• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

1d2697844a898198c10df72f7f2d0cc8.gif

Been playing a lot of games on BGA with doofus and HTTD during the quarantine. It’s a ton of fun even if the interface isn’t elite at times - can still play for free or as a premium member for like 4 bucks a month.

I think I've started about 40 Civ games, played a combined 200 hours or so and finished maybe 1. Good times.

Last edited:
I think I've started about 40 Civ games, played a combined 200 hours or so hours and finished maybe 1. Good times.

Same for me.

“How the hell are they in the Information Age at 1600 AD and I’m still in the renaissance?”

I usually wind up casting intimidating shout and then they counter with breath from the abyss and there's nothing I can do about it

Civ is always most fun for me through the Exploration age/phase. Gotta get that caravel !

Civ is great, and I've played them since 3... I even took the day off for 6's release!

But I've also gotten way into Paradox games over the past couple of years, and I'm not sure I can go back to Civ now. It feels a little like Baby's First 4x Game. The nostalgia's still there, and I enjoy it, but between the dogshit AI in 6 and the streamlining of features, I dunno. It seems more like a board game now than anything else.

I'd be interested to hear if any of the Civ fans here have opinions on Stellaris or CK2 or EU4.

man HoI4 is the one i've never tried/gotten into, though i have a friend who swears by it

i've streamed a lot of CK2, that game is my fucking JAM

and i'd put Stellaris on the short list of best games of the last decade

Civ is great, and I've played them since 3... I even took the day off for 6's release!

But I've also gotten way into Paradox games over the past couple of years, and I'm not sure I can go back to Civ now. It feels a little like Baby's First 4x Game. The nostalgia's still there, and I enjoy it, but between the dogshit AI in 6 and the streamlining of features, I dunno. It seems more like a board game now than anything else.

I'd be interested to hear if any of the Civ fans here have opinions on Stellaris or CK2 or EU4.

I tried to get into CK2, but it was just so dense I couldn't do it. CK3 is supposed to be a bit easier to roll in to, so I'm looking forward to that. I did put some time into Stellaris when it first came out and enjoyed it quite a bit, but haven't kept up with the updates, which i understand have mixed reactions and have substantially changed the nature of the game.

A new one that is coming out soon is Old World, which is from one of the Civ IV designers. Looks like it is mainly set in the ancient era, but has some Crusader Kings to it as well.

I tried to get into CK2, but it was just so dense I couldn't do it. CK3 is supposed to be a bit easier to roll in to, so I'm looking forward to that.

Yeah, CK2 is real dense when you start out. The difficulty curve is no joke, but things really come together once you get your bearings. CK3 looks more streamlined, yeah. Not sure yet if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but early hands-on previews have been positive.

I did put some time into Stellaris when it first came out and enjoyed it quite a bit, but haven't kept up with the updates, which i understand have mixed reactions and have substantially changed the nature of the game.

Stellaris is interesting. It uses the same DLC structure that Paradox does with their other games (i.e., release significant expansions every 6 months or so, resulting in 10+ expansions for a game when all is said and done), but Stellaris' expansions have been mostly great, and a lot of the features have been added in with the free game patches, too. You're right that the gameplay has changed substantially since 1.0, though.

I think a lot of the "mixed" reactions were just people initially resisting change (I remember this specifically when Stellaris went to its 2.0 patch), but Steam reviews for most of the expansions are positive these days. The two notable exceptions seem to be Apocalypse (which is a tick overpriced, but still pretty cool IMO) and MegaCorp (which I still haven't tried)... Utopia and Leviathans were both legit great, and the smaller story packs (Synthetic Dawn, Ancient Relics) are both really cool.

I'd definitely encourage you to give it another go

Yeah, CK2 is real dense when you start out. The difficulty curve is no joke, but things really come together once you get your bearings. CK3 looks more streamlined, yeah. Not sure yet if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but early hands-on previews have been positive.

Stellaris is interesting. It uses the same DLC structure that Paradox does with their other games (i.e., release significant expansions every 6 months or so, resulting in 10+ expansions for a game when all is said and done), but Stellaris' expansions have been mostly great, and a lot of the features have been added in with the free game patches, too. You're right that the gameplay has changed substantially since 1.0, though.

I think a lot of the "mixed" reactions were just people initially resisting change (I remember this specifically when Stellaris went to its 2.0 patch), but Steam reviews for most of the expansions are positive these days. The two notable exceptions seem to be Apocalypse (which is a tick overpriced, but still pretty cool IMO) and MegaCorp (which I still haven't tried)... Utopia and Leviathans were both legit great, and the smaller story packs (Synthetic Dawn, Ancient Relics) are both really cool.

I'd definitely encourage you to give it another go

Good to know about the expansions. Definitely plan to get back into it at some point, but my limited PC time is with Civ VI right now. Still playing more of my Switch than anything else, just because it is so damn convenient. Plus they recently ported over Sunless Sea, which is a game I put dozens of hours into on Steam a few years ago.

i will say that civ is a series that shines in multiplayer in a way that paradox hasn't quite replicated yet IMO

I picked up AOE and AOE II definitive editions on Steam. Young me was so much better at RTS. I'm still swimming in nostalgia, though. It's great.

I snatched up The Outer Worlds on sale last night, along with the Borderlands 1/2/Pre-sequel remasters. All look like a lot of fun.

Lots of interesting games in the PS5 Future of Gaming show. The big reveal is that Spider-Man: Miles Morales will be available Holiday 2020. I wasn't planning on getting one at launch, but now I will.

Back