• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Nico is making all the plays at shortstop. If the Cubs could sign Correa or Turner, Nico would move. I doubt the Cubs are counting on that happening and will structure for the future with Nico at SS. Bird in hand.

Its nice to play the Reds - Steele and Thompson both looking like real MLB starters, Morel uncorks some ropes from CF, all-stars are hitting, Nico up over .300. Cubs are 6-6 in their last 12.

Even the Cubs ballboy is perfect.

Everybody fattened their hitting stats tonight. Hendricks with a quality start. Morel added 28 points to his batting average in the past two games. Might as well enjoy the good days when they come.

So what's the book on Morel- could he be legit or just a flash in the pan?

No book on Morel. He has made better contact the past three days and early numbers are good. He covers ground in centerfield but he has had difficulty tracking balls over his head that have cost the team runs. Good arm. Good speed. Good playful attitude. He got an opportunity and has seized it with both hands.

PJ Higgins has made a place for himself on the roster. Third catcher and a good backup at third and first. Good defense and has shown he can hit.

Nelson Velazquez has showed skills in limited opportunities.

I have enjoyed watching long time minor league players succeed given a legit opportunity. The kids have shown skills for the future. It should be an interesting second half.

So what's the book on Morel- could he be legit or just a flash in the pan?

Thing with Morel is he is showing better plate discipline now - the pop is real, as long as he can keep up his average, he is a legit player. Now, granted, 2022 is his best professional year, but all his skills are showing. He will be given every chance to keep this going - he might settle into more of a PWiz at the plate, but I think that's ok if he keeps growing as a CF. At least until PCA takes over in a couple years.

Anyone catch the game yesterday? I finally subscribed to MLB.com so I can actually see the Cubs, and I saw a) parts of a solid outing from Steele, b) inside the park Cubs HR, c) great 8th inning from Givens, d) blown save from Robertson, and e) Cubs failing to score in the 10th with a runner at third and no one out (Contreras strikes out with 1 out). And then f) ex Cub Caratini winning it with a 10th inning homer. I still can't believe that even the Cubs couldn't get the runner home from third with three cracks at it.

I saw the game on MLB as well. You saw some of the reasons the Cubs are fighting to stay out of last place.

Anyone catch the game yesterday? I finally subscribed to MLB.com so I can actually see the Cubs, and I saw a) parts of a solid outing from Steele, b) inside the park Cubs HR, c) great 8th inning from Givens, d) blown save from Robertson, and e) Cubs failing to score in the 10th with a runner at third and no one out (Contreras strikes out with 1 out). And then f) ex Cub Caratini winning it with a 10th inning homer. I still can't believe that even the Cubs couldn't get the runner home from third with three cracks at it.

Robertson is good, that was just an off day - he should fetch something good in trade. The biggest problem the Cubs have is that there is upside everywhere - SP, RP, across the diamond - but there is a lot of youth and a lot of question marks with that upside. Some games, everything comes together, some games everything falls apart - some games, you see an amazing start by a young guy and then someone reliable blow it.

The pen is short on "dependable" - Robertson has been good, everyone is has good spurts, but you can't count on them. Givens is a good pitcher and hopefully settling into that setup role. Morel, Hoerner, Ortega and Velazquez all look like solid major league talent, but the lack of consistency means runs are going to be a premium and you need Willy and Happ to show up every night - and of course Suzuki, who should be the rookie of year if he can stay healthy the rest of the year.... unless its stolen by Morel.

The Cubs are on pace for 65-97, but, fully healthy, this team is probably a 75ish win team - which isn't horrible, likely means Cubs are 2-3 pieces away from competitive, which is nice to see. Comments from Correa about last offseason aren't super positive, but maybe he doesn't see rebuilding for 2023 and beyond. And with the potential FA and opt outs of Rodon, DeGrom, Kershaw, Eovaldi, Verlander - there is likely going to be at least one ace on the market.

Help me out here - Cubs don't want to pay Contreras, an all-star caliber catcher. But they appear to be looking at other big name free agents such as Correa. So why not just keep the all-star catcher and pay him? Does the front office think it can get a couple of majors ready players in exchange for Contreras? There remain a lot of needs, so if they think they can address two plus in exchange for one, maybe it makes sense.

Comeback win in the 8th/9th and strong pitching. Higgins both RBI. 7/3 last 10.

Help me out here - Cubs don't want to pay Contreras, an all-star caliber catcher. But they appear to be looking at other big name free agents such as Correa. So why not just keep the all-star catcher and pay him? Does the front office think it can get a couple of majors ready players in exchange for Contreras? There remain a lot of needs, so if they think they can address two plus in exchange for one, maybe it makes sense.

Well, ignore everything I've said in the past - rumors saying unless the Cubs can make a big run before the end of July, likely selloff coming of everything not injured or nailed down.

That means Willy, Happ, Hendricks, Robertson are gone - Miley, Smyly, Stroman will be too if they can come back from injury and show anything (not likely) - Ortega may be moved, Givens likely gone. Guess is they don't think this core can be built around to be a contender. Willy could have been extended last year for much less, now he's having one of his best years and is gonna ask for big money, so the Cubs shot themselves in the foot if that was ever something they even considered. He should fetch something good - and the likely answer to your question is that they can get more talent by moving Willy and Happ and weren't going to resign them anyway. Would assume we see a move for more major league ready or closer talent with these trades.

I would assume from the MLB roster - Suzuki, Morel, Hoerner, Wisdom, Thompson, Steele, Velasquez are all safe. And the Cubs hoping the farm will supplement - but, especially based on the comments from Correa and Judge, Cubs aren't getting any big time free agents if they show they are going to continue the full rebuild through 2023.

Kyle Schwarber continues to prove Jed wrong - what a waste that was.

Well, that's disappointing to hear. It will be interesting to see what the Cubs' catcher situation looks like the next 5 years...I'd wager they will go through several guys, none of whom will be close to as valuable as Contreras. Hopefully I'm wrong. Isn't there a guy in the minors whom the Cubs hope is near ready?

Well, that's disappointing to hear. It will be interesting to see what the Cubs' catcher situation looks like the next 5 years...I'd wager they will go through several guys, none of whom will be close to as valuable as Contreras. Hopefully I'm wrong. Isn't there a guy in the minors whom the Cubs hope is near ready?

Miguel Amaya was on a good path, but hes been hurt and his bat isn't progressing, so assuming he is going to be a dud or org catcher or something. I think everyone saw in him what happened with Willy - he has a strong arm and defense is good, but his bat wasn't great - pre pandemic the switch looked like it flipped and he was hitting for power while still maintaining a high OBP. But, he has only played in a few games since 2019 and none of them looked particularly good, so he's now an old 23 year old that likely needs to start back in A or high A.

Cubs on the road for the next 7 games, may be the last time Willy and Happ play in Wrigley as Cubs. Great standing O for Contreras' first AB. You can add Robertson and Givens to the list too, but they were rentals (Smyly? Ortega? Hendo? Stro?).

Also, Cubs going for the sweep and a 6 game win streak - means nothing, but nice to see the Cubs pen close out some close games after blowing the last 50 or so of them.

It should be an interesting week as the trade deadline approaches. None of the trade candidates has the star power of the players who departed last year, so the offers may be for less than anticipated.

Contreras is more valuable as a catcher, but his value to a pitching staff may be diminished as a short term option. His skills behind the plate remain and he is an enormous upgrade for most teams offensively.

Morel, Higgins and Velazquez have played better than anticipated. There is an obvious benefit to being on the roster. Adrian Sampson has duplicated last season's look. Nothing spectacular but solid and consistent.

The team has played well since the all star break. Everyone is contributing. Winning is always more pleasant than losing.

Contreras and Happ remain Cubs surprisingly. Several bullpen pieces traded for prospects. Contreras is a free agent after this season.

Contreras and Happ remain Cubs surprisingly. Several bullpen pieces traded for prospects. Contreras is a free agent after this season.

Seems he translates to a draft pick. He is gonna be unhappy as that will diminish his overall value.

Back