• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Summer Thread

On a different topic, I noted that Sunday will have a "split squad" practice. My understanding is that a split squad practice means that the team will be divided in half and there will be separate practices for each half. They will not be concurrent. So for the coaches there will be two practices that day. If I understand it correctly that would double the amount of reps that each player could get. That sounds like a great idea for maximizing the permitted practice time. I would also think that there will be more practices using this format.

Am I getting this correct? Have we done this before?

That's interesting. Seems like a format that would work well in the Spring and potentially work around different class schedules.

I read about some other teams that are doing something similar. Those schools aren't separating the squads by first team / second team or upperclassmen / lower classmen. Starters are divided evenly between the two "squads" so that you have veteran leaders at both practices.

On a different topic, I noted that Sunday will have a "split squad" practice. My understanding is that a split squad practice means that the team will be divided in half and there will be separate practices for each half. They will not be concurrent. So for the coaches there will be two practices that day. If I understand it correctly that would double the amount of reps that each player could get. That sounds like a great idea for maximizing the permitted practice time. I would also think that there will be more practices using this format.

Am I getting this correct? Have we done this before?

Yes I have heard of schools doing this as well as splitting the team up at the same time slot in order to maximize rep opportunities. Only issue with this is the HC can only be at one place at one time. this won't be as much of an issue with different time slots.

It's something the last staff did briefly in the Fall. 1's and 2's on one field with 3's and 4's on the other. Good way for more film and more reps. Only negative is depth and a greater chance for injury. Would be smart to do it every now and then, from a playing time and film perspective.

Got in the car to return from Columbia to Charlotte. Turned on ESPN radio on XM at the top of the hour. Greeted with this message: "Wake Forest starting center Ryan Anderson has been suspended..."

No publicity is bad publicity...er, uh, right?

It's something the last staff did briefly in the Fall. 1's and 2's on one field with 3's and 4's on the other. Good way for more film and more reps. Only negative is depth and a greater chance for injury. Would be smart to do it every now and then, from a playing time and film perspective.

And of course, more practice should lead to more depth on Saturdays.

Just think how many reps everyone could get if they divided players up into 3 teams

Seriously, though, the split squad concept is a good idea

Haha Lectro. "John 'The Wolf' Wolford is now a whooping 6"3' 217 pounds and his bench press went up 123 pounds and gained 12 inches on his vertical leap so you will not only see a stronger Wolf but a more athletic Wolf in his sophomore year!"

anybody that increases their bench press by a 'whooping' 123 pounds in a year's time has to be on some form of juice, right? especially when they only weigh in at 217 total pounds. or else that is a lectro misprint.

Must be nice to be able to walk by the practice field and see that view above.

I noticed when I walked by the practice fields today that the grasss field close to the road is no longer laid out parallel to the turf practice field. Instead, in its place there are two 30 (maybe 35?) yard + end zone fields side by side at a right angle to the big field. I guess the idea behind the new configuration is that most practice time is spent in small units that don't need a full field for players to go through their drills. So now that the team doesn't have three larger practice fields because of the construction of the indoor practice facility, it will still have three fields

One of the renderings I've seen has two FieldTurf fields rotated to what you describe.

Any word from practice this morning?

ETA: did some twitter research. Deacon Illustrated posted that our new freshman RBs got some reps on kick return. #scoopfromascoop

Last edited:
Back