• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sepp the Incorruptible

Sepp reminds my of Rod Blagojevich in terms of blatant brazenness.

11147244_10153337165588839_6510125618771579920_o.jpg

I think the Pharoahs had better workplace safety.

How does that excuse him from not taking action on the full corruption report that was presented to FIFA and then releasing an abridged white washed version? That is willful coverup, not ignorance.

I think the Pharoahs had better workplace safety.

I read some stuff on reddit that makes me think the stats behind this are garbage. Something about considering all deaths of all workers in the country (including off the job) as counting in this graph. I imagine the conditions are deplorable but think these stats are being manipulated for shock value.

I read some stuff on reddit that makes me think the stats behind this are garbage. Something about considering all deaths of all workers in the country (including off the job) as counting in this graph. I imagine the conditions are deplorable but think these stats are being manipulated for shock value.

Agreed. It's probably only 500-600 or so. Nothing to be concerned about.

No one is saying this. Just that when you use data to make a point the data should be accurately presented.

FWIW this is what the comment on reddit said.

It's not, though. That 900 figure, or the 1,200* one, is the TOTAL deaths for ALL migrant workers in Qatar, who make up 92% of Qatar's population, whether on or off the job.

It's basically all the deaths for the entire country, the total deaths out of a population of 1.4 - 2 million people.

Most migrant workers in Qatar aren't on World Cup projects.

Most deaths are natural and off-site.

*I looked into the "1,200" one. It's from the ICTU Special Report on Qatar and is the total number of deaths, on or off site, of whatever cause, for Indian and Nepalese workers (who number about 1 million and constitute a majority of all foreign workers in Qatar). Over a four year period.

You can read this here to verify what I am saying: www.ituc-csi.org/ituc-special-report-the-case

1200 workers have died since the World Cup was awarded in 2010, on available data from just two countries. (p15)

Whether the cause of death is labelled a work accidents, heart attack (brought on by the life threatening effects of heat stress) or diseases from squalid living conditions, the root cause is the same – working conditions. (p14)

In other words, it's not just workplace related deaths, it's all deaths, whether natural and off site or not.

From my calculations given the data supplied by the Guardian the actual work related death rate among Nepalese workers (9.7) is below the European Union (13) or the United States (13.3) while the off-site death rate is lower than the age group death rate in the countries these people come from.

The numbers being repeated on this are an absolute bare faced lie, there is absolutely no truth in them whatsoever.

If you read the original sources for these numbers carefully, primarily the Guardian newspaper, you can see this, anywhere they actually mention workplace injuries it is clearly low.

Everyone is spinning a headline figure for ALL deaths for the entire country to make the situation seem much, much worse than it actually is. You'll never see a death rate quoted in any of these articles, and there's a reason for that. It's completely normal.

putin has me convinced. this is all a load of bs. a clear case of an anti-russian witch hunt.

Man, Obama has really missed out. That's a solid 'get out of jail free' line, right there.

sincerely, The Nazis

FWIW this is what the comment on reddit said.

I'm willing to bet that the reporting laws for on-the-job deaths in Qatar are non existent or not enforced (especially for immigrants) compared to the US or European Union. That reporting bias likely accounts for the apparent lower death rate in Qatar cited in the redit quote. I'm a stickler for accurately representing statistics, but sometimes comparisons have to be made with work around data to make them roughly similar. That being said, any discrepancies in criteria have to prominently stated on the graph to allow the reader to make their own judgements.

the US and canada voting for the prince tomorrow. current brazil guy may have fled the country.

Back