• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Rescheduling games with the Cardinals should prove interesting. The Cubs aren't scheduled to play any more games in St. Louis. The remaining seven games are scheduled for Chicago. There are three open dates in August (20, 27, 31) and two in September (14, 17) before season's end. Are there open dates at season's end available to reschedule cancelled games? This assumes the season proceeds to the end. A dubious assumption.

This is gonna suck for our schedule - likely adds a couple DHs and removes at least 1 off day if not 2.

I dont think the Cards play again until next week, their makeup schedule is going to be intense. I hope MLB gets rid of the walk back to a 25/26 man roster and just keeps it at 30.

Q appears to be getting closer - has a 45 pitch simulated game today. There are a bunch of stories out there on him, from putting him in the pen as a closer to trading him. We need all the pitching we can get this year and with the trade deadline being a question mark if there will be sellers or not with the playoff format, I think you put him out there wherever you can. Chatwood wasn't horrible as a reliever last year - and can easily go 6-8 outs in relief. Wouldn't mind that switch.

Also looks like Mills is getting skipped in the rotation, as we throw Lester tonight, then start back with Hendricks and Darvish in games 2 and 3 of the Indians series.

Return to action with a W. Lester and Heyward lead the way. Seven starters collect a hit and score a run for a balanced offense.

Tepera with a clean inning in relief. Third in a row. Ross gave Rea an opportunity to prove his first appearance wasn't an illusion. Rea fills the strike zone for two scoreless innings.

2020 Chicago Cubs Thread 60 Games Here We Go

Cubs-Brewers on Big FOX tonight. Cubs up 1-0 at the end of the first by way of some small ball.

Darvish has improved. He can make a baseball go more different directions at such a variety of speeds...

The 6-3 putout in the top of the ninth looked like an El Mago best play, except it was Bote. LOL.

Maybe it's beginners luck, but David Ross looks like he knows how to use a pitching staff.

Dismal game. Baez with a golden sombrero and Contreras with a hat trick in a game where half of the outs were by K.

Bryant bypassed twice as a pinch hitter against Hader late with the game on the line. Souza and Phegley were the choices. Maybe more than "an abundance of caution" involved with the injury.

Dismal game. Baez with a golden sombrero and Contreras with a hat trick in a game where half of the outs were by K.

Bryant bypassed twice as a pinch hitter against Hader late with the game on the line. Souza and Phegley were the choices. Maybe more than "an abundance of caution" involved with the injury.

Big k by Baez in the 5th with runners on second and third and one out. Brewers take the lead top of the 6th after Cubs strand 2. Gotta get one more run in that situation.

It happens. Brewers had a fresh pen - they cant throw Peralta and Hader every night after those pitch counts.

Lotta left on bases - but its pretty obvious now that Phegley should not be an offensive player, I would rather see a lefty against Hader, even with his numbers. Mills looked good, one bad at bat ruins his night. Tepera looked good too. Not super encouraged by Kimbrel getting through an inning without giving up a run because he left a lot of stuff over the middle, Gamel and Pina just missed. The at bat against Garcia was great, though - started 98 MPH, but fell back into 95/96 by the end of the inning.

Baez and Schwarber both looked bad in the fifth. HR swings when a single would plate two.

Mills pitched well. One mistake. Agree on Tepera. Patience with Kimbrel. He made another step toward relevance.

I like Kipnis. He plays with a smile.

Welcome to a day in the rotation Colin Rea. Sunny afternoon with the wind blowing out.

Being a wake fan has given me sports PTSD. I now constantly live waiting for the wheels to fall off...

Rea is a good RP. Jeffress shouldn't go past 1 inning.

Lot of bad at bats though - I like the approach of working the count, but there are so many times they end up in 0-2 or 1-2 counts and get nothing to hit. Souza gets a first pitch fastball and deposited it.

Agree. The top of the order has looked lousy, in part because of working the count. The best pitch they will get is the first or second. Over swinging is producing lack of contact and too many K's. A lot of frustration. Time to simplify and shoot line drives, the big hits will follow.

I imagine Ross is considering a lineup shuffle. Bryant hitting .196 in the lead off spot. No one else in the top 5 has a great BA. Kipnis has been a nice surprise as has Happ. Always a question if you move a hot player. See Heyward last (?) year.

Fantastic 4 run rally in the 6th, keyed by a two out, three run pinch hit homer from David Bote gives the Cubs a split in the doubleheader against the Cardinals. The win also broke a very frustrating 4 game losing streak and will hopefully give the Cubs the momentum to get hot again. Happy for Duane Underwood Jr who pitched well in relief and got his 1st MLB win. Kudos to Jeremy Jeffress who pitched a dominating 7th (final) inning to get the save.

W. Darvish continues to pitch well, and the offense puts up 6 runs. Happ goes 2-3 with 2 walks leading off.

Back