• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TSA is empirically terrible

Ive been flying a lot for work lately and its a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario right now. The lines are so absurd at times that in Atlanta for awhile they recommended getting to the airport 3 hours early, then you get there sometimes and its no more than 15 minutes and you are sitting around for hours anyways. They are constantly changing their security procedures too which adds to what a joke all of it is. For awhile it was the strict everything out, in bins, we are going through the dumb body scanner. On Sunday it was keep everything on, laptops in bags, shoes on, go through the metal detector. Just worthless all of it. The biggest scam was the increase in TSA after 9/11, when after the change in procedure of not in air negotiating with hijackers and reinforced doors 9/11 was now prevented.

TSA didn't exist prior to 9/11. For all the brouhaha about needing a new Dept. of Homeland Security, all it did was create TSA and consolidate a few agencies who still guard their information and systems like they're proprietary trade secrets.

Also TSA is a joke, our security screening is not smart, it's theater designed to make people think that they are safe. The body scanners can be defeated, and may or may not increase your risk for cancer.

I have a 7 AM flight at LAX Friday. That's a bad day to fly.

Wish I could have gotten a flight our of Long Beach. There are no direct flights from OC to Boston.

Friday Mornings are not bad, the worst times to travel are Monday mornings and Thursday afternoons because airports get slammed with business travel. Although there is never a good time to fly out of LAX that airport SUCKS.

I have a 7 AM flight at LAX Friday. That's a bad day to fly.

Wish I could have gotten a flight our of Long Beach. There are no direct flights from OC to Boston.

The takeoffs at OC still rattle me a bit.

After years of travel I've realized the only good days to fly are Tuesday-Thursday. Every other day sucks for one reason or another, and the security line bullshit is pretty much universal at any large airport, especially for the early morning flights.

Sitting in San Diego airport right now. They have a stone brewery restaurant in here. Handy when you need to get drunk for the red-eye.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Will echo what others have said... pre-Check is the best $85 I've spent in my life. Takes me seconds to go through most security lines now.

Chicago aldermen submitted a proposal to privatize security at Chicago airports yesterday.

Will echo what others have said... pre-Check is the best $85 I've spent in my life. Takes me seconds to go through most security lines now.

2d this. plus if you travel with family, your pre-check covers all of them without them having to go through the rigamarole. Nice to be able to swoop the wife and 2 impatient kids right to the front of the line.

2d this. plus if you travel with family, your pre-check covers all of them without them having to go through the rigamarole. Nice to be able to swoop the wife and 2 impatient kids right to the front of the line.

Every time I've traveled with kids, we ended up being placed in the pre-check line anyway.

Well that settles it for me. I'm fortunate to primarily fly through easy security lines (TPA, RDU, DCA), but this would be worth it for the rest.

Pretty sure spouses are no longer covered without their own pre-check (per my parents and the TSA website).

I am traveling with my family; can they also use the TSA Pre✓® lane?

Family members ages 12 and under traveling with an eligible parent or guardian with a TSA Pre✓® indicator on their boarding pass can participate in expedited screening.
Family members 13 and older must go through standard security lanes or should apply for a DHS trusted traveler program.

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/faq

Just finished my GLOBAL ENTRY application. I'm pumped for that pre-Check especially.

Not true. Kids under 12 can go with a parent but anyone older than that needs their own subscription.

However, randomly your companion will sometimes get pre-check on a flight by flight basis.

Yeah - don't pay $85 for pre check when you can pay $100 for global entry which gets you pre check as well. Plus I helped build it.

Back