• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

The internal drive is some garbage laptop 5400rpm POS.

But the funny thing I saw is when people replaced the PS4 drive with an SSD, there wasn't a significant speed increase.

Fun fact: External hard drive is actually faster than the internal drive according to some tech folks I've spoken with.

Speed things up? Does it really help with anything besides initial load times?

It definitely is faster (for loading times, not really anything else Texas), iirc the Xbone's internal drive is limited to a SataII connection (so just 3GB/s), whereas a USB3 connection is capped at 5GB/s, so the drive can move data faster from an external than the internal one can. Lots of tests out there proving that to be the case, though it isn't a massively huge difference or anything.

The other upside to using an external drive is that if you want to go play at a friend's house (games they don't have downloaded/installed), you can just take the external over and plug it in to their machine.

Ok that's awesome, I didn't know this was an option. I just always assume USB is slower.

Why is the internal drive only SATAII?

These are the things that piss me off about the "next gen" stuff.

Ok that's awesome, I didn't know this was an option. I just always assume USB is slower.

Why is the internal drive only SATAII?

These are the things that piss me off about the "next gen" stuff.

Just ordered this sucker off Amazon with $4.99 one-day shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expan...35095822&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+external+5tb

Are hard drive prices coming down again?

5TB for $129.99 is pretty amazing.

HDDs have been pretty much at that price point for a little while now, not sure they'll go much lower tbh. SSDs should potentially even catch them in price/capacity by the end of next year (http://www.networkcomputing.com/storage/ssd-prices-in-a-freefall/a/d-id/1320958).

I'm not sure why the SataII limitation, I'd guess it's because when they started development SataIII maybe wasn't a standard yet? The PS4 also has that limitation I believe. In the end it's only really a bottleneck when loading assets, so I'm sure it wasn't a huge priority.

Is there really a difference in SATA II to III or USB 3 with spinning disk?

Platter HDDs are finally recovering from the Thailand floods about two years ago so I think they will continue to drop in price.

Has anyone on the xb1 tested out the 360 backward compatibility?

Has anyone on the xb1 tested out the 360 backward compatibility?

I've poked around with it a bit. Some of the games are still having issues with cloud saves, putting the XBOne in sleep mode will boot the 360 game to the title screen, and DLC is not currently working, though they have said that will be implemented by the full rollout in the fall. At this point, it isn't really a game changer, but it is a nice nod. Whether or not it is an actual benefit will depend on how quickly they can expand the games library and how thorough it is.

Out of curiosity I looked at the Witcher 3 mission list just to see how far into the game I am. I thought that I was making decent time but good god. I'm nowhere close to accomplishing anything. This game is massive.

Fallout 4: Pip Boy Edition no longer available for preorder on Amazon.com. Apparently preorders were very demanding. Bethesda saying they will be adding more this week though and reopening preorders, can our inside man confirm?

Out of curiosity I looked at the Witcher 3 mission list just to see how far into the game I am. I thought that I was making decent time but good god. I'm nowhere close to accomplishing anything. This game is massive.

yeah, i feel like i've played a ton and i'm only level 14; it seems like there are gameplay elements i havent' even run into yet.

i did get to hire a hooker last night. gotta give props to the art dept; some of the best boob modeling ever.

I've poked around with it a bit. Some of the games are still having issues with cloud saves, putting the XBOne in sleep mode will boot the 360 game to the title screen, and DLC is not currently working, though they have said that will be implemented by the full rollout in the fall. At this point, it isn't really a game changer, but it is a nice nod. Whether or not it is an actual benefit will depend on how quickly they can expand the games library and how thorough it is.

How does it work? Does it just see if the gamertag played the game in the past or does it download from the 360 disk?

How does it work? Does it just see if the gamertag played the game in the past or does it download from the 360 disk?

There are a couple different ways that it works. For Arcade or digital games, it scanned my Microsoft account and any of the compatable games that I had previously purchased were added to a "ready to download" tab on the Games and Apps page. I just approved the download and it went from there. For on disc games, once you put the disk in the drive, it then seems to download a digital copy of the game from the XBOX servers, rather than copy the game from the disc. You still need the disc in the drive after it downloads, like you would a physical XBOne game, but it reads from the hard drive only.

There are a couple different ways that it works. For Arcade or digital games, it scanned my Microsoft account and any of the compatable games that I had previously purchased were added to a "ready to download" tab on the Games and Apps page. I just approved the download and it went from there. For on disc games, once you put the disk in the drive, it then seems to download a digital copy of the game from the XBOX servers, rather than copy the game from the disc. You still need the disc in the drive after it downloads, like you would a physical XBOne game, but it reads from the hard drive only.

Ah got ya... I was thinking they could really screw the re-sale market and wasn't sure that the xBONE could read the disks. This makes more sense and cents

The ending to the sex scene (when you're around level 14/15) is pretty fucking funny. (Witcher 3)

Back