• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

The Nike Air Max Cages are nice and come with a 6 month warranty on the soles. So if you wear out the sole within 6 months of purchase they will send you another pair free (they only do this once per shoe purchase though).

Aussie Open underway. Nice upset for Noah.

Wonder if they name any names soon in the match-fixing scandal.

I had full intentions of watching the 9am Championship replay (without spoilers), but I stupidly pulled up ESPN.com at 8:45am to look something up and saw Djoker's victory emblazoned on the front page. :rulz:

Federer had knee surgery and will miss at least 1 month. Probably will affect him all year though.

Federer had knee surgery and will miss at least 1 month. Probably will affect him all year though.

Federer has been playing very well over the last year, but he can't beat the Joker. Federer has lost to Djokovic in each of the last 3 Majors (when Federer dominated the rest of the field as in winning almost every match in straight sets), and lost to Djokovic in 7 straight grand slam matches. If not for the Joker, Federer would have over 20 grand slams, and there would be no argument that he was the greatest player ever. Another couple years like the last two, and the Joker may be considered the greatest ever.

Federer has been playing very well over the last year, but he can't beat the Joker. Federer has lost to Djokovic in each of the last 3 Majors (when Federer dominated the rest of the field as in winning almost every match in straight sets), and lost to Djokovic in 7 straight grand slam matches. If not for the Joker, Federer would have over 20 grand slams, and there would be no argument that he was the greatest player ever. Another couple years like the last two, and the Joker may be considered the greatest ever.

Agreed, as Nadal and Federer wind down and Djokovic undoubtedly is dominating the game right now it will be interesting to see who all steps up to keep him from beating Fed's number of majors. We obviously have Murray as a perennial contender but rarely has he looked like he will beat the Joker much if at all in majors. The Joker still needs to get the French but once he does that, especially if he gets a couple of those, that may be all she wrote.

Stanimal could win some more.

I'm interested to see who is in the post-Djok/Wawrinka/Murray wave.

I'm curious when the US will have a competitive player on the men's side. Isner is probably the best men's player for the US but I'm not even sure he's sniffed a QF at a slam.

I'm curious when the US will have a competitive player on the men's side. Isner is probably the best men's player for the US but I'm not even sure he's sniffed a QF at a slam.

They're coming Lokis. Huge generation of American talent in the 18-20 range. Taylor Fritz looks to be the real deal - in the top 150 and only 18. Also Jack Sock has been really coming on strong and is only 23, he probably has a ceiling of the top 10, but could conceivably get there. Noah Rubin has also been crushing it since he turn pro, but I don't think he will ever be a top 25 player. Could see him as a solid top 100 career ATP guy though.

Isner's made a US Open QF and the fourth round at his last two slams, but I think it's too tough on his body to play three out of five. He's not built for slams

They're coming Lokis. Huge generation of American talent in the 18-20 range. Taylor Fritz looks to be the real deal - in the top 150 and only 18. Also Jack Sock has been really coming on strong and is only 23, he probably has a ceiling of the top 10, but could conceivably get there. Noah Rubin has also been crushing it since he turn pro, but I don't think he will ever be a top 25 player. Could see him as a solid top 100 career ATP guy though.

Isner's made a US Open QF and the fourth round at his last two slams, but I think it's too tough on his body to play three out of five. He's not built for slams

I feel like I've been hearing "they're coming" since Roddick started going downhill. Isner is fun to watch but it seems all his matches come down to one break or a tiebreak.

Fritz is the only one with pro results to match the hype the junior US men get IMO.

Fritz is the only one with pro results to match the hype the junior US men get IMO.

I think this generation is different. American boys have won four of the last seven junior Grand Slams (won by four different people too). That's the most junior Slams that Americans have won in a two-year period since the 1970s.

I know, #juniors, but out of the four of those guys plus others like Tiafoe (who has a sick game if he could figure out how to harness it consistently), I think we're going to be looking pretty good

FWIW, Jack Sock (#22), Steve Johnson (#29) and Denis Kudla (#58) are all at new career highs after the Australian Open

Taylor Fritz makes the semis in Memphis, continuing to make the case that he's the real deal. Youngest American in an ATP semi since Michael Chang.

Worked out for Noah Rubin too, because by reaching the semis, Fritz gets a special exempt spot in Delray Beach which opens up the wild card that he was originally given. Delray gave it to Noah, who plays Groth in the first round. That match is a big study in contrasts

Taylor. Fritz. Kid is the real deal it looks like. Will be right around the top 100 next week

fritz and smyczek from delray beach on tennis channel now

Any of you cats that play break strings a lot? Any suggestions on a playable string that won't break after a few plays?

^On a related note where do you usually get your strings restrung?

Back