• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

WS Open with a lot of good matches today. Will be heading out there later today - weather looks great.

Deacon Club deal tonight on 6th floor of the Tower. Then watched 13 seed American Johnson upset 3 seed Tsongas. Good match with some very good points. Weather was awesome tonight and the eats & drinks in the Tower were good!

I watched Herbert in quallies and thought, that dude can play. Now he's in the quarters.

Stevie Johnson is pretty unlikable. Has that whiny, sour puss look all the time. Also strongly favors Marco Bellinelli.

Correct, that's his one bro quality. Should have made it a separate thought.

Rafi/Mystery what are your thoughts on Johnson? Unlikable or just having an off day?

Rafi/Mystery what are your thoughts on Johnson? Unlikable or just having an off day?

A month or two ago I watched a tennis channel show on him. He came across as a pretty good guy. He's a big supported of college tennis, which I like. He was also very gracious last night with kids seeking autographs, so I'm going to go with "likable, with a bro/Bellinelli" vibe.

I've played with and against Stevie a couple times and he's definitely on the more likable side of guys. He used to have very long, curly hair and had far more of a surfer personality than anything else.

I must have just been off on him. Sounds like he may be a cool bro after all.

Rubin lost to Guido Pella 6-4, 7-6 in the second round of US Open qualifying today.

I've had mixed experiences with Johnson. I've seen him be a real dick on court but have also seen him be a very gracious guy.

I will say that Steve Johnson is additionally impressive in that he is arguably the most accomplished college tennis player of all time, yet nobody really expected him to do anything in the pros. He's proved them wrong

Tennis is an interesting sport re: personality because you're really on an island out there moreso than any other sport that I can think of off the top of my head.

Tennis is an interesting sport re: personality because you're really on an island out there moreso than any other sport that I can think of off the top of my head.

True. Boxing is somewhat similar in that regard.

I couldn't imagine the pressure a golfer feels standing over the ball late on Sunday in contention.

Tennis and Boxing are the only two sports that have that mano-a-mano feel to them.

I may be biased but Golf is completely different to me. You're really competing against yourself in that your opponents don't directly influence your play. Tennis is the polar opposite

True, which is one reason I don't like that the WTA allows coaching now.

He's got some game. Real pretty serve.

Your boy Herbert appears to be the man. Going from qualies to the finals is very impressive.

Benneteau did that the first year of the tournament too. You know the tournament's gotta be hoping Anderson wins tonight. A Herbert-Jaziri final is not going to sell tickets.

Plus Jaziri is a bit of a controversial player after a few times where he pulled out of tournaments rather than play against an Israeli player, although it appears that he is basically being forced by his federation to do so.

Back