• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

I haven't gotten a chance to play more than about 7 hours, but God of War is awesome. My only minor complaint would be that there are secrets freaking everywhere. You can't take a step without seeing some "hidden" chest or pathway, and I can't bring myself to walk past any of them. The result is it bogs the game down a little.

It's far more open world than previous installments, so you could easily wander around for hours and into places you're not high enough level to go. I was concerned not having the chains of olympus would be a non-starter, but the Leviathan Ax is pretty badass. I haven't gotten far enough to get other weapons yet. The kid was also a concern, but so far he has been nothing but helpful. Aka, he isn't a pain in the ass like children usually are in games, going off, getting captured and what not.

Last edited:
It's truly a testament to how amazing BOTW was/is that we're still talking about it in this thread.

Shoutout, Hyrule Warriors comes out May 18. Game isn't going to be on the scale of BOTW, but it's going to be awesome button mashing.

Speaking of button mashing, how many of you have had issues with your joy-cons wearing out? We've gone through 3 pads; first two had a bumper go, and the third had the stick go. Son probably plays 5 hours a week, I'm up and down with nada then a binge. Probably putting a total of ~75-100 hours on a joy-con before it dies. Still seems low.

The boy dropped it off the stairs on to the hardwood floor right on the joycon and it's still working. Slides out very easily now though.

I got the DLC for my son and he played one level and hasn't played BOTW since. I haven't played in a few weeks partly because of NBA and trying to get some work done at night and mostly because hell, my 5 year old beat it.

I got the DLC for my son and he played one level and hasn't played BOTW since. I haven't played in a few weeks partly because of NBA and trying to get some work done at night and mostly because hell, my 5 year old beat it.

Your five year old would likely struggle with master mode. Give that a spin.

Nintendo Switch Online looks pretty sweet and a good deal.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/08/nintendo-switch-online-will-introduce-cloud-saves

Cloud saves plus

Nintendo Switch Online will cost $3.99 USD for a one month subscription, $7.99 USD for three months, $19.99 USD for a year, and $34.99 for a Family Membership, which allows up to eight Nintendo Account holders to use the service on different systems.
Your subscription will give you access to online play, the Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app, and 20 classic NES games at launch. Nintendo has announced 10 of these so far:

• Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Donkey Kong
  • Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Balloon Fight
  • Ice Climber
  • Dr. Mario
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
These NES games will take advantage of the online service. "Depending on the game, players can engage in online competitive or co-op multiplayer, or take turns controlling the action," Nintendo announced. "Friends can even watch each other play single-player games online, and “pass the controller” at any time. Every classic NES game will support voice chat via the Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app. It will also be possible to play these games offline."

Still no voice chat on the Switch. That kinda stinks.

It is still ridiculous that you have to run voice chat through a smartphone app, but $20 a year isn't bad for a virtual console subscription service, especially if they quickly fill out that catalog. It does need to be more than just original NES games, though, to be worth it.

Video Game Thread - Ph Son > Ph

Well I assume it allows you to play your saves from any Switch. That’s a big winner for dual Switch households. If you can play the NES games from the Switch mobile app, that would be huge.

Voice chat for what is essentially a handheld system seems unnecessary.

Well I assume it allows you to play your saves from any Switch. That’s a big winner for dual Switch households. If you can play the NES games from the Switch mobile app, that would be huge.

Voice chat for what is essentially a handheld system seems unnecessary.

Agree, agree, disagree.

The Switch is a console that can be mobile. The Vita had voice chat and it was purely mobile.

I bought Sniper Elite 4 this weekend and am about half way through. Playing on hard it's pretty fun if you like stealth/sniper shit. It's kinda janky sometimes and the cutscenes/VO/plot is pretty worthless but the game is pretty damned tense without using cheating AI.

I turned the kill-cam thing down to minimal b/c it gets ridiculous.

Very sad that Dark Souls was delayed on the Switch.

At least GoW is still great.

i'm getting old. this Battlefield trailer is basically impossible to follow, if the action is anything like the "FPS" view in the 2nd half there's no way i could play this game competently

damnit, I got really hopeful for a second when I saw you linking a bethesda tweet that we were getting a new ES announcement.

Back