• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

lol at Chris Evert saying that Serena has not played well at the Grand Slams this year.

Serena was the easiest bet in sports tonight. Do you really think that Venus is going to beat her sister when it means stopping her from achieving the first calendar year Grand Slam in 30 years? Would you do that to your sister?

is there some distinction that has them calling this the "calendar" slam? I thought all Grand Slams were default based on the calendar year?

i think its along the lines that someone could win wimbledon and US Open in say 2014 and then start 2015 off with the aussie and french. that would be a non-calendar year grand slam.

Which is relevant because Serena won the US Open last year.

Only if she managed to get hooked up with Serena's roid supplier.

It's only a rumor so take it for what's worth, but I've heard that we're recruiting Serena to play linebacker once her tennis days are done. I hope it works out, she's a beast.

is there some distinction that has them calling this the "calendar" slam? I thought all Grand Slams were default based on the calendar year?

Serena already holds all four major titles, so the announcers tend to refer to it as the calendar slam to distinguish it from the "Serena slam" that she already has. But yes, the only way to win the Grand slam is by winning all four majors in a calendar year.

Which is relevant because Serena won the US Open last year.

Serena already holds all four major titles, so the announcers tend to refer to it as the calendar slam to distinguish it from the "Serena slam" that she already has. But yes, the only way to win the Grand slam is by winning all four majors in a calendar year.

cool thanks. I don't really follow tennis so wasn't aware she already holds all 4 majors

This is her second "Serena Slam", but nobody has won the calendar Grand Slam in about 25 years

Do you think she's not juicing?

Serena isn't juicing. Tennis has a drug testing scheme far beyond that of any U.S. sports.

Also juicing doesn't help you in tennis like it does in many sports because of the agility and finesse required

1. Mostly I don't really care
2. I don't think she is
3. Steroid use in tennis would be a marginal benefit, if any, at best
4. It's a lazy argument made by haters with zero evidence

Don't think that Serena is juicing. She has always been a freak athlete. It's not like Serena's body suddenly changed at age 30. She was always built like a brick-house.

Serena's not juicing. She has always been a freak athlete with a brick-house body type.

So still at work but just saw that Serena is down in the 3rd set... if she doesnt win does tomorrows all-Italian final with a 26-seed and unseeded player get the lowest ratings for a US open final outside of NYC?

Back