• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

Yeah. Any tablet will give you access to plenty of age appropriate games of different genres.

We have ipads, so not looking for a tablet. Had in mind a console. Would it be dumb to get a Wii or Wii Mini at this point? Don't really want to plunk down $300 for a Wii U.

For context, the last video game I played was Twisted Metal ~15 years ago. So I'm admittedly clueless on this topic.

Honestly, a 3DS is gonna be a way better investment for a kid than a Wii (or other home console). I grew up with an SNES and a GBC, and then a N64 and GBA, and damned if the GBC/GBA didn't get more of my attention. Looking back, I was an idiot, and the SNES is the best console EVAR, but still, kid me was all about dem pokemon.

The 3DS has the best game library of any current system, home or portable (and it's not really close), and "New" XL that came out back in February pushed the price point for the regular XLs down a bit. You should be able to get one for around $150.

Honestly, what worked best for my boys that age was starting them off on a Gameboy/DS/3DS. Portable, games skew to a pretty young age, etc. At that age they played that WAY more than they ever played a Wii/Xbox/PS. If you want to get an actual console, Wii U tends to have stuff that skews younger than PS4 or Xbone, but any one of them has stuff you could find for them to play.

This. When I was young I grew up on gameboy before moving towards a n64 then the rest is history. A DS would be perfect or the wii U would be another viable option. The PS4 and Xbone are more geared towards an older age range.

Woof. Arkham Knight PC version is fucked. I wish I would have bought my graphics card earlier and gotten The Witcher code instead.

wo, they really fucked up didn't they:

Dear Batman: Arkham Knight PC owners,

We want to apologize to those of you who are experiencing performance issues with Batman: Arkham Knight on PC. We take these issues very seriously and have therefore decided to suspend future game sales of the PC version while we work to address these issues to satisfy our quality standards. We greatly value our customers and know that while there are a significant amount of players who are enjoying the game on PC, we want to do whatever we can to make the experience better for PC players overall.

Thank you to those players who have already given valuable feedback. We are continuously monitoring all threads posted in the Official Batman: Arkham Knight Community and Steam forums, as well as any issues logged with our Customer Support (support.wbgames.com). If you purchased your copy of the game and are not satisfied with your experience, then we ask for your patience while these issues are resolved. If desired, you can request a refund at help.steampowered.com (Steam refund policies can be found here: http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds) or the retail location where you purchased the game.

The Batman: Arkham fans have continually supported the franchise to its current height of success, and we want to thank you for your patience as we work to deliver an updated version of Batman: Arkham Knight on PC so you can all enjoy the final chapter of the Batman: Arkham series as it was meant to be played.

Wow. Arkham Knight was supposed to come out last Christmas I think. How is it still having problems at release?

I've played through the first hour or so of the campaign and it's amazing. The batmobile was a little tricky at first but the gameplay and overall experience is incredible. Sucks for the PC crowd, though.

Honestly, a 3DS is gonna be a way better investment for a kid than a Wii (or other home console). I grew up with an SNES and a GBC, and then a N64 and GBA, and damned if the GBC/GBA didn't get more of my attention. Looking back, I was an idiot, and the SNES is the best console EVAR, but still, kid me was all about dem pokemon.

The 3DS has the best game library of any current system, home or portable (and it's not really close), and "New" XL that came out back in February pushed the price point for the regular XLs down a bit. You should be able to get one for around $150.

Agreed...my 5 year old nephew got a 3DS XL for christmas and plays that thing non-stop. It's cool seeing kids get introduced to characters of my childhood like Mario, Luigi, Sonic, etc 30 years after they debuted.

3DS is definitely the way to go, portable, great game library, and don't have to worry about them occupying a TV to play it.

you grew up in the era of the console wars and you played your gameboy more than your actual consoles? i find that very strange

6zz8U1n.jpg

you grew up in the era of the console wars and you played your gameboy more than your actual consoles? i find that very strange

It's not like I didn't play the actual consoles, but yeah. Maybe I'm misremembering? SNES was my first system-- my uncle got it for me and my sister in '95, and we got Game Boy Colors from my grandparents when Pokémon Red/Blue came out a year and a half later. I was probably too young at that point to really appreciate some of the best SNES games that I love now, but I know that aside from the DKC series, Super Mario World, and Super Mario Kart, there wasn't really a SNES game I played more than, say, Blue or Link's Awakening or Mario Golf.

hm, maybe. How old are you? 4 or 5 years might make a big difference. I grew up with an NES and my parents chose the Genesis over the SNES for me when the time came. I had only the original game boy and it never took for me.

Wow. Arkham Knight was supposed to come out last Christmas I think. How is it still having problems at release?

Rumor is that the company handling the PC port was only given 2 months to work on it, which seems silly, but who knows.

hm, maybe. How old are you? 4 or 5 years might make a big difference. I grew up with an NES and my parents chose the Genesis over the SNES for me when the time came. I had only the original game boy and it never took for me.

I was 4 when we got the SNES, probably 6 for the GBC

(oh you were asking for my current age, whoops, I'm 25, whoops)

We got my kid an iPad mini for Christmas. He loves it and it's cool that it can play music and access the internet and other stuff a 3DS can't do. However one of the big downsides is game selection, he has maybe 12 gaming apps on that thing and the memory is already filled. I had to delete a couple games last time he wanted a new one. Wish we'd gotten the larger memory version, the coolest iPad games use up quite a bit of memory. Now, my son is 10, for a 5 year old I'd definitely go with a 3DS, no question.

Rumor is that the company handling the PC port was only given 2 months to work on it, which seems silly, but who knows.

There's no way. Wow.

It's killing me that I'm not playing this. Oh well. I'll make up for it when my boys are older.

We got my kid an iPad mini for Christmas. He loves it and it's cool that it can play music and access the internet and other stuff a 3DS can't do. However one of the big downsides is game selection, he has maybe 12 gaming apps on that thing and the memory is already filled. I had to delete a couple games last time he wanted a new one. Wish we'd gotten the larger memory version, the coolest iPad games use up quite a bit of memory. Now, my son is 10, for a 5 year old I'd definitely go with a 3DS, no question.

For what it's worth, a 3DS can access the internet. It's clunky as hell, but it has a serviceable internet browser.

Back