• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

what level are you at?

It took forever to get to level 6 or so. At that point i was strong enough/smart enough to start tackling real quests. Once you start doing quests you gain XP more quickly. Grinding by killing monsters/guys is a bad strategy

I think I'm going to pick up Witcher on my way home from work. What is a good early strategy? I haven't played a game like this before (other than Red Dead Redemption for a bit if that is at all similar).

what level are you at?

It took forever to get to level 6 or so. At that point i was strong enough/smart enough to start tackling real quests. Once you start doing quests you gain XP more quickly. Grinding by killing monsters/guys is a bad strategy

Gotcha, I just made level two and it seemed take forever. I think it is likely due to the fact that I was doing too much random monster killing.

I just made level 5. I should have done more quests in White Orchard in the prelude. Once I got to Velen the quests I find have recommended levels way too high for me to tackle. So I'm following the story quests for now and hoping that will boost me some.

I think I'm going to pick up Witcher on my way home from work. What is a good early strategy? I haven't played a game like this before (other than Red Dead Redemption for a bit if that is at all similar).

http://mashable.com/2015/05/19/witcher-3-wild-hunt-getting-started-guide/

http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-1705588522

I'd also say that once you unlock the horse races do them asap. You'll get saddle bags which help so much as well as your horse will get a new saddle which increases its stamina. I'm still really early in the game but basically do all the side quests and check out all the question marks in White Orchard and do all the side quests early that you can. Spend a bit of time getting use to the combat and look at upgrading fighting as well as your shield and whatever other magic you like. Go on the hunt for some places of power (you'll know what I'm talking about when you play the game). Keep your shit repaired (so be sure to have a couple repair kits on hand at all times).

Helpful tip that worked really well for me wen fighting the griffin: do all your dodging with the roll. When the Griffin is in the air and making his swoops towards you, roll under them as he approaches you and pop out the other side. Do this for 2-3 times and he will land. Once he lands, you want to stay close. If you create too much space, he will use this really quick body charge and slam you down to half health in one shot. If you stay close, he can't use this move. I staying right in his grill the whole time and rolled behind him, landed 2-3 blows, then rolled behind him again, always refreshing my quin shield or whatever it's called for when I did get hit. Made the fight much more manageable.

Helpful tip that worked really well for me wen fighting the griffin: do all your dodging with the roll. When the Griffin is in the air and making his swoops towards you, roll under them as he approaches you and pop out the other side. Do this for 2-3 times and he will land. Once he lands, you want to stay close. If you create too much space, he will use this really quick body charge and slam you down to half health in one shot. If you stay close, he can't use this move. I staying right in his grill the whole time and rolled behind him, landed 2-3 blows, then rolled behind him again, always refreshing my quin shield or whatever it's called for when I did get hit. Made the fight much more manageable.

That griffin fucked me up the first few times i did it.

I'd also say that once you unlock the horse races do them asap. You'll get saddle bags which help so much as well as your horse will get a new saddle which increases its stamina. I'm still really early in the game but basically do all the side quests and check out all the question marks in White Orchard and do all the side quests early that you can. Spend a bit of time getting use to the combat and look at upgrading fighting as well as your shield and whatever other magic you like. Go on the hunt for some places of power (you'll know what I'm talking about when you play the game). Keep your shit repaired (so be sure to have a couple repair kits on hand at all times).

Thanks for the links. Honestly, they talked me out of buying the game. No chance I have the patience to get through a game that large.

Thanks for the links. Honestly, they talked me out of buying the game. No chance I have the patience to get through a game that large.

I flip flopped for the same reason, but decided just to go with it and I will get as far as a I get and likely get more value out of it than most other games I own.

It took me about 2 years to finally push through and finish the main story of Skyrim, and I never came close to finishing up all the side quests and never will. I'm hoping I can do better on Witcher.

Clutch advice here.

But, fuck, I think I sold some of my Witcher gear already. No idea it was that important. I'm really hoping I can remember which vendor it was.

don't you only start out w/ the witcher sword? i think they're referring to the stuff you find in the Gear Collection Quests

I think you start off with a witcher sword and chest armor. I upgraded the chest armor at the armorsmith in White Orchard, but I may have subsequently sold it.

I just found 2 relic pieces of armor during one of the story quests (the lvl6 quest with the sorceress Keira Metz), and it's quickly becoming apparent that crafting normal gear is pretty much useless. You can find plenty of good stuff by finding monster nests/guarded treasures and doing story quests.

Clutch advice here.

But, fuck, I think I sold some of my Witcher gear already. No idea it was that important. I'm really hoping I can remember which vendor it was.

don't you only start out w/ the witcher sword? i think they're referring to the stuff you find in the Gear Collection Quests

I think you start off with a witcher sword and chest armor. I upgraded the chest armor at the armorsmith in White Orchard, but I may have subsequently sold it.

I just found 2 relic pieces of armor during one of the story quests (the lvl6 quest with the sorceress Keira Metz), and it's quickly becoming apparent that crafting normal gear is pretty much useless. You can find plenty of good stuff by finding monster nests/guarded treasures and doing story quests.

(Note: Don’t sweat the stuff you start out with. You might as well hang on to the armor, but you’ll craft better Witcher swords once you do the first “Griffon” treasure hunt.)

That was at the end of that section.

I saw that too, and I completed the White Orchard griffin contract, but I don't remember seeing any opportunity to craft a witcher sword yet. I need to go check out a blacksmith.

The "No Man's Sky" presentation really caught my attention. That looks amazing.

Rotfiend's are pissing me the fuck off.

Back