• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Basically this boils down to Arrietta vs. Cole. Both teams will be able to set up their rotations to have their aces pitch because they are so far out in front. Last year the Bucs didn't because they had a shot at the division and were forced to start Volquez vs. Madbum. Regardless of which stadium, huge advantage to the Cubs. The Bucs have nots touched Jake and Cole has been very hittable as of late. Buc fans love his tenacity but he gets into high pitch counts. It's a shame these two teams will only get one more game potentially in the offseason.

Cubs defeat the Diamondbacks 6-4 to sweep them back to Arizona. Cubs scoring the result of HR's by Bryant (solo), Herrera (solo) and Montero (grand slam). Decent performance by Hendricks, Grimm and Rodney. Cahill and Strop roughed up in the ninth but did not relinquish the lead.

Monday, the Cubs begin an eleven day road trip. They face the Cards for three games, the Phillies for four games and the Pirates for three games. It's now or never to make their move.

Last edited:
This heaven?

We gonna have the $$ to pay Dex and another top-of-the-line starter?

Cubs make it look easy by defeating St. Louis 9-0. Dan Haren with 7 innings of shut out baseball gets the win. C.J. Edwards makes his MLB debut with a scoreless eighth and Zac Rosscup returns from Iowa to pitch a 3 strikeout, scoreless ninth. Dexter Fowler and Addison Russell were the big guns offensively. Fowler hit a solo HR to lead off the game and a 2 run double in the second to extend the lead. Addison hit a three run HR to cap off a five run third inning and make this game a laugher. Great start to the series.

I think the only think Jake is going to struggle to pass Kershaw or Greinke for the NL Cy - Kershaw has better advanced stats, Greinke has better standard stats. I think Jake needs to keep up his pace and have Greinke & Kershaw both falter a bit down the stretch.

Its going to be a tough race either way, and all three deserve it this year, some really solid pitchers in the NL this year.

I wish more people realized Arrieta's road stats are better than Greink's road stats (even more true after last night), which seems a pretty even barometer of the two. Maybe it's time to start mass tweeting that at all the baseball scribes

Cy Young will go to the wire. If Arrieta continues his present performance he wins. I realize that wins are out of favor as a measure of effectiveness but the award is named for the pitcher with the most career wins. Arrieta should have 20+. That won't be lost on the older writers. The Cubs will be THE story if they reach the playoffs. He should benefit from that as well.

Cy Young will go to the wire. If Arrieta continues his present performance he wins. I realize that wins are out of favor as a measure of effectiveness but the award is named for the pitcher with the most career wins. Arrieta should have 20+. That won't be lost on the older writers. The Cubs will be THE story if they reach the playoffs. He should benefit from that as well.

Cy was also the career leader in almost every advanced stat too. Your point makes sense, except that he is leading the Cubs to the wild card, Greinke or Kershaw are likely playing on a team guaranteed the NLDS.

I think it is going to be tight either way, would love to see Jake win it.

Also, I said it before, but Addison Russell is starting to live up to his potential - his second half is .268 BA, .312 OBP, .796 OPS, 10% XBH rate, 8 HR, 26 runs scored - all out of the 9 hole. Oh, yeah, and his defense would also rank him 13th in the league, but he does not qualify because he hasn't played enough games.

Starlin making a statement that he wants to be in the everyday line up. If he keeps playing likes this he will.

Your point makes sense, except that he is leading the Cubs to the wild card, Greinke or Kershaw are likely playing on a team guaranteed the NLDS.

I know you're just playing devil's advocate, but this is silly. It's not Arrieta's fault he doesn't pitch in the NL West, or in Dodger Stadium

I know you're just playing devil's advocate, but this is silly. It's not Arrieta's fault he doesn't pitch in the NL West, or in Dodger Stadium

I was talking about his point about voters picking Arrieta because he led them to the playoffs, not park differential. The CY voters are finicky, BlackJack is likely right, but still.

I was talking about his point about voters picking Arrieta because he led them to the playoffs, not park differential

I know, just pointing out factors that work in Jake's favor. Of all the factors to hold against Arrieta, not winning the division when the Cubs will likely have a better record than the Doyers in a superior division is the lamest I can think of. But sportswriters gonna sportswriter so I guess it could happen.

Castro only has 6 XBH in the last three weeks so "bombing" may be an overstatement but good to see he can contribute when we trot him out

Castro only has 6 XBH in the last three weeks so "bombing" may be an overstatement but good to see he can contribute when we trot him out

Right, he's hitting close to .300 since the beginning of August - I would doubt he gets back his power stroke, I want to see him continue what he used to do, get on base, not strike out, move runners and play solid D - he could still be a great player when all is said and done.

Since Castro was demoted he is 22 for 62. That .349 average is the highest on the team over that time frame. No pouting. No complaints. Just wants to contribute and win. I'd like to see that continue. It would be invaluable.

Back