• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

I'm surprised. Theo built a winning organization that won a championship and I'm grateful for his efforts and his expertise.

Jed Hoyer has his work cut out for him.

Last edited:
It was definitely coming - surprised he left $10 mil on the table though. But, there is a rumor out there he wanted to leave before the full on blow-up/rebuild that is coming. We'll see - Cubs telling everyone they are open for business again, but have heard that the last couple years.

Today is the last day to tender contracts to players with service time remaining. All noise coming out of the Cubs is that money is tight, but Bryant, Baez, Contreras, Happ, Caratini are locks - Schwarber, however, is not. A lot of talk coming from talking heads that the Cubs may just walk away from Schwarbs and his $8 mil or so. Seems really stupid, but if it does happen, that likely means they couldn't find a trade partner that would give them anything for him... which also seems unlikely. He had a really bad 2020, but I can't see it. I would not be surprised if they tender him and then continue to shop him - LF could definitely be upgraded with a different kind of bat.

Im guessing Tepara and Winkler get tendered - Rea maybe too, as he was halfway decent in the pen and not sure you get much better on the market for $1 mil or so - and then Jose Martinez, AA are not.

This feels like the whole "run it back for 1 more year" thing, which Hoyer said he likely wasn't going to do - but just letting players go without any compensation seems dumb. I think if the Cubs do run it back with a patchwork 4th and 5th starter, they still have a shot to win the Central, because it stinks - but they would need vast offensive improvements to make any noise.

It is unlikely that Bryant and Baez will have another off year like they did this year so that will help. It will especially help if Happ and Heyward keep up their production. I heard Happ on the radio yesterday and he definitely seems like he is in the right head space to keep improving.

If we can get another bat to replace Schwarbs and tighten up our starters I like our chances.

You know if the Cubs walk away from Schwarber, he will light it up with whatever team picks him up.

I expect this winter to offer the largest free agent pool ever. I expect the price to sign a free agent to be much lower. All the owners lost money last year and there is little to suggest next season will be normal. The owners could be looking at another year deep in red ink. The introduction of vaccines will not prevent the worst that the pandemic will offer. That worst is just beginning.

The Cubs most valuable trade chip is Contreras. I would be tempted to use it. He should return a top line position player or pitcher. I would want Schwarber signed to team friendly 3-4 year contract. Caratini is solid if not spectacular. Schwarber's bat is much more attractive behind the plate. He has limited value as an outfielder or DH. His bat as a catcher is all star. I've been of the belief the reason he hasn't fulfilled his potential as a hitter is the result of not playing behind the plate. He needs to see pitching to reach full bloom. If I'm an opposing GM I'd trade for Schwarber with that plan.

Tender Almora. I think the Cubs wanted him to focus on hitting with more power. Pull the ball more. Management can screw up more hitters than they improve. Encourage him to return to hitting to all fields, going with the pitch. He did that well. Theo gave up on DJ Lamahieu for the same reason. Look what happened when the Rockies let him be the player he was. Lou Brock concurs. A gold glove outfieder that hits .280 to .300 is an asset.

I get the need for lefty arms, but keeping Ryan and cutting Tepera seems like a horrible move. Did anyone watch Ryan pitch this year? He was horribad - can't imagine he would have gotten more than a minor league contract on the open market.

Chris Myers? The Ricketts and Kenney have no idea what they are doing. This Marquee thing is a disaster, and hasn't seemed to help them gain any financial leverage.

I remarked to a co-worker yesterday that the Cubs should just blow it up this season because fans aren't going to be allowed in the stands anyway. Now I'm doubly convinced they should because nobody is going to watch it on TV either.

I remarked to a co-worker yesterday that the Cubs should just blow it up this season because fans aren't going to be allowed in the stands anyway. Now I'm doubly convinced they should because nobody is going to watch it on TV either.

Probably true. Still need to figure out a way to draft or develop pitchers. If they do blow it up, probably just need to extend Riz, leave him and JHey as the voices in the locker room and flip anyone else that has value. Maybe keep Willy - but at this point, Willy, Baez and KB aren't complementary pieces, the player the Cubs have coveted and drafted or traded for all have similar qualities, which are great when they are taking walks and hitting bombs, but the bad stretches in the last few years have shown they can't overcome bad offense, even with their pitching being above average every year with cobbled together staffs.

Hot stove news for the Cubs. Shocking, I know. Apparently they are interested in JBJ. Ok, I guess, signing another weak bat, great defender to the offense means we need to hope for a bunch of 1-0 wins, I guess.

Brantley would be a much better fit if we are going for a 30-something OF, but guessing JBJ comes cheaper, improves our defense, and he strikes out 20% less than Schwarbs?

Hot stove news for the Cubs. Shocking, I know. Apparently they are interested in JBJ. Ok, I guess, signing another weak bat, great defender to the offense means we need to hope for a bunch of 1-0 wins, I guess.

Brantley would be a much better fit if we are going for a 30-something OF, but guessing JBJ comes cheaper, improves our defense, and he strikes out 20% less than Schwarbs?

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...ested-in-a-real-free-agent-jackie-bradley-jr/

It certainly would be nice to have a real leadoff man and center fielder for a change...Doesn't steal many bases, but in this era of waiting for the long ball, who cares?!

What a fucking joke. Didn't get any of the Pads top 10 prospects. Salary dump for, what should be, one of the biggest spenders in the league.

This is a precursor. Bryant definitely gone now. Others too.

Davies not a Darvish but he's not chopped liver. Lost depth at catcher but it can be replaced. Cubs lose $18-20 million in salary. It's not like the front office has failed to identify prospects with a future.

Back