I think it's likely close to accurate. There's a large amount of variance in baseball and I read an article a few weeks ago about how the average margin of error even over 182 games is something like +\- 6 games. So the prediction that all five teams in the central would be within 8 or 9 games of each other was basically worthless to determine who would actually win the division haha
    I dont agree, advanced stats dont really tell the whole story. I mean, look at Rizzo, if they keep batting him in the 2 hole, his RBIs are going to go way down and that is going to minimize his value - especially over 182 games.

Dickie Hemric
    I was hoping beef would get the game winning hit so we can get him off the team faster. The win was secondary.

This team has MOXIE.

First place beeeeches

Dickie Hemric
    Good way to get your first hit of the year

Two games. Two come from behind victories. The Diaz vs. Soler match up in the eighth was classic. Soler declared his intentions with a swing and miss on Diaz first pitch heat. Diaz kept throwing heat and Soler sent one 420' to dead center. I was impressed with Maddon when Soler arrived at the dugout. Amid the celebration Maddon was moving toward Rizzo, pointed and said "great job' for the lead off walk. The little things matter. Rizzo walked again to lead off the tenth and set the tone.

There's 162 games in a baseball season.

Quote Originally Posted by DaDeacs View Post
    I dont agree, advanced stats dont really tell the whole story. I mean, look at Rizzo, if they keep batting him in the 2 hole, his RBIs are going to go way down and that is going to minimize his value - especially over 182 games.
    True I think fangraphs also bases it on the most likely lineup position or something for each player. I'll check it out when I get to work. I will note that batting him in the two or three when the pitcher bats 8th changes things up as he's essentially batting in the three or four after he's guaranteed the first at bat in the first inning.

At some point in the very near future, we will have Rizzo, Bryant and Soler in the same lineup. Think about that for a second, and then let your mind wander to the potential additions of Baez and Schwarber down the road. Insane power.

Quote Originally Posted by WFUWaldo View Post
    There's 162 games in a baseball season.
    Dude, we've starving in the desert for six years (counting the completely forgettable 2009 season). Let us eat

Quote Originally Posted by wsc8521s View Post
    Dude, we've starving in the desert for six years (counting the completely forgettable 2009 season). Let us eat
    Yep. I just read that the Cubs are 2 games over .500 for the first time since 2009.

I think he was also pointing out the earlier typo from Da about 182 games in a season

Dickie Hemric
    True I think fangraphs also bases it on the most likely lineup position or something for each player. I'll check it out when I get to work. I will note that batting him in the two or three when the pitcher bats 8th changes things up as he's essentially batting in the three or four after he's guaranteed the first at bat in the first inning.
    I was joking - i agree with you. I really like rizzo in the 2 hole.