• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Wakeforest22890

Snowpom
Reaction score
Since the other thread was a few years old I figured we could start a new one for this season since there are a solid number of Cubs fans on the boards. As I said in the other thread last night was a little disappointing but it feels good to have that excitement around the club even with a loss and a shutout. Wainwright is so good at getting guys to chase balls right on the edges of the zone and there was a massive strike zone last night.

Soler struggled in right field defensively and I thought Montero was pretty bad on his throws to second along with Ross (seemingly coming up short every time). Arrieta gets the ball tomorrow night against the Cards.

Last edited:
We walked around Wrigley last night before the game and the energy was unlike any opener I've been around. May have been impossible not to disappoint.

They made the stadium look decent on tv despite being a warzone in reality. Tons of complaints of 30 minute bathroom lines, concessions running out of food, and the walkways being deadlocked. It's a nice jumbotron though.

I think we're gonna suck again. That's my #hottake from last night and game one.

That being said I'm doubling down this year on our Cubbies. I miss caring about this team on a day-to-day basis. My two HS buddies who are also Cubs fans both texted me last night. So I'm IN on the vibes.
Kris Bryant can't get called up soon enough.

We walked around Wrigley last night before the game and the energy was unlike any opener I've been around. May have been impossible not to disappoint.

They made the stadium look decent on tv despite being a warzone in reality. Tons of complaints of 30 minute bathroom lines, concessions running out of food, and the walkways being deadlocked. It's a nice jumbotron though.

so BB&T Field/Groves Stadium really is the Wrigley Field of college football

2015 Chicago Cubs Thread (0-1, bats dead in opener)

I really need to make a Wrigley/Chicago trip. It will be three summers since I've been back. Anyone wanna go mid-June? I've got an ex-GF that wouldn't mind me crashing with her.

Maybe.

I think we're gonna suck again. That's my #hottake from last night and game one..

There's going to be a lot of ups and downs this year. My take is 80-83 wins, with next year being when we are actually in the playoff hunt.

It'll be interesting to see what we end up doing with Russell / Castro. Perhaps move Castro to 3rd and play Bryant in Left. Or deal Castro because he's an airhead. Having too much young talent is a good problem to have.

Bro we have so many #assets. And this has always been my most realistic shot at a championship.

As a 15 year old I swore an oath to our Norse gods that if Wake basketball/football, the Cubs, or the USMNT ever won it all that I'd set a car on fire. 13 years later I'm still committed to this goal. Of course I'd just buy a super shitty used car and just burn that.

I think we're gonna suck again. That's my #hottake from last night and game one.

That being said I'm doubling down this year on our Cubbies. I miss caring about this team on a day-to-day basis. My two HS buddies who are also Cubs fans both texted me last night. So I'm IN on the vibes.
Kris Bryant can't get called up soon enough.

Yep I think he'll be up as soon as the required number of games pass to get us that extra year with him.

This team has a very high upside and a very low downside. I expect something in the ballpark of 81 wins (so .500). Everything I've read in the offseason said that no matter what happens it should be fun watching the Cubs this year. So that's nice.

So this thread is a thing again huh? People will be happy to get my cubs ranting out of the general baseball thread.

Cubs should be ok, still young - their issues will get better, I will take 13 chances with RISP every game. Need to get Rizzo back on his game, he had a rough spring, hoping that doesn't mean a slow start.

Also, it was cool to see the whole flexibility angle that Maddon brings - 2 pinch hitters, both end up staying in the game in double switches to get better batting orders. Also good to see Mendy work a count and take a walk.

Since the other thread was a few years old I figured we could start a new one for this season since there are a solid number of Cubs fans on the boards. As I said in the other thread last night was a little disappointing but it feels good to have that excitement around the club even with a loss and a shutout. Wainwright is so good at getting guys to chase balls right on the edges of the zone and there was a massive strike zone last night.

Soler struggled in right field defensively and I thought Montero was pretty bad on his throws to second along with Ross (seemingly coming up short every time). Arrieta gets the ball tomorrow night against the Cards.

Just a bad game for Soler, he has a cannon and I could easily see him lead the league in outfield assists.

I think we will wind up dealing Castro for some pitching later in the year. What are we doing at second base though? Russell will be the everyday shortstop and we could move Castro to second for a while.

Just a bad game for Soler, he has a cannon and I could easily see him lead the league in outfield assists.

Feed Soler a steady stream of curveballs and he is constant K's. Do not feed him fastballs or he will go deep.

P.S. Go Cards

Thanks for starting this thread WF22890. Sure looked like the Cubs last night. Shaky defense, no hits in the clutch. I didn't realize Lester had a thing about throwing a baseball to a base. Not good. Anyone know more about this than was mentioned last night?

They did a pretty thorough job talking through everything. Lester will be fine pitching-wise once he gets some more innings under his belt. Needs to figure out how to throw to first sooner than later.

My Dad wants to make his first trip to Wrigley this summer (he's a big Joe Maddon fan). I've been a bunch, but the renovations thing is concerning. I was thinking about heading up for the August series against the Giants--I'm guessing the upgrades will be done by then?

The bleachers should be completed by the end of June. IIRC, the renovations/upgrades are extensive and are a multi-year project. It's your dad, go regardless. FWIW, I think the success or failure of this team depends on the pitching and improving the defense.

Last edited:
Yep May for left field and all-star break for the right field ones I believe they said. It's a five year project overall though.

Back