• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Summer Thread

pretty sure he's actually a State grad, he's a good part of the #goacc twitterverse, gotta be able to laugh at yourself

Oh not defending him by any means. I unfollowed him a while ago. Just pointing out we did it too with the superiority complex that he shows.

Fella's douchebaggery goes well beyond anything he's said about Wake - in fact it's independent of it.

Had to unfollow Swain 18 months ago or so. He's unbearable. I also thought he was like a 28 or 30 year old. Dude is like a 40 year old graduate of Guilford or Greensboro College or something with no degree at all from Duke IIRC.

typical.

He may have actually graduated from N.C. State after transferring from a smaller school but I just don't remember. His profile came across my LinkedIn a few months ago

I watched the Clawson press conference today. I thought the only newsworthy item was his comment that he expects to start 5 or 6 freshmen on offense this year. I tried to go through in my head who he was referring to. There were three freshmen OLs playing first team during spring practice: Haynes, Herron and Anderson. I think we all expect Rocky Reid to open the season as the starting RB. That’s four. The fifth must be Tabari Hines coming off his strong spring. A sixth freshman on offense would be interesting.

I was surprised that he was already penciling in so many freshmen before practice even starts, but I guess 4 of them were there for spring practice. That’s going to make for a really young offense.

Cortez Lewis r-fr is an option at WR.

Great point. Forgot about him. You're right that Clawson could have him starting outside, and Hines could be #6 if he wins the starting job inside.

you guys too thin-skinned for Mark Ennis too?

He's definitely a dick at times but he's been a nice guy both times I've chatted with him. Him and Swain are both full-fledged members of the "give Wake shit" crowd. Ennis has taken a few shots from Wake fans about the Louisville-Wake game every time he brought up how bad Wake's rush offense was as the season unfolded.

Clawson's demeanor comes across well in his interview, but there's not a lot to talk about with last year's dismal season and another very young team on deck. He sounds high on the talent of his newcomers, but of course they're freshmen and prone to play inconsistently. I'd love to see a healthy incremental improvement but still won't be surprised if we don't improve materially in our record. Just hoping our offensive stats get a lot better and our defense doesn't diminish that much.

Ennis did not go to Louisville, though I'm not sure where he went.

Lol of course he didn't.

I'm sure he went to something like Kentucky Wesleyan if that's even a school.

Just furthers everything I've already thought about journalists who write about sports for a living. Although I have the utmost respect for John Dell. Dude is a baller.

On Phil Haynes
Clawson: "Phil's going to be a really good football player and he's a great example of where we are. Phil is a great worker. He's strong, athletic and moves his feet well. He could be your prototypical tackle. He's basically been a full-time football player for two years. His skill-set is everything you'd want an offensive tackle to have. He's an example of if we were an established program, Phil Haynes probably isn't going to start as a redshirt freshman. But because we're not, he's going to have an opportunity early. He has the skill-set that eventually the sky is the limit for Phil. He'll go through some growing pains. It won't be from a lack of talent or from a lack of desire. He is a very smooth, graceful and athletic - he had 11 basketball scholarship offers out of high school. He's put on 30 pounds in one year, his strength numbers are through the roof and he's a competitor. Now, the first snap he goes against Florida State. . .that's going to be (trails off). But he's a competitor. He'll drive himself through that.

"When we first had him - in preseason camp last year. You look at his arms, his wing-span and how athletic he is. The thing we love about Phil is that he's one of those guys that just goes hard. That's just his nature. When we go from drill to drill, Phil's always the first one there. That's just his competitive nature. So you have a guy with all the measurables - height, weight, great athletic ability, could have been a division one basketball player and he's a competitor. Those are pretty good starting points.

This is so weird: I'm legitimately excited to watch a Wake offensive lineman play.

Sounds like Haynes is going to be a beast.
Pretty rare for a coach to talk that positively about an inexperienced player.
He must be something special.
Anxious to watch him develop.

Back