• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Summer Thread

C olburn said he wasn't resorting and with Bell getting as many reps as he has so far leads me to believe that Rocky may be th #5 and take a shirt this year.

Rocky Reid was hurt...ankle. Still the likely starter.

What's the deal with Banks and Harris? I hope it was just being overly cautious and those guys are ready to anchor the middle of the D-line, I thought they did a great job last year considering how much they were on the field because of the offense.

What's the deal with Banks and Harris? I hope it was just being overly cautious and those guys are ready to anchor the middle of the D-line, I thought they did a great job last year considering how much they were on the field because of the offense.

Both expected back for the Elon game. At least one of them might be back this week. The concern is all the missed practice time. They are still dealing with the same injuries that kept them out in the spring.

Rocky Reid was hurt...ankle. Still the likely starter.

From everything I have heard in practice to date I am not so sure. I've heard Bell has been tearing it up and thought Colburn looked terrific yesterday plus he is not redshirting. Somebody has to red shirt. Reid is huge though as big as our lbs

No love for the 54 yard field goal ??? Thats a record in a game situation.

Some thoughts on Saturday’s scrimmage that I didn’t have time to write until today. Sorry for the length - I got a little carried away.

THE QBs

John Wolford had a very efficient 15-for-21 day. An important thing to note is that I think he might have been completely free of any passes being tipped, deflected or batted down at the line. Those issues really plagued him last season. It is also important to note that he saw 100% of the snaps with the 1st team offense. Makes you wonder if there is really a QB competition going on. The negative thing that I would point out is that he looked about as effective on the designed runs as he did last year. Not good. Maybe they were actually busted plays.

Kendall Hinton gave us a good reminder that he is a pass-first QB that happens to be a very good runner. I don’t view him as a running QB that is looking to develop his passing skills - although I admit that those passing skills weren’t exactly on display in the second spring scrimmage or the spring game. On Saturday he looked more like the Hinton from the first spring scrimmage. Actually he was probably better. He had some nice intermediate throws plus the deep ball to Brent. Personally, I thought he showed good velocity when he tried to stick a ball into a tighter space. He was routinely under duress operating behind the second team OL. Lots of collapsed pockets. I am eager to see if Hinton can repeat his performance in the next 2 scrimmages. I am also eager to see him work with the first team offense. I think it make sense to give him some time with that unit, even if the goal is just to prepare him as a backup.

My view of Kyle Kearns performance is biased by the fact that I am so familiar with the scouting report / conventional wisdom on him. To use baseball scouting terminology, his arm strength was reportedly “plus” and his accuracy “plus-plus”. Poor to very poor mobility though. I think we saw the arm talent on Saturday, even if his stats were hindered by pass completions being called back because of penalties, dropped passes and the general sloppiness that came from playing with the third team. He was sacked at least a couple of times, maybe more. He couldn’t escape the rush but it was also on him very quick. Plus a touch was a sack in the scrimmage rules. But when he got time to drop back you had the sense that a REALLY good ball was going to come out of his hand. A nice day overall for a kid who has been on campus for about six weeks now. I think he is going to be a lot of fun to watch develop. (As a side note his scouting report is also that he has plus-plus aptitude and coachability).

FAVORITE PLAYS

Offense: I thought the Hinton-to-Brent TD pass was the most impressive play of the game. Brent got a lot of separation and Hinton put the ball on the money.

Defense: Josh Okonye exploded into a receiver that had just made a reception near the sideline. And it wasn’t like he was coming downhill. It was from his CB position. Enough short-area burst that the ball came loose (although the offense recovered). It reminded me how Okonye created the turnover on special teams in the Boston College game last season. Just a huge play that gave Wake a chance in that game. I hope the staff can find a good way to utilize Okonye’s skill set.

OTHER NOTES

While Wake seems to be developing some depth on the interior of the OL, the lack of depth at tackle is starting to terrify me. It’s the position that we can least afford an injury. I guess if Justin Herron or Phil Haynes were to suffer an injury then Dylan Intemann would step in, but after that the situation looks bleak.

I thought it was interesting that Herron has moved over to LT. I’m assuming that has more to do with Herron’s progress than Haynes lack of progress.

I was surprised by Matt Colburn’s build. He is sturdy looking. I don’t know why I was expecting a scatback type. Probably because Rivals classified him as an all-purpose back, or maybe because of all the attention on his speed. He’s short (for sure) but he is not small. I recall now that during recruiting he said that he said that enjoyed the tough, physical runs. A big question will be whether he can avoid injuries with that running style. Some believe he was already starting to break down in high school.

I am eager to see how the running backs are used. I have seen some 2016 recruits mention that Coach Hunter and Coach R want a system where the carries are distributed among a number of RBs. I am interested to see whether this happens are how the carries are split (situationally? by possession?). I think guys like Colburn and Dez Wortham could be more effective with limited workloads that keep them fresh and/or healthy.

Alex Bachman is an interesting guy. Trying to compete at WR after not really playing there at all in HS. He seemed to be getting open pretty easily from his slot position, but we didn’t see the sure hands that we heard that he showed at Wake’s camp last year. A couple of drops on nice throws from Kearns.

I continue to think that Steven Claude will have a great career at Wake, but I’m biased from following him through last year’s recruiting cycle. He looks fast and very athletic. Ironically his best play on Saturday probably came when he had to deflect a pass away from a DB after he and Kearns didn’t get on the same page on a deep route.

I’m guessing the practice of frequently rotating DLs during a defensive possession may carry over into the season. As long as the opposing offense isn’t in hurry up mode. If there is a lot of rotating it looks like redshirt freshmen Chris Stewart and Willie Yarbary will see a fair share of snaps, as we see the start of the Clawson recruits making their way onto the defense.

I'm with you on Colburn. He looked pretty thick out there and willingly took on contact and kept driving his legs. Assuming Reid doesn't shirt I could see them shirting Colburn unless they think he's a top 2 back on the team.

The thing that seems consistent from footage that I have seen of Hinton is that he has great touch on his throws to get it to the receiver in stride...even the deep ball.

I am excited that we finally have legit competition at the qb position.

Let's just hope the O Line doesn't get them all killed before next year.

You missed Matt Colburn who had the best run of the day with resulting oohs aahs and only RB with applause from the crowd, IIRC.

I took a lot of notes yesterday about who was lining up with the first and second team. With hindsight I’m not sure how useful this will be. There were players sitting out, players rotating and lots of mixing and matching because it is so early in camp. Here are my notes (by position):

Quarterback
1st team – John Wolford
2nd team – Kendall Hinton
3rd team – Kyle Kearns

Running Back
Mixed and matched throughout the day. Dez Wortham started. Isaiah Robinson probably saw the most snaps with the ones. Tyler Bell was with the ones for a long series. Rocky Reid was injured.

Wide Receiver
1st team – Cortez Lewis (X), Jared Crump (S), Tabari Hines (Slot). This combo didn’t change all scrimmage
2nd team – Jonathon Williams (X), KJ Brent / Tyree Harris (S), Chuck Wade / PJ Howard (Slot)
3rd team – Scotty Washington (X), Steven Claude (S), Alex Bachman (Slot)

Offensive Line
The first time I jotted down the 1st team OL it was: LT Justin Herron, LG Ty Hayworth, C Josh Harris, RG Dylan Intemann and RT Phil Haynes
The second time I took notes it was: LT Justin Herron, LG Josh Harris, C A’Lique Terry, RG Ty Hayworth and RT Dylan Intemann
**Can someone confirm that my notes were correct regarding Herron at left tackle instead of Phil Haynes?**
The second team OL looked like: LT Joel Suggs, LG TJ Haney, C A’Lique Terry, RG Tyler Hayworth / Patrick Osterhage and RT Ryan Anderson / Cameron Gardner

Defensive Line
The most difficult position to assess 1st team versus 2nd team because they rotated almost every play. Plus Tylor Harris and Josh Banks are still out. I THINK that Wendell Dunn and Rashawn Shaw saw the most time at 1st team DE. Zeek Rodney was out there a lot at 1st team DT. Chris Stewart was out there a lot with the ones. I wrote down that he was at DT but I may have had that wrong. Others that saw several snaps with the ones: Ali Lamot, Sheldon Lewinson and Willie Yarbary. They changed the mix every play. I even saw true freshman Chris Calhoun with the ones for at least one snap. I didn’t note Duke Ejiofor at all – I may have just missed him or he may have been sitting out.
The second team DL looked like it was probably: DE Ali Lamot, DT Willie Yarbary, DT Sheldon Lewinson and DE Julian Thomas-Jackson

Linebacker
I didn’t take many notes but it didn’t look like there were surprises. Marquel Lee and Brandon Chubb were both with the ones, as well as Hunter Williams at Rover. Jaboree Williams saw some snaps with the ones as well. Zack Wary seemed to be out there every snap with the twos. He looked to be lined up as more of a straight LB than a Rover – I’d like to know if he moved to one of the two LB spots.

Cornerback
1st team looked to me like it was Brad Watson and Devin Gaulden, although for at least one possession it was Thomas Dillon that was out there with Gaulden. 2nd team was Amari Henderson and Josh Okonye. Dionte Austin missed the scrimmage with an injury.

Safety
Ryan Janvion and Cameron Glenn both sat out. I had 1st team as Thomas Brown and Zach Dancel. Jessie Bates was with the twos.

Does anyone know if Clawson has ever used a 2-QB system throughout his head coaching career?

You missed Matt Colburn who had the best run of the day with resulting oohs aahs and only RB with applause from the crowd, IIRC.

Agreed. A good point on Colburn. Also raises the point that the first scrimmage had 5 plays of 25 yards or more. This is in contrast to the spring game that had only 2. Approximately 40% of the total offense during the scrimmage - and most of the scoring drives - were generated by 5 big plays:

Hinton 54 yard TD pass to KJ Brent
Hinton 45 yard pass to Jonathon Williams
Wolford 39 yard pass to Cortez Lewis (a nice grab by Lewis along the sideline)
Matt Colburn 35 yard run
Isaiah Robinson 31 yard run (Robinson found a lot of daylight on this one. A nice effort that ended up being overshadowed by Colburn's)

We need these big plays during the season. In the worst way.

I'm with you on Colburn. He looked pretty thick out there and willingly took on contact and kept driving his legs. Assuming Reid doesn't shirt I could see them shirting Colburn unless they think he's a top 2 back on the team.

Colburn has already said he is not redshirting

The last half of the article spelled Clawson as "Clausen".

Oddly enough, the only 4-star recruit in Wake Forest’s Class of 2015 was quarterback Kyle Kearns of Pleasanton (Calif.) Foothill. Clausen also mentioned Kearns as part of his explanation for needing to bring in competition at the position behind Wolford.

“We love John; he’s getting better,” Clausen said. “But I love the fact that we’ve brought in Kendall and another freshman, Kyle Kearns, that will give us depth and quality at the position, as well.”

94 linked already but no discussion. I like this 6'6" and 295....

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article31184282.html

Once Wake’s coaches got him on campus and saw him practice, he was quickly moved to offensive line. Listed as the starter at left tackle coming out of spring practice, he was moved to right tackle earlier this month. In one year at Wake Forest, he has gone from 265 to 295 pounds.

That may have ended his basketball dreams for good – Haynes said he won’t try to walk on to Danny Manning’s team after football season: “I’m almost 300 pounds,” he joked. “I can barely get up and down the court” – but it opened doors in football that he never knew were there.

A project inspired by “The Blind Side” may have generated another offensive lineman with pro potential.

“He could be your prototypical tackle,” Clawson said. “He’s basically been a full-time football player for two years. His skill set is everything you’d want an offensive tackle to have. … He’ll go through some growing pains this year, but it isn’t going to be because of a lack of talent or lack of want-to.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article31184282.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Back