• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

From someone outside the industry or hobby I was reading about that, what makes these graphics cards so important/valuable?

Have just been waiting awhile for the next gen graphics cards to arrive, and these are one of the biggest performance jumps we've seen in awhile too from one gen to the next (and at a very attractive price for what you get).

is cryptomining still significantly driving consumer GPU sales? I'm not sure where the mining profit/cost breakeven is but I remember in past gens most miners targeted xx70s instead of 80s

dunno. not really into mining - just a leftover fragment in my head

is cryptomining still significantly driving consumer GPU sales? I'm not sure where the mining profit/cost breakeven is but I remember in past gens most miners targeted xx70s instead of 80s

No, there are specialized cards for it which helped push the economics of using consumer GPU's for crypto through the floor. The Silicon Valley episode was actually pretty accurate back in the craze - I had some friends monitoring coin prices and starting/stopping their mining rigs on an hourly basis. I also had a friend convince a few of his neighbors who had pools to let him bury a few dozen GPU servers and attach them to the water lines of the pool circulators for free cooling because he did the math and it doubled his worthwhile mining time or something... Lasted like 2 months before it was all pointless.

No, there are specialized cards for it which helped push the economics of using consumer GPU's for crypto through the floor. The Silicon Valley episode was actually pretty accurate back in the craze - I had some friends monitoring coin prices and starting/stopping their mining rigs on an hourly basis. I also had a friend convince a few of his neighbors who had pools to let him bury a few dozen GPU servers and attach them to the water lines of the pool circulators for free cooling because he did the math and it doubled his worthwhile mining time or something... Lasted like 2 months before it was all pointless.

Yeah that's what I would have guessed would be the killer, the more specialized cards. That is hilarious re: the pool circulators (but also pretty genius).

Video Game Thread - Final Fantasy XVI Announced - No Other News

Finished Last of Us II last night. Really good drama and incredible cinematography (is that the term in gaming?) to amplify the intensity of each scene. I wasn't crazy about how the plot rounded out for reasons I'll throw in the spoiler section, but it wasn't a deal breaker. All in all, I would like to have seen a few more new elements. Playing both one and two back to back would have been very repetitive, but since there was the 7 year layover between, I was able to enjoy them both independently. I would definitely suggest at least watching a thorough recap of the first one if you haven't played it since it came out.

Probably my biggest gripe is that I never really felt bad for Abby until Ellie went over the top at the end. In the scene where Abby fought Ellie and nearly killed her in the theater, I first just let Ellie kill me and hoped that would be the end of Abby and get me back to playing Ellie. Or even just end the game there. I found Abby to be pretty irredeemable, despite the writers' best efforts.

With that said, I liked the whole "two sides of the same coin" theme they sewed throughout, but Ellie's actions at the end just weren't entirely believable to me. She goes hunting to kill Abby, finds people that would kill her in a horrible and gruesome way, but it's not enough for her? Idk. It just seemed a little lazy to me. The biting off of the fingers was all that really came of that final interaction for me, which led to the amazing scene in the epilogue where she can no longer play the guitar.

I guess they are set up for at least 1 more which I will undoubtedly play if for nothing more than the story.

Next up, BotW, finally!

Last edited:
Finished Last of Us II last night. Really good drama and incredible cinematography (is that the term in gaming?) to amplify the intensity of each scene. I wasn't crazy about how the plot rounded out for reasons I'll throw in the spoiler section, but it wasn't a deal breaker. All in all, I would like to have seen a few more new elements. Playing both one and two back to back would have been very repetitive, but since there was the 7 year layover between, I was able to enjoy them both independently. I would definitely suggest at least watching a thorough recap of the first one if you haven't played it since it came out.

Probably my biggest gripe is that I never really felt bad for Abby until Ellie went over the top at the end. In the scene where Abby fought Ellie and nearly killed her in the theater, I first just let Ellie kill me and hoped that would be the end of Abby and get me back to playing Ellie. Or even just end the game there. I found Abby to be pretty irredeemable, despite the writers' best efforts.

With that said, I liked the whole "two sides of the same coin" theme they sewed throughout, but Ellie's actions at the end just weren't entirely believable to me. She goes hunting to kill Abby, finds people that would kill her in a horrible and gruesome way, but it's not enough for her? Idk. It just seemed a little lazy to me. The biting off of the fingers was all that really came of that final interaction for me, which led to the amazing scene in the epilogue where she can no longer play the guitar.

I guess they are set up for at least 1 more which I will undoubtedly play if for nothing more than the story.

Next up, BotW, finally!

Hopefully this spoiler thing works for me. I had the opposite sympathies -- I completely understood Abby's motivations and felt worse for her than for Ellie, and had a hard time buying Ellie leaving what's her name and the baby after she had found out what Joel did and after Abby spared her.

Also, finally finished RDR2. Mixed feelings -- it's an epic and beautiful game, and I completely appreciate the scope and the work that went into it, but it just became a repetitive slog at the end. I just wanted to play only the story missions and just get it over with.

Better exclusives on PS5 (pending Bethesda decisions), Game Pass on Xbox. Pick which one is more important to you.

Better exclusives on PS5 (pending Bethesda decisions), Game Pass on Xbox. Pick which one is more important to you.

Probably neither if I'm being honest, as weird as that sounds. I only play FIFA every year and the most recent Fallout/TES when they come out. Can't remember the last game I made if through that wasn't one of those titles, outside of Switch games. I would probably pickup Halo for Xbox just to do it.

Easy - Keep the XBox and I'll buy the PS5 off you.

If you have a PC with decent capabilities, XBox is way less important as it once was.

If I haven't prerdered the PS5 yet, when can I reasonably expect to pick one up? Sometime in early 2021?

Since doing the $1 for 3 years of GamePass trick I've definitely gotten used to the Netflix-style gaming experience. Sure there are titles that aren't available, but being able to just try out such a wide variety of games has been great from a casual gaming perspective. Would be very difficult to go back to normal game buying.

Also the size and design of the PS5 is a borderline dealbreaker. If you don't have a traditional media cabinet it's just going to dominate everything else. Not sure the appearance will hold up in a year, but who knows.

Probably neither if I'm being honest, as weird as that sounds. I only play FIFA every year and the most recent Fallout/TES when they come out. Can't remember the last game I made if through that wasn't one of those titles, outside of Switch games. I would probably pickup Halo for Xbox just to do it.

All future Bethesda games should be Day 1 additions to Game Pass, but if those are the only games you play aside from FIFA, it might not be worth it for you to have Game Pass just for those.

Since doing the $1 for 3 years of GamePass trick I've definitely gotten used to the Netflix-style gaming experience. Sure there are titles that aren't available, but being able to just try out such a wide variety of games has been great from a casual gaming perspective. Would be very difficult to go back to normal game buying.

Also the size and design of the PS5 is a borderline dealbreaker. If you don't have a traditional media cabinet it's just going to dominate everything else. Not sure the appearance will hold up in a year, but who knows.

I have an XBOX One and PS4 now, and I buy exclusives on the PS4 (cheap and well after release) and have game pass for the Xbox. The only game I have bought for XBOX in the past year is Star Wars Squadrons. Game Pass really is a great way to try things out, and I've found several really good game I wouldn't have played otherwise. I will probably repeat the same for XBOX and PS5 this time, once enough games come out for PS5 that I need.

Back