• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Javy definitely playing himself into a huge contract. Cubs aren't going to pony up to sign him, happy for him, though - seems like his time with Mets is getting even more national attention to his play.

Javy definitely playing himself into a huge contract. Cubs aren't going to pony up to sign him, happy for him, though - seems like his time with Mets is getting even more national attention to his play.

It stinks being the large market team with one of the highest revenues and not wanting to pay top money for top players.

It stinks being the large market team with one of the highest revenues and not wanting to pay top money for top players.

The Dodgers are 97-54. They've been in the mix forever. The Cubs window flung open and slammed shut. I don't get it.

Hard to believe the Ricketts think they can get away with this and charge top ticket prices, but I guess a fan base used to following the loveable losers in a cool, old ballpark will put up with it.

I would like to have Javy back, but I don't blame the Cubs for not wanting to sign him to a huge long-term deal given some of his flaws.

The free agent market is flooded with quality 2B/SS:

Trevor Story
Cory Seager
Javy Baez
Marcus Semien
Carlos Correa
Andrelton Simmons

Not enough teams to give all of those guys big contracts as many of the big money teams are already set in the middle infield. Toronto signed Semien for a bargain price last year; think the same thing will happen this year.

The free agent market is flooded with quality 2B/SS:

Trevor Story
Cory Seager
Javy Baez
Marcus Semien
Carlos Correa
Andrelton Simmons

Not enough teams to give all of those guys big contracts as many of the big money teams are already set in the middle infield. Toronto signed Semien for a bargain price last year; think the same thing will happen this year.

I am not a farm-head, but apparently there is a lot of buzz about prospects within the org. I don't think overpaying for a mature position player makes as much sense when we have replacement goods on hand. Let's go got some pitching.

Hoerner at SS and Madrigal at 2B may be the play. If a bargain occurs Cubs take it.

Pitching requires a rebuild. There appear to be some decent arms in the system but all require experience and seasoning. That may come next year.

One or two high priced free agents won't move the needle. Cast a wider net at more affordable terms. Wisdom, Ortega and Schwindel have opened eyes. If any of them are capable of replicating their AAA numbers over an entire season(s) they are an upgrade.

I am not a farm-head, but apparently there is a lot of buzz about prospects within the org. I don't think overpaying for a mature position player makes as much sense when we have replacement goods on hand. Let's go got some pitching.

Tons of MIF in the minors, but most are 2+ years away. SS is a need position for the Cubs for 2021, but maybe not the most neediest - Hoerner is a gold glove 2B, he's an ok SS. Madrigal is a subpar defensive 2B. You gotta get Nicks bat in the lineup, so you gotta assume those two are the de facto starters next year, but a move to 1B or CF for either is an option if you want to go out and get Correa or Seager. I don't think the Cubs will pay for it, but there are a lot of talking heads saying Cubs have liked Correa for a looooong time.

A lineup of Schwindel, Mad, Hoerner, Wisdom, Happ, Ortega, JHey is not winning a lot of games and the Cubs have a ton of cap money, just not sure where they spend it. Gut says higher AAV, lower year FAs, but who knows.

Hoerner at SS and Madrigal at 2B may be the play. If a bargain occurs Cubs take it.

Pitching requires a rebuild. There appear to be some decent arms in the system but all require experience and seasoning. That may come next year.

One or two high priced free agents won't move the needle. Cast a wider net at more affordable terms. Wisdom, Ortega and Schwindel have opened eyes. If any of them are capable of replicating their AAA numbers over an entire season(s) they are an upgrade.

Steele, Alzolay and Thompson have a place on the team, just not sure if that is starter or pen - they would be elite pen options if the Cubs can find 5 starters better. Heuer and Wick will be fine at the back of the pen. Kyle is back. Need 7 more pitchers. Gotta assume ManRod, Leeper, Little will be given chances in the pen. Marquez too, if healthy. Basically just need 4 starters haha.

All they need to do is sign Gausman, Greinke, Scherzer and Stroman and they are set. Seems easy.

Cubs also need a legitimate catcher behind Contreras. Wilson has a more productive bat if rested. Chirinos plugged an enormous hole but will be 38 next year. Caratini was missed.

I'm not sure I understand the 'wait for Amaya' talk. His minor league stats indicate he is a terrible hitter with little power. He may be young for AA but he will need to take a big step up next year. Davis appears to be the only surefire minor leaguer in the system.

It's been a while and for good reason. Some thoughts at season end.

Cubs set an all time major league record by using 69 players over the course of a season that brought an end to one of the most successful periods in their 146 year history.

First order of business will be to trim their roster from 53 players to 40 by the conclusion of the World Series.

From the rubble of the roster I found 26 players that could form an active working major league roster for 2022.

Pitchers (13)...Jason Adam. Adbert Alzolay. Scott Effross. Kyle Hendricks. Codi Heuer. Alec Mills. Adam Morgan. Manny Rodriguez. Adrian Sampson. Justin Steele. Keegan Thompson. Rowan Wick. Brad Wieck.

Position Players (13)...Wilson Contreras. Robinson Chirinos. David Bote. Matt Duffy. Nico Hoerner. Nick Madrigal. Alfonso Rivas. Frank Schwindel. Patrick Wisdom. Ian Happ. Michael Hermosillo. Jason Heyward. Rafael Ortega.

Surprisingly, the offensive numbers improved over the final two months by .5 runs/game and across every statistical category. The pitching was simply atrocious and is likely the primary focus of reconstruction.

This thread has spanned seven years and has seen the World Championship we all hoped for realized. Though I have never met any of you in person, I appreciate our conversations more than I can communicate. Thank you.

Last edited:
Who started this thread? Can the ownership or whatever be transferred so we can change the title

Wakeforest22890, also known as Numbers. His last post was in January 2021, so I imagine real life has become more important than OGBoards. We could start a new thread and close this one.

It could be fitting considering we are at the end of the latest window. Start fresh with whatever is coming next with the Cubs.

Back