• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Summer Thread

This OL disability started during the last years of the Grobe era and has continued to the present in a vicious cycle. I can't remember a time, through Mackovic, Groh, Dooley and Caldwell where we've been in such an OL bind like this. I fear we'll be weak again on the line this season, and who knows when we'll get to where it's a team strength. The team will not compete in our division as long as this funk continues.

lectro RIP

I think we can expect to see the in-roads into Texas increase and the Florida pipeline to continue.

In N.C. Wake is going to do what it can but is not going to exert the majority of its effort here.

The staff just completed the most successful recruiting haul of the Grobe era. 16 3 star players many of whom may turn into 4-5 star players (were there a retro-active ranking system)

Sure-fire 4 star recruits in my evaluation: Laronji Vason, Domonique Gibson, Shelldon Lewinson, Jared Crump, Will Smith, Tylor Harris, Tyler Cameron and Ryan Janvion...with several others on the cusp.

Florida will remain the key state in WF recruiting.

Personally I have seen Will Smith. I work out with the Stadnik boys. No offense to Brock, he is a great kid and an excellent prospect, but Will is a tremendous Jumbo athlete who moves so well...man, that guy is as athletic as Tylor Harris (if you have seen Tylor's film) and adds his name to a burgeoning list of outstanding young OL at Wake. By far the largest and most gifted collection I have seen as a fan of the Deacs.

He and Jared Crump can play for anybody in the country.

We are in it to win it. We have a shot to make some signing day noise and each year we take one more small but sure step forward in recruiting. Just take the slew of Big kids we've gotten on the OL and now a new aggressive coach to help out in their development. We have never had close to this many big, strong kids with good feet.

Here is a little secret : Will Smith has 4-5 star Athletic Ability. The guy is a fast emerging jumbo athlete who has impressive camp film going against the top regional DE's. He's wide, tall and quick and powerful...he also had 20 points and 10 boards the other night 

Saving possibly the best for last...

6'5-315 Will Smith... I debate saying it because we have signed a slew of athletic big guys these last 2-3 years but without a doubt this kid is equal to or greater than any other OL athlete we've brought in.

I will try to find some non-affiliated film but when you see this kid don't be surprised if you let out a Rules-like "DAHAM!" Physically he is the Deal...hopefully the squash is just as good.

A strategy question:

If T.J. Haney wins the backup job at LT, do you burn the redshirt to get him game experience against Elon? Or would you keep him on the sidelines and try to preserve the redshirt?

Will Smith no doubt has the athletic ability to play on the OL in the ACC. There were other areas where he struggled. He'll be a great backup OL for a good Liberty team.

A strategy question:

If T.J. Haney wins the backup job at LT, do you burn the redshirt to get him game experience against Elon? Or would you keep him on the sidelines and try to preserve the redshirt?

I'm expecting Haney to be more of a G

Play him. You've always got to believe your team is going to get better and that you'll recruit better players in the future. I also hate to see good players who could've played as freshmen due to need redshirt only to leave Wake before their eligibility is up. It has happened way too frequently. Only redshirt if you're good at the position as is or the player isn't physically ready to play (which may lead you to question his recruitment, but I confess sometimes OL come in with the frame but not the weight).

So Joel Suggs, Cam Gardner, and Taylor Chambers are simply ungood?

Who else could be in the mix to backup Haynes? I thought Gilliam was more of a right side guy.

Great question. I heard talk about Gilliam to TE too. Can't see how that happens now. If injury occurs, we're either going to have to burn a shirt, or play 1 of Suggs, Gardner, Chambers who would struggle to make the 2-deep in the FCS.

Wake Football Summer Thread - A departure?

Shit, Lectro really went all-in on Will Smith.

Lectro went all-in on half of every class. Especially the "diamonds in the rough." The dude would compare Rudy to Ray Lewis.

That's why he's dead. RIP.

Last edited:

except for the typo on the fight song wall... #noSAT

11236792.jpeg

Deacons Illustrated
‏@WakeRivals
Wake sophomore kicker Adam Centers is out for the season with a leg injury, according to coach Dave Clawson this evening.

Deacons Illustrated
‏@WakeRivals
Wake sophomore kicker Adam Centers is out for the season with a leg injury, according to coach Dave Clawson this evening.

Was he the kickoff guy last year?

Back