• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

I hope Med finally breaks through and wins one -- he's been pretty dominant (though I haven't been able to watch him yet this tourney)

Osaka is awesome -- I think she takes it

I hope Med finally breaks through and wins one -- he's been pretty dominant (though I haven't been able to watch him yet this tourney)

Osaka is awesome -- I think she takes it

I agree on both accounts. Definitely want Medvedev over Djokovic, and prime Osaka is easily the best on the women's side right now.

Weird stat on Osaka:

Osaka is 7-0 when she makes it to the semifinals of a major, and is a heavy favorite to go 8-0 tonight. In the 18 majors she has played since 2016, she has lost in the 3rd round 8 times, in the 4th round twice and in the first round twice. So, Osaka either loses during the first week or she wins the whole thing. Osaka beat Brady in three sets in the semis of the 2020 US Open.

Weird stat on Osaka:

Osaka is 7-0 when she makes it to the semifinals of a major, and is a heavy favorite to go 8-0 tonight. In the 18 majors she has played since 2016, she has lost in the 3rd round 8 times, in the 4th round twice and in the first round twice. So, Osaka either loses during the first week or she wins the whole thing. Osaka beat Brady in three sets in the semis of the 2020 US Open.

That's interesting. I can see it though - some players take a few matches to get rolling, but after that they are tough to beat. Also, Osaka is much better on hard courts than other surfaces, which explains her lack of success on grass and clay.

The Joker and Nadal are on the same half of the draw in the French Open. It has been awhile since that has happened. The Joker and Fed are in the same quarter. Joker is the #1 seed, Nadal is the #3 seed, Fed is #8th.

Tsitspas is the #5 seed, but is the betting favorite to emerge from the other half of the bracket. The top American seed is Taylor Fritz at #30.

Ash Barty is top women's seed, but the betting favorite is Iga Swiatek the #8 seed. She has been dominant on clay, including winning the French Open last October without dropping a set.

Good opportunity for tsitsipas. He’s in medvedevs quarter, but medvedev hates clay so could easily be out before the qtr. then the toughest likely opponent for the semi would be thiem, but he’s not in top form right now.

Nadals path of rublev-djokovic-tsitsipas wouldn’t be easy. But he owns this tournament.

And Osaka withdraws. Weird saga.

I’m not completely cynical (“she’s just using mental health to get out of something she doesn’t want to do”) but also not entirely buying her as the victim here. I can imagine she does battle some social anxiety and depression, but also feel like tournaments are justified in saying there are some basic media obligations that come with playing in an elite and famous tournament and they can’t just allow the top earners to buy their way out of those. Hope she gets a sports psychologist to help her with it - she’s certainly mentally tougher than a lot of the women’s players who break through and then disappear.

This must be some kind of Euro-Asian fascination.

Whenever I hear a pro athlete interviewed post competition, I think of Crash Davis instructing Nuke LaLoosh.

Last edited:
Russian tennis player Yana Sizikova was arrested in Paris for match fixing. Here is the allegation:

The arrest relates to last year’s tournament when bookmakers issued alerts for abnormal betting patterns during Sizikova’s first-round women’s doubles match alongside Madison Brengle of the United States, which they lost 7-6 (8), 6-4 to the Romanian duo of Andreea Mitu and Patricia Maria Tig. During that encounter, hundreds of thousands of euros were reportedly wagered on a break of serve at 2-2 in set two. Sizikova was culpable for three of the points conceded during her service game, including two double faults as she lost her serve to love.

You want pictures?

img_0908.png

NINTCHDBPICT000657281033.jpg

Tsitsipas was up two sets to none to Zverev.

Zverev won the next two sets, but couldn't pull off the comeback.

Nadal faces Joker now. Joker can't beat Rafa on clay.

This Nadal-Djokovic match is going to be an absolute battle.

Djokovic got broken literally right away and steamrolled in the first set but bringing it right now.

Yeesh this is a battle right now. These guys are going to be hurting late in this one.

Djokovic just cannot help himself.

Back