• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Summer Thread

The speed of the handoffs was so much better. More vertical passing too I think.

We have some speed and that means the line will not have to sustain blocks as long. I think OL is definitely improved; but depth is a problem. People will have to respect our run game, which will help our passing game.

But, have we improved enough?

Can they hold blocks long enough for our backs to hit a hole? What I saw today was a lot of runs for losses also and a lot of holding calls with only a few great runs. The best thing I saw was some nicely thrown passes, both deep and medium balls. Plus a lot of drops. One thing for sure is our punter is great. Our offensive line is just really young so we are a year or so away from being good.

Can they hold blocks long enough for our backs to hit a hole? What I saw today was a lot of runs for losses also and a lot of holding calls with only a few great runs. The best thing I saw was some nicely thrown passes, both deep and medium balls. Plus a lot of drops. One thing for sure is our punter is great. Our offensive line is just really young so we are a year or so away from being good.

2 rbs impressed me, Colburn and Robinson. They ran hard and broke tackles. The line gave our QBs time to throw, which is a substantial improvement. But will they do that against ACC opponents?

And a number of holding calls were against receivers on the edges...not all, but several.

Last edited:
Did Wolford learn to be sneaky with the ball in the offseason or does he still present it to the RB's in such a way that the whole stadium can see?

I was there. Good time. I see no reason for the loud but (mediocre) band (sorry...). Not exactly kid friendly. But everything else was run pretty well. RW was throwing passes to who I assume were grandsons in the far end zone.

It is certainly a beautiful stadium. Would die to see it filled again one day with the electricity of late 2006.

Fan Fest gallery

Fan%20Fest%2017-L.jpg

Fan%20Fest%2019-L.jpg

Fan%20Fest%2002-L.jpg

Fan%20Fest%2003-L.jpg

Fan%20Fest%2009-L.jpg

Fan%20Fest%2012-L.jpg

Fan%20Fest%2015-L.jpg

Fan%20Fest%2021-L.jpg
Is it odd to anyone else that the volleyball team is way more attractive than our cheerleaders?

I took a lot of notes yesterday about who was lining up with the first and second team. With hindsight I’m not sure how useful this will be. There were players sitting out, players rotating and lots of mixing and matching because it is so early in camp. Here are my notes (by position):

Quarterback
1st team – John Wolford
2nd team – Kendall Hinton
3rd team – Kyle Kearns

Running Back
Mixed and matched throughout the day. Dez Wortham started. Isaiah Robinson probably saw the most snaps with the ones. Tyler Bell was with the ones for a long series. Rocky Reid was injured.

Wide Receiver
1st team – Cortez Lewis (X), Jared Crump (S), Tabari Hines (Slot). This combo didn’t change all scrimmage
2nd team – Jonathon Williams (X), KJ Brent / Tyree Harris (S), Chuck Wade / PJ Howard (Slot)
3rd team – Scotty Washington (X), Steven Claude (S), Alex Bachman (Slot)

Offensive Line
The first time I jotted down the 1st team OL it was: LT Justin Herron, LG Ty Hayworth, C Josh Harris, RG Dylan Intemann and RT Phil Haynes
The second time I took notes it was: LT Justin Herron, LG Josh Harris, C A’Lique Terry, RG Ty Hayworth and RT Dylan Intemann
**Can someone confirm that my notes were correct regarding Herron at left tackle instead of Phil Haynes?**
The second team OL looked like: LT Joel Suggs, LG TJ Haney, C A’Lique Terry, RG Tyler Hayworth / Patrick Osterhage and RT Ryan Anderson / Cameron Gardner

Defensive Line
The most difficult position to assess 1st team versus 2nd team because they rotated almost every play. Plus Tylor Harris and Josh Banks are still out. I THINK that Wendell Dunn and Rashawn Shaw saw the most time at 1st team DE. Zeek Rodney was out there a lot at 1st team DT. Chris Stewart was out there a lot with the ones. I wrote down that he was at DT but I may have had that wrong. Others that saw several snaps with the ones: Ali Lamot, Sheldon Lewinson and Willie Yarbary. They changed the mix every play. I even saw true freshman Chris Calhoun with the ones for at least one snap. I didn’t note Duke Ejiofor at all – I may have just missed him or he may have been sitting out.
The second team DL looked like it was probably: DE Ali Lamot, DT Willie Yarbary, DT Sheldon Lewinson and DE Julian Thomas-Jackson

Linebacker
I didn’t take many notes but it didn’t look like there were surprises. Marquel Lee and Brandon Chubb were both with the ones, as well as Hunter Williams at Rover. Jaboree Williams saw some snaps with the ones as well. Zack Wary seemed to be out there every snap with the twos. He looked to be lined up as more of a straight LB than a Rover – I’d like to know if he moved to one of the two LB spots.

Cornerback
1st team looked to me like it was Brad Watson and Devin Gaulden, although for at least one possession it was Thomas Dillon that was out there with Gaulden. 2nd team was Amari Henderson and Josh Okonye. Dionte Austin missed the scrimmage with an injury.

Safety
Ryan Janvion and Cameron Glenn both sat out. I had 1st team as Thomas Brown and Zach Dancel. Jessie Bates was with the twos.

Last edited:
As noted above, I didn't see Ejiofor on the field anywhere...any news on him would be much appreciated. I hope he's still recovering from the flu.

I'm just now reading Dan Collins piece on the first team, and there are some differences from my notes.

His piece had KJ Brent starting over Crump. I think this is incorrect, although I guess its possible that Brent was out there for the first few plays. But Crump was with the ones for - at a minimum - the vast majority of the snaps. Backing up my notes are the fact that Brent caught the early TD from Kendall Hinton while playing with the twos.

He says that Osterhage saw time at first team center. I didn't pick this up but it may have been the case.

Collins had the starting defensive line as: DEs Wendell Dunn and Chris Stewart and DTs Zeek Rodney and Willie Yarbary. That very well may have been the case. As I noted above the DL was a blur of substitutions. He also said that Ejiofor played a lot.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Traveon Redd is here at the scrimmage AND he is rocking a fresh Black Mamba shirt. STUD

Looks like he just retweeted a pic of himself at the scrimmage yesterday. Great to see that he made his way down to watch it and go to the fan fest.

Volleyball team has typically had a good stable of smoke shows on it.

Cheerleaders typically look 13.

Not much has changed.

I'm just now reading Dan Collins piece on the first team, and there are some differences from my notes.

His piece had KJ Brent starting over Crump. I think this is incorrect, although I guess its possible that Brent was out there for the first few plays. But Crump was with the ones for - at a minimum - the vast majority of the snaps. Backing up my notes are the fact that Brent caught the early TD from Kendall Hinton while playing with the twos.

He says that Osterhage saw time at first team center. I didn't pick this up but it may have been the case.

Collins had the starting defensive line as: DEs Wendell Dunn and Chris Stewart and DTs Zeek Rodney and Willie Yarbary. That very well may have been the case. As I noted above the DL was a blur of substitutions. He also said that Ejiofor played a lot.

It is inaccurate. Talked to Hines yesterday and he told me that he, Cortez, and Crump were the starters this year n

C olburn said he wasn't resorting and with Bell getting as many reps as he has so far leads me to believe that Rocky may be th #5 and take a shirt this year.

Golden broke his finger yesterday but he is fine and Robinson was in a boot during faintest. He said he just tweaked it and should be fine. Jamison with a foot spring and should be good as well.

Back