• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

does the US Open really bring 1 million people in from out of town? I call BS (having not researched this at all)

It's a bit of an exaggeration. There were 740,000 fans last year, but that doesn't count all the employees, many of whom travel in for the 2 weeks of work.

Interesting how much more trouble tennis is having getting re-started and getting all of the players to commit as compared to golf or even MMA. All are individual sports with athletes from all over the world. Realize that tennis is even more international than golf and MMA, but it also seems like the entourages and perhaps the diva quotient for elite tennis players exceeds that for elite golfers or other individual sport athletes.

I think it's the international aspect that makes it really challenging. They would have no difficulty finding enough Americans interested in playing.

The protests from the elite players regarding the one companion restriction is probably one of the best indicators of how those at the top have stayed there so long. With tennis income so insanely top loaded, the big 3 on the men's side and a few women are taking in such a large percentage of the prize pool + endorsements it's kind of like the Power 5 conferences in football (or even Bama/Clemson/etc competing against Wake). Resources have become unlimited for Roger/Novak/Rafa/Serena, so even if their competitors are gaining on them in fitness/raw talent, the access to the latest in training, nutrition, recovery, medicine, travel etc help slow the fundamental decline you'd expect as the new generation should begin a takeover.

Golf obviously has a few guys earning a disproportionate amount of overall income too, but most of the silly money is endorsement based and the top 100 on tour last year all cleared $1 million in prize money. You hear a lot about the younger guys (Ricky/Justin/Jordan - guess they're not so young anymore) sharing houses at some events and haven't heard a single complaint about "bubble" restrictions in the PGA re-launch, so unless golfers are more private about their concerns it would suggest the support team in tennis is much more significant than golf.

Or maybe this explains why Tiger hasn't returned yet....

This is definitely correct. The top players make a ton of money - Federer is the highest paid athlete in the world - but the pay quickly drops after the big 3 on the men's side.

Dimitrov tested positive after playing in that exhibition tournament with Djokovic.

Dimitrov tested positive after playing in that exhibition tournament with Djokovic.

The optics (and reality) coming from that tournament are terrible. No distancing, no masks, crowded stands, and parties.

The optics (and reality) coming from that tournament are terrible. No distancing, no masks, crowded stands, and parties.

Isn’t Novak a big non-believer? I can’t remember any specifics but seem to recall he made some comments not taking it that seriously earlier in the crisis.

He refuses to take the vaccination if there ever is one. That is the only thing I know about.

ATP continues to throw up on itself

Was this a Tour-sanctioned event? From what I’ve read it sounded like an exhibition that Novak organized himself. Either way, not surprising that he ended up testing positive. SMH

Was this a Tour-sanctioned event? From what I’ve read it sounded like an exhibition that Novak organized himself. Either way, not surprising that he ended up testing positive. SMH

it was Novak's tour but it just seems like the push to bring in all the players to the bubble in NYC seems like it will be... not a good idea. And being the head of the players council... not good optics

it was Novak's tour but it just seems like the push to bring in all the players to the bubble in NYC seems like it will be... not a good idea. And being the head of the players council... not good optics

Agreed

Djokovic has it now too.

Too much exposure to 5G radiation, obviously. Thank goodness he can use telekinesis, energized water, and the healing power of trampolines to cure himself.

Didn't Novak, at the beginning of his career, have some sort of heart issue, too?

Or was it just anxiety or something?

If he had a heart whatever, which I recall, seems like him getting Covid-19 is even worse.

He had breathing problems and retired often earlier in his career.

Are positive tests now for the athletes before a sport starts up a good thing or bad thing?

In a perfect world it would be great if no athlete ever tested positive, but that's not reality.

I am far from a COVID expert, but would think that positive tests among players before a league/sport starts up is more of a good thing than a bad thing as it means that the players can get isolated, treated and cured. Also, it helps force others in the sport understand the realities of the virus, and the importance of taking preventative steps. It also helps leagues, teams, tours figure out how to deal (or not deal) with virus when attempting to move forward with playing the game. Fully realize the concerns about having large spikes in a sport, but don't see positive tests as a sport ramps as a problem as much of it is simply the reality as part of every sport trying to move forward in difficult circumstances.

Joker (and his wife) are now negative.

Guess he went the Clemson and LSU route: get infected and over it before the games count.

Back