• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Cubs defeat the Brewers 9-5. Bryant, Rizzo and Castro have multi-hit games to lead the offense. Soler ices the victory with a 3 run pinch hit HR in the seventh. Hammel lasts five innings to earn his ninth win. Bullpen finishes the game giving up one run over the final four innings. Magic number at four.

This team is really coming together. All going to come down to one game like we've thought for some time now.

Good work to get Jake set up for that start too.

Has one division ever had the top three teams in MLB by record at the end of the year?

It has not happened since the wild card started, but has happened twice in the last fifty years or something - was watching something about it yesterday on mlb network - someone was suggesting changing around the playoffs like the NBA does, reseeding once the playoffs start, but people were saying no one should over react to a one off situation.

Arrieta most likely has 3 more starts this year to push his bid for the NL cy - needs one more win to become the cubs first 20 game winner since Jon Lieber in 2001.

Randomly looking up Cubs opening day starters, did not realize that Big Z has the second most opening day starts in Cubs history at 6, one behind Fergie. Crazy. Also made me shudder to look at the opening day starters of the 90's after Maddux left, so bad - Mike Morgan, Terry Mulholland, Steve Trachsel, Kevin Tapani, Jim Bullinger and Jamie Navarro. Going to be honest, I don't even remember who Jim Bullinger is.

Arrieta most likely has 3 more starts this year to push his bid for the NL cy - needs one more win to become the cubs first 20 game winner since Jon Lieber in 2001.

Randomly looking up Cubs opening day starters, did not realize that Big Z has the second most opening day starts in Cubs history at 6, one behind Fergie. Crazy. Also made me shudder to look at the opening day starters of the 90's after Maddux left, so bad - Mike Morgan, Terry Mulholland, Steve Trachsel, Kevin Tapani, Jim Bullinger and Jamie Navarro. Going to be honest, I don't even remember who Jim Bullinger is.

Small righty, #52 IIRC. That is a pretty unimpressive list of day 1 starters.

Bullinger was a converted shortstop I think who had a solid year or two before fading away.

The mention of Big Z brought back memories. One of my favorite Cubs. I thought he would still be pitching ... ala Bartolo Colon. He is only 34 years old. I guess Z was just a little too wild and crazy for the big leagues.

Jorge Soler is certainly making a determined effort to ensure he is on the post season roster.

As is a likely less-safe guy in La Stella. Him or Baez might get a little interesting, not sure there's room for both.

Still haven't figured out how Kevin Tapani shut down the Bravos in the '98 NLDS (though of course we still lost)

As is a likely less-safe guy in La Stella. Him or Baez might get a little interesting, not sure there's room for both.

Still haven't figured out how Kevin Tapani shut down the Bravos in the '98 NLDS (though of course we still lost)

I bet Maddon goes with La Stella over Baez if thats the case - but its close, Baez has looked good in the field and is doing a great job of getting the bat on the ball - his power stroke seems to be missing, and I'm wondering if that is intentional to get him to him not trying to overswing.

Tapani was a decent pickup, I remember thinking when the cubs gave him that deal that he was like a solid #4 pitcher - he was never great, but pretty reliable, like a little better than what Dan Haren, light thrower, but knew how to throw. Looking up his stats, he was worse than I remember, but oh well.

Assuming the Cubs play the Pirates in the wild card game, how is the active roster determined? Is it seperate from the NLDS roster or is it identical? I assume it is the roster to be used if the team advances to the NLDS. If not the roster for this one game playoff could be structured differently. Only one starting pitcher would be required, thus allowing maximum flexibility for that one game.

Assuming the Cubs play the Pirates in the wild card game, how is the active roster determined? Is it seperate from the NLDS roster or is it identical? I assume it is the roster to be used if the team advances to the NLDS. If not the roster for this one game playoff could be structured differently. Only one starting pitcher would be required, thus allowing maximum flexibility for that one game.

Its separate - so the Wild Card roster is completely independent of the expanded roster and different from the LDS roster.

Most likely we go with only 10 or 11 pitchers in the WC game to give Maddon a ton of PH & PR flexibility

The mention of Big Z brought back memories. One of my favorite Cubs. I thought he would still be pitching ... ala Bartolo Colon. He is only 34 years old. I guess Z was just a little too wild and crazy for the big leagues.

Jorge Soler is certainly making a determined effort to ensure he is on the post season roster.

Big Z is definitely one of my favorite Cubs. Gonna be rocking his jersey for the WC game.

Cubs defeat the Brewers 4-0 behind Jake Arrieta's complete game 3 hit shutout, securing Jake's 20th victory. Fowler, Schwarber and Bryant combine to score all four runs and all four RBI"s. Bryant breaks Billy Williams Cub rookie record for home runs by hitting his 26th HR.

Back