• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

Yup, I've got the 4690k + a 970 + 16GB of RAM. I can play on ultra at 1440p but if I want Nvidia Hair on I have to limit the frames to 30 to keep it looking smooth at all, otherwise it jumps around a lot (I'd rather have it capped at 30 than going back and forth between 35-60 a lot).

Honestly I don't know if Hairworks is on or not. I'll probably play some tonight so I'll look at that and see how it impacts FPS.

Hairworks looks pretty good on the beasts. But it just really impacts framerate. Not worth it unless you have a beastly rig. Even with an NVIDIA card, it's problematic. Disappointing actually. Hopefully they can improve it because the effect is great.

Even with a beastly rig, Hairworks causes a 12-20 fps drop even with just Geralt on the screen. Damn.

Last edited:
My general strategy for fights is to sloooow down and work more methodically. With most other 3rd person open world games, you can get in and out of a fight in less than a minute. With this one, I die and die and die if I try to move too quickly. Holding down the guard, parrying a bit, and taking my time to work a large group (or the griffon, just be patient and wait for the open shots) seems to be much more productive in the early phases.

I also started hypnotizing human enemies with Axii and then decapitating them with the strong attack. Seemed to work well. It takes an extra second to cast, so you need a little distance from the opponent.

Some other tricks:
using the d-pad left and right to change signs in combat
using axii on Roach to calm him down when horseback fighting
holding attack to slow time on Roach
selling your crap to the appropriate vendor for a better value

I balk slightly at WoW, but it is an objectively legit choice. Would have been curious to see what the rest of the 15 finalists were.

My general strategy for fights is to sloooow down and work more methodically. With most other 3rd person open world games, you can get in and out of a fight in less than a minute. With this one, I die and die and die if I try to move too quickly. Holding down the guard, parrying a bit, and taking my time to work a large group (or the griffon, just be patient and wait for the open shots) seems to be much more productive in the early phases.

I also started hypnotizing human enemies with Axii and then decapitating them with the strong attack. Seemed to work well. It takes an extra second to cast, so you need a little distance from the opponent.

Some other tricks:
using the d-pad left and right to change signs in combat
using axii on Roach to calm him down when horseback fighting
holding attack to slow time on Roach
selling your crap to the appropriate vendor for a better value

did not know this was possible. looking forward to trying this. riding down some deserter from horseback is awesome in concept but in practice I haven't been able to make it work well.

Can't lie, there have been some very funny bugs in The Witcher.

I have an i5 4670k, Nvidia Geforce 980, 8gb ram, and it's not completely ultra. Are you talking about with Hairworks on or off? I have everything ultra at 1080p except for foliage distance at high and one other minor one. With Hairworks on, it will drop below 60 fps. With it off, I'm at a constant 60fps.

so i'm rocking Witcher with Hairworks on and everything maxed. I am not noticing any kind of stutter or framerate issue. I did not bother to turn on a framerate monitor or anything but it looks great. don't know what my FPS is at and don't much care!

dude, the "don't lock while in group combat" is such a money suggestion.

Faced off against those spider fuckers. They wished I noped out this time. Killed their ugly asses. I have to say, the one with the big ass tail is giving me a hard time. That son of a bitch is fucking me up with his massive range.

enjoying wandering more now but damn it's hard as fuck at a low level. i found another griffen and it fucking killed my lvl 6 dude in 2 hits

Back