• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TSA is empirically terrible

I can't agree with any of this.

To start, we should not be relying on a terrorist's ignorance about our protocols or inability to act normal while going through security in order to detect him. So the idea that it was "easy" for these agents to slip through because they knew the system or weren't legitimately nervous is wholly irrelevant.

Secondly, I have no idea why a terrorist would be more deterred by the countermeasures he's aware of as opposed to the ones he isn't. By definition, he can't be as prepared for the behind the scenes security.

And to further the point about the importance of behind the scenes stuff...while this story is shameful and sad, it's not as if there aren't other layers of security to help keep us safe. Still though, for as much money, time, energy, and annoyance on the part of travlers is expended at these TSA check points, they have to do better.

I'm for the behind the scenes stuff also. Having both is definitely more effective than just having one or the other. The process just doesn't annoy me like it apparently does most of you.

I'm for the behind the scenes stuff also. Having both is definitely more effective than just having one or the other. The process just doesn't annoy me like it apparently does most of you.

EagleDeac looks like a guy who hums "America the Beautiful" while taking his shoes off in security.

EagleDeac looks like a guy who hums "America the Beautiful" while taking his shoes off in security.

EagleDeac:

Sam_myspace.jpg

Lots of things to get bothered by starting with our athletic director - sorry that I don't find going through a security line at an airport to be one of them.........from sea to shining sea!

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/the-tsa-doesnt-work-and-maybe-it-doesnt-matter/394673/?utm_source=SFFB

I mean, this is pathetic. 95% success rate in sneaking mock bombs and weapons through checkpoints. A giant taxpayer ripoff and useless violation of my privacy rights every time I go to the airport, for a 5% success rate? Come on.

No doubt this will be used to justify even more spending and more violation of privacy.

Obamacare fucked up our entire health insurance market and covers approximately 5% of North Carolinians. I'm assuming we can now use "empirically terrible" to officially describe it, and no doubt this will be used to justify even more spending for less overall health care.

Here comes phan loving the govt again

Obamacare fucked up our entire health insurance market and covers approximately 5% of North Carolinians. I'm assuming we can now use "empirically terrible" to officially describe it, and no doubt this will be used to justify even more spending for less overall health care.

Well done!

Maybe somewhat related but coming back from Mexico yesterday I thought it was kind of ridiculous that there wasn't a dedicated line for only US Passport holders.

Ive been flying a lot for work lately and its a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario right now. The lines are so absurd at times that in Atlanta for awhile they recommended getting to the airport 3 hours early, then you get there sometimes and its no more than 15 minutes and you are sitting around for hours anyways. They are constantly changing their security procedures too which adds to what a joke all of it is. For awhile it was the strict everything out, in bins, we are going through the dumb body scanner. On Sunday it was keep everything on, laptops in bags, shoes on, go through the metal detector. Just worthless all of it. The biggest scam was the increase in TSA after 9/11, when after the change in procedure of not in air negotiating with hijackers and reinforced doors 9/11 was now prevented.

Got Global Approval status before a trip to Mexico a couple months back. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say the line we passed coming back in was over half a mile long. People were mad when we were just cruising by. Worth the price for just that one reentry.

We planned on getting to ATL 2 hours early and got a car service to pick us up. Driver showed up half an hour early and we were through security 2.5 hours before the flight.

Yesterday was terrible.

We thought about global entry but figured we would wait until the new wife gets a new passport with her new name.

I have a 7 AM flight at LAX Friday. That's a bad day to fly.

Wish I could have gotten a flight our of Long Beach. There are no direct flights from OC to Boston.

Back