• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

Picked up Disco Elysium on this most recent Steam sale. I've got to wrap up Demon's Souls first, but I'm really looking forward to it. From what I've read, it sounds like it will essentially take the place of a book with the amount of reading involved.

It looks like BOTW2 will come out Christmas 2022. Maybe. Seems like they have a lot of work to do on it.

It looks like BOTW2 will come out Christmas 2022. Maybe. Seems like they have a lot of work to do on it. The new dynamics looked really good. The longer it takes to come out, the more time I’ll be able to prepare for the absolute time suck it will be.

Anyone else excited about Diablo 2: Remastered? It’s in Beta now with full opening on September 23rd.

Was "Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity" any good? I had just beaten BOTW when it came out, so never picked it up bc I wanted a bit of a break.

Last edited:
Finally beat Demon's Souls. It was a grind but I loved it. The gameplay is a lot of fun. My issues come with the complete lack of direction. I finished the game with about a million items that I have no idea what they do, and some that there is just no way you would know what they do if you didn't look them up. So while I refused to look up how to beat levels, I found myself constantly having to read basics about the mechanics of the game as well as what items did. The stakes are so high (if you die, your corpse keeps all of your souls/currency and the level completely resets. If you die again, whatever souls/currency on that first corpse are lost forever), you really don't want to be wasting items/currency/time. There is also next to no story, so if that's what you're looking for you've come to the wrong place. But back to the positives: There is a TON of replay value. Playing a melee character would be a RADICALLY different experience than playing a caster. As I mentioned, there is really no direction for anything. So even if you played it through again using the same character, you would be sure to find all sorts of new things. There are also several choices you have to make that can only be made once for that character then never again, so there is inherent replay value even outside of the creative aspects.

If I didn't have so many other games I wanted to play, I would absolutely start another character. I've also heard that some of the newer games in this ruthless genre provide more description, guidance and story while maintaining very challenging gameplay. So with that in mind, I'm going to take a breather from the super sweaty RPG, and move onto Resident Evil Village and Disco Elysium.

Last edited:
Finally beat Demon's Souls. It was a grind but I loved it. The gameplay is a lot of fun. My issues come with the complete lack of direction. I finished the game with about a million items that I have no idea what they do, and some that there is just no way you would know what they do if you didn't look them up. So while I refused to look up how to beat levels, I found myself constantly having to read basics about the mechanics of the game as well as what items did. The stakes are so high (if you die, your corpse keeps all of your souls/currency and the level completely resets. If you die again, whatever souls/currency on that first corpse are lost forever), you really don't want to be wasting items/currency/time. There is also next to no story, so if that's what you're looking for you've come to the wrong place. But back to the positives: There is a TON of replay value. Playing a melee character would be a RADICALLY different experience than playing a caster. As I mentioned, there is really no direction for anything. So even if you played it through again using the same character, you would be sure to find all sorts of new things. There are also several choices you have to make that can only be made once for that character then never again, so there is inherent replay value even outside of the creative aspects.

There's a ton of story, but it's hidden in easter eggs and item description. Just telling you wouldn't be very Souls-like.

To learn more about the lore, I highly suggest this guy's channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/VaatiVidya

If I didn't have so many other games I wanted to play, I would absolutely start another character. I've also heard that some of the newer games in this ruthless genre provide more description, guidance and story while maintaining very challenging gameplay. So with that in mind, I'm going to take a breather from the super sweaty RPG, and move onto Resident Evil Village and Disco Elysium.

git gud

but yeah, a very Old School style videogame with a few modern tweaks. some people revel in the masochism of these games, including the opacity of mechanics and items/secrets. it seems like most games are thematically designed for adults (30+) but mechanically for 12-16 yr olds or 20 yr olds who's primary hobby is videogames

There's a ton of story, but it's hidden in easter eggs and item description. Just telling you wouldn't be very Souls-like.

To learn more about the lore, I highly suggest this guy's channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/VaatiVidya

So yeah. Wow. Maybe I was too busy sweating through my first experience with this type of game, but I picked up on about 1/10 of that at best. It's tough when the game isn't really linear, and you can miss items or characters that help provide context. I really wish I had watched some of these videos before I started playing, which would have gone along with the theme of having to look up the basics of what a traditional video game provides. Thanks for posting that link though. At least I can appreciate it more in retrospect, if not real time.

Welcome to souls games. One thing i love is the coop aspect of souls games. Giving and getting assistance is a ton of fun. I played demon's soul when it was originally out so I don't recall if it had the coop aspect.

So yeah. Wow. Maybe I was too busy sweating through my first experience with this type of game, but I picked up on about 1/10 of that at best. It's tough when the game isn't really linear, and you can miss items or characters that help provide context. I really wish I had watched some of these videos before I started playing, which would have gone along with the theme of having to look up the basics of what a traditional video game provides. Thanks for posting that link though. At least I can appreciate it more in retrospect, if not real time.

Going back and seeing things like the identity of Phalanx by the shape of the soul that leaves is just amazing. You don't notice on your first playthrough. But FROM thinks of everything.

Welcome to souls games. One thing i love is the coop aspect of souls games. Giving and getting assistance is a ton of fun. I played demon's soul when it was originally out so I don't recall if it had the coop aspect.

I just recall getting constantly destroyed by red phantoms. If there was coop, it probably wasn't very good. I played most of it with my network cable pulled like a loser back then.

Just picked mine up from Best Buy today, actually, after getting in on one last week. I have to say there was just a touch of disappointment that the UI is exactly the same as the XBOne. It really doesn't feel like a new console yet, but I also haven't played anything. I've just been setting it up and downloading stuff so far.

Nintendo announced the new Nintendo Switch OLED. It seems unnecessary and falls well short of the rumored Switch Pro.
https://slate.com/culture/2021/07/nintendo-switch-pro-oled-model-4k.html

Until today, that is. Nintendo dropped a two-minute commercial for what it’s calling the Nintendo Switch OLED, referring to its primary selling point: a brighter, more vibrant, slightly larger screen. Starting October 8, buyers who pony up $349.99 will receive a slightly heavier Switch that also boasts better sound than the currently available model. The console dock—which allows the device to connect to a television—comes with a built-in ethernet cable. And it will offer twice as much on-board internal storage as previous editions of the Switch, at 64 GB by default.

This all sounds well and good, if irrelevant to most of us that already own a functioning Nintendo Switch. These improvements are not particularly exciting to anyone but the most completist of Nintendo hardware lovers given that, as Nintendo confirmed to The Verge, the system itself has no other spec changes. A Switch is a Switch is a Switch—even when it’s a slightly bigger, slightly brighter one.

My friends and I have been dying for a co-op game that isn't a sweaty first person shooter. We picked up Dungeons and Dragons: Dark Alliance, but it's kind of a mess. I don't think it's QUITE as bad as the joke it has become on Reddit, but it absolutely feels like you're playing a Beta, and an unfinished one at that. Tons of bugs, the combat mechanics are clunky, the matchmaking is obscure, and there are lots of problems with the general interface. Like I said, we were pretty desperate for a co-op game, but it doesn't look like this one is going to take. I'd buy it for $20, but $60 for the game in its current state is unjustifiable.

So we've set our sights on Tribes of Midgard. The more I read about it, the more excited I am for this. 8 classes and up to 10 player co-op.

Back