• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Cubs beat the Bucs 3-2 in 12 innings. Arrieta with eight good innings, but does a John Lester imitation on a throw to first that results in an error and an unearned run that cost him the win. Strop, Rodney and Rondon produce four shutout innings of relief. Bryant with 3 hits. Quinton Berry ran for Denorfia after a lead off hit in the 12th. He proceeded to demo why he is on the roster by creating havoc on the bases and scoring the winning run on a shallow fly by Rizzo. An ugly win, but Cub fans are smiling.

Another game, another issue getting runners in - at one point we were 0-9 with RISP before Bryant drove in Rizzo in the 6th - we just have such a tough time getting people home. My guess is a lot of it is the small ball issue, with a team of 3 true outcome guys, leadoff doubles are not as advantageous as they are to a team like the Pirates, who have a lot of guys that get the ball in play. If I remember, we had runners on 2nd or 3rd with 1 or less outs in 3 of the first 5 innings and didn't score - thats tough. I wouldn't mind Joe working on the bunting because outside of Starlins ok squeeze play, we don't do a good job of moving runners along.

Also, and maybe I missed this, but does Rizzo's "slump" have anything to do with the defensive shift they are playing on him now? His K% doesn't seem significantly higher, and his BB and OBP aren't that far off of his, but I am guessing his BABIP in the second half is way down, which has lead to the lower average. Its just a guess, havent read anything about it, but just really started noticing the heavy shift on him recently - it could have been there from before.

Crazy stat - Rizzo has been HBP 27 times this year, next on the team is Bryant at 9. The 36 combined HBP by Rizzo/Bryant is more than 9 other teams as a whole.

This game got physical fast with Schwarber and Kang involved in plays around 2B. Schwarber remains in the game but Kang is removed. Cubs lead 1-0. Hendricks better be sharp early. After facing Lester and Arrieta , Hendricks could resemble a BP pitcher to the Pirates.

Missed scoring opportunities have been a problem on and off all season. Too much swing and miss and insufficient situational hitting. In part the result of four rookies in the lineup. Maddon acknowledges the problem and has been tolerant because the lineup is working the count and players are getting on base. Probably a point of emphasis going forward. Last night five strikeouts looking in run scoring opportunities were on pitches completely out of K zone, most with full counts. Happened to the Pirates twice.

Crazy stat - Rizzo has been HBP 27 times this year, next on the team is Bryant at 9. The 36 combined HBP by Rizzo/Bryant is more than 9 other teams as a whole.

Rizzo is 44th among active players in HBP, but only 301st in Plate Apperances. He gets HBP 1.8% of the time he comes to the plate. Craig Biggio, for reference, was hit 2.3% of the time.

Great inning, need to keep it up. I expect the Pirates to respond. Hope I'm wrong. Would like to see Richard go into shutdown mode.

Boom - Wood stays in for the 2 inning close and strikes out the side in the 9th - No hits, no walks and 5ks in 2 innings of work.

Awesome series win - needed that one - 2 back for homefield - need the Brewcrew to do their job tonight.

I told you guys not to worry about the Phillies series.

KeepCalmCarayWomen400w_large.jpg

Cubs win 9-6 to take 3 out of 4 from the Pirates. Fowler, Rizzo, Bryant, Russell and LaStella with multi-hit games. Every other position player except Jackson with a hit. Richard, Grimm and Wood make a 6 run lead stand up. Kudos to Richard for the win and a two run double in the six run fifth and to Wood for a scoreless eighth and ninth with five strikeouts. Cubs reduced the Bucs WC lead to two and return to Wrigley for three games against the Cardinals.

Back