• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

As Cubs No-Hit Streak said, the Reds have lost 12 in a row, so surely they're due to win one or (preferably) two in Pittsburgh this weekend.

Right?

Wishful thinking The Reds were due against the Cubs and they didn't come close to ending the streak. Pirates won't be any more compliant than the Cubs.

I'm OK with going to Pittsburgh. Fewer distractions. Underdog mentality. Arrieta. They know they can beat the Bucs. Play well and they will win.

Cubs beat Brewers 6-1 behind Jake Arrieta's six shutout innings. Win number 22 for Jake. Rizzo leads the offense with a two run single and a solo HR.

Hendy can pitch on the road too.

Pressure applied on Pittsburgh. Tomorrow would be a helluva time for JA Happ to start pitching like JA Happ again

Cubs win 1-0. Hendricks gives up one hit and no walks in 6 innings. Bullpen adds 3 shutout innings. Russell drives in Coghlan in the second inning and Cubs make it stand up. A Cub victory and a Pirate loss on Sunday brings the wild card game to Chicago.

Cubs defeat the Brewers 3-1 to end the regular season with a 97-65 record. Finished the season on an 8 game winning streak they intend to extend to nine games against the Pirates in the one game wild card playoff Wednesday night in Pittsburgh. Congrats to Dan Haren for a quality six inning start to win his eleventh game of the season in what may be his last game in MLB. Congrats to Anthony Rizzo on driving in RBI's 100 and 101 to give the Cubs a lead the would not relinquish.

Amazing that 97 wins leaves you on the road in the wc game. Crazy year.

It's amazing that the teams in the WC game have better records than every other team in the majors, outside of St. Louis.

Big moves by Maddon pay dividends.

Travis Wood removed from the starting rotation to the bullpen. Wood response... 45 G, 58 IP, 43 H, 27 BB, 71 K, 3 W, 2 L, 4 SV, 4 SVO, 2.95 ERA, .207 OBA, .121 WHIP.

Starlin Castro removed as everyday shortstop on August 7. Castro response...136 AB, 18 R, 48 H, 80 TB, 12 2B, 1 3B, 6 HR, 23 RBI, 3BB, 23 K, .353 AVG. .367 OBP, .588 SLG, .955 OPS.

A tip of the hat to Maddon for making the moves and to Wood and Castro for their mature response and outstanding production in their new roles. When your veterans show that type of leadership expect good things.

Cub's record since August 7...37-17.

Last edited:
25 man for tonight (only). Little surprising both Lester and Hendricks make the cut:

CQuJM5JW8AAog-f.png

25 man for tonight (only). Little surprising both Lester and Hendricks make the cut:

CQuJM5JW8AAog-f.png

Lester is only for the right matchup - only have two lefties in the pen and this is likely and overuse of the bullpen game if/once Jake gets pulled. As far as Hendricks, I trust him to get one out more than Ramirez, Rosscup or Hunter right now. I imagine it was a tossup between him and Edwards.

I was supposed to work tonight, but that got called off. I'm glad I don't have to fake paying attention to work while I was watching the game.

Some odd choices for tonight - La Stella playing 3rd and batting 5th, Arrieta batting 9th, Bryant in LF. Fowler/Warbird/Bryant/Rizzo/TLS/Castro/Montero/Russell/Arrieta.

I hope playing three guys in positions they ain't accustomed to won't come back to bite.

But you gotta trust Joe. The main ain't skeered, that's for sure

Back