• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Gotta sweep the Indians because the Brewers are playing the trash diamondbacks so that’s almost a guaranteed sweep.

Some forms of fear never leave. He is 41 years old. He is well past his prime. I haven't seen him much in ten years.

When Albert Pujols came to the plate in the first inning with two men on base, that old feeling of dread returned. A one man wreaking crew vs. the Cubs.

Davies, Tepera, Chafin and Kimbrel combine for a no hit shutout. All four issued a walk as well. Ross using his top relievers to maintain the no hitter gives the efforts of Tepera and Chafin a spotlight for their efforts this year and all four a small spot in the HOF.

Everyone was smiling but slightly confused regarding who to congratulate. Contreras seemed the late winner.

What a great game - I was driving until 11 PM, stopped in Spartanburg for the night and my 11 year old and I stayed up til 1 AM watching the game. Amazing and completely unexpected.

All the noise still sounds like Cubs are willing to go all in this season if they think they can make a run. With the Nats heating up, might take Scherzer off the menu. Leaves only a few true upgrades (re: Playoff Starters) on the market. Jon Gray maybe? Jose Berrios if they Cubs want to throw in some prospects, but not expecting that - I would think he would love to come to Chicago as he is good friends with Javy. John Means would cost way too much in prospect capital - same with the Marlins starters (Alcantara & Lopez). Mike Minor, Dylan Bundy, Alex Cobb, if you buy into change of scenery. Not sure whats left. Arrieta and Mills aren't performing, might see an Arrieta injury or a Mills DFA if they get desperate with injuries coming back depending on the next two games.

Still would like another OF bat too. Wisdom is raking and Nico is set to be back in a week or so, might push til after ASG - but one more impact RH bat to platoon with Joc/JHey would be huge. Maybe that guy is Marisnick, but his history would seem like he is over producing at the plate right now. Kinda shocked they haven't grabbed a real backup catcher yet either, cause Lobaton isn't the answer and don't want Willy dead by the end of the season.

A second catcher is imperative. Tony Wolters remains in the organization and has begun to hit at Iowa but would require a roster move. His career stats are the most impressive of all internal candidates.

Trevor Williams, Justin Steele and Dillon Maples are headed to the minors for rehab. Maples will likely return first and resume his role pitching one or two innings when the Cubs trail on the scoreboard. It's not glamourous, but he has pitched well in that role to keep the score close. Williams will take time to stretch out. Cubs should do the same with Steele. He one bad appearance in eleven games and advanced to a leveraged role. He was strictly a starter in the minors and the Cubs could use a LHP in the starting rotation. Wieck has joined Brothers and Chafin as LHP in the pen so the time is right.

I have more confidence in Mills than Arrieta. That's not saying much. Jake's struggling making the changes required by diminished power. That is a career ender for many stars. It generally requires a season or two of diminished performance for those pitchers who successfully adapt. This team doesn't have a season or two, the window is on the way down. We will know more about Mills after his next two starts. If he has command of his pitches he contributes.

Hendricks, Alzolay and Davies have developed consistency. They have holes but have survived despite them. The depth of pitching staff in relief has been outstanding and extends to Iowa.

Scoring runs has become difficult. I doubt we see Hoerner, Bote or Duffy return before the ASG. All will require some rehab before their return. JHey is getting the luck that usually comes before a return to production. Everyone else is a crapshoot. Good moments interrupting long stretches of silence. Fortunately, the defense has been good and has combined with pitching to keep the team at .500 for the month.

Still not sure what review the umps saw that said that ball was foul - I thought it had to be conclusive to overturn. Oh well.

Third base umpire called it a home run. Home run call was overturned by the umpires on the field. Cubs challenged and lost review. I never saw the ball cross in front of the foul pole on any of the videos. Seems like the Cubs got the short end of the stick. Game changer.

Tepera has lost his mojo, his pinpoint command and likely his position with Chafin and Kimbrel. It was a good eighteen game run.

It won't be Trevor Megill who just arrived from Iowa. Faced six hitters and all scored.

Gotta hope the Brew crew got all of their scoring in the series out of their system.

Rizzo looks to be out awhile - no real replacement. 4 games back. Need to win the next 2 to stay close - with the Brewers having the easiest schedule in the majors for the next month, not much wiggle room to go through these types of losing streaks.

Our schedule lightens a little after June should be able to keep pace better. Need to add some starting pitching tbh. Tepera has flamed out. Need to find a replacement. I recommend keeping a starter in the pen for longer relief stints if at all possible.

Selected Adam Morgan from Iowa
Optioned McGill to Iowa
Duffy transferred to 60 Day IL?!?!?!
Tepera on IL for sucking. I mean left calf strain
Nance called back

Boy do I wish we had Schwarbs back on the team. Could help fill the gaps and play backup catcher.

Some good all-star news - Brennan Davis and Manny Rodriguez playing for Cubs in the Futures game. Would be nice to see them both put on a show - Manny is a K machine reliever, can touch 99-100 and has a nice curve.

Its time to end the Jake comeback. Hopefully they can just put him out to pasture on an IL stint instead of having to DFA, which would suck.

2020 Chicago Cubs Thread 60 Games Here We Go

This is atrocious. Shit pitching with walks got them within 1. Wisdom is only hurt because Jake can’t pitch his way out of bag. I have no faith in us to win this game.

This def has all the makings of a season-turning game.

Bad timing to get the Brewers after they had built up mega confidence playing the Rockies and Dbacks

I just turned it off. I’m done with them today. There is absolutely no excuse for being up 7-0 in the first to down 9-7 in the fourth.

Back