• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Summer Thread

Deac94

Reaction score
PROJECTED DEPTH CHART

OFFENSE

Quarterback
Starter: John Wolford
Backup: Kendall Hinton

Running Back (**will be a committee approach**)
Starter: Tyler Bell
Backup: Matt Colburn OR Isaiah Robinson

Wide Receiver – X
Starter: Cortez Lewis
Backup: Jonathon Williams

Wide Receiver – S
Starter: K.J. Brent
Backup: Tyree Harris

Slot Receiver
Starter: Tabari Hines
Backup: Chuck Wade

Tight End
Starter: Cam Serigne
Backup: Devin Pike

Left Tackle
Starter: Justin Herron

Left Guard
Starter: Ty Hayworth

Center
Starter: Josh Harris

Right Guard
Starter: Dylan Intemann

Right Tackle
Starter: Phil Haynes

DEFENSE

Defensive Ends
Starters: Duke Ejiofor and Wendell Dunn
Backups: Chris Stewart and Chris Calhoun (**both project for 30-40 snaps/per game**)

Defensive Tackles
Starters: Zeek Rodney and Josh Banks
Backups: Willie Yarbary and Tylor Harris (**both project for 30-40 snaps/per game**)

Linebackers
Starters: Brandon Chubb and Marquel Lee
Backups: Jaboree Williams, Zack Wary and Grant Dawson

Rover
Starter: Hunter Williams
Backup: Demetrius Kemp

Safeties
Starters: Thomas Brown and Ryan Janvion
Backup: Zach Dancel and Josh Okonye

Cornerback
Starters: Devin Gaulden and Brad Watson
Backups: Thomas Dillon and Amari Henderson

Last edited:
Once Nate Mays enrolls the staff will be able to oversee the latter stages of his knee rehab. He tore a ligament very late in his high school season. Given the depth at LB it seems like he would have been a likely redshirt this season even if he had been healthy.

Nate injured his knee in the last game of the season, during the state playoffs. Hate that it happened.
Reportedly, he's been working hard at rehab and making progress, but I'm pretty sure he'll redshirt this year.
Will also give him a year to gain/re-gain overall strength and speed.

Other than Kinal, Kicker Mike Weaver is the only player on the current roster listed as a Punter. WF didn't sign any punters in the incoming recruiting class. So, it looks like Weaver. 2016 recruit Dom Maggio is a punter and kicker.

Of the 8 posts of this thread, 5 of them have been about our back up punter. LOWF check?

There will be some interesting position battles coming up this summer. Who will start at corner opposite Brad Watson is probably the biggest unknown. Whether the two redshirt freshmen (Haynes and Herron) can hang on to win two starting tackle positions might be the most important. However, I find the receiver discussion to be the most interesting. Based on where they were lining up during spring practice, plus some intel, plus a little speculation, here is what I have put together for the receiver positions:

S-receiver (outside) – Jared Crump (redshirt JR), Tyree Harris (redshirt SOPH), Steven Claude (true FR)

X-receiver (outside) – Cortez Lewis (redshirt FR), Scotty Washington (true FR), Jonathan Williams (redshirt JR)

Slot – Tabari Hines (true FR), PJ Howard (5th year SR), Chuck Wade (true FR)

The one guy that I didn’t include above is K.J. Brent. I have no idea where to place him.

Here is what I would like to see happen, and also think is a realistic possibility.
1. Move Tyree Harris to Slot at the start of summer practice. He reportedly practiced there while he redshirted. I was surprised to see him line up exclusively at S-receiver in the spring, but that may have been because Jared Crump was dealing with an injury.
2. Put K.J. Brent at X-receiver

With those two moves you would have:

S-receiver: Jared Crump (starter), Steven Claude (backup). In this scenario, Claude likely would not be able to redshirt.

X-receiver: Cortez Lewis versus K.J. Brent in an open summer competition for starter. High-ceiling true freshman Scotty Washington would then be able to redshirt – a move that wouldn’t have been possible if Wake hadn’t landed K.J. Brent.

Slot: Tabari Hines versus Tyree Harris in an open summer competition for starter. This would be an interesting battle between 5’9 Hines and 6’3 Harris. I was an admitted skeptic on Hines before spring practice. He is small. He wasn’t overly productive in his senior season in high school, especially early on. But I obviously saw what everyone else did this spring – he looked like the most dynamic offensive player on the field. A permanent move to Slot would give the somewhat enigmatic (at least to fans) Harris his most direct route to a starting role if he continues to move in a positive direction.

I'm really nervous to see the offensive line's improvement or lack thereof. We shall see.

I think Tyree should be a really good boost to the offense if we have time to get the ball out to him.

When was Bo Archibald injured? I recall seeing his xray. The break was not horrible and the surgeon did a great job with the plates and screws and rods. If the bone heals as quickly as it should in young healthy man and I suspect they would use a bone stimulator to help heal as fast as possible, it would all depend on his soft tissue around ankle and how quickly that responds (getting his range of motion back and strength in that leg) to then allow him to overall get into playing shape soon enough.
His injury less problematic than ACL and other lingering soft tissue injuries hammies and such. Once it is healed, he shouldn't have any problems until years later when arthritis may set up.

When was Bo Archibald injured? I recall seeing his xray. The break was not horrible and the surgeon did a great job with the plates and screws and rods. If the bone heals as quickly as it should in young healthy man and I suspect they would use a bone stimulator to help heal as fast as possible, it would all depend on his soft tissue around ankle and how quickly that responds (getting his range of motion back and strength in that leg) to then allow him to overall get into playing shape soon enough.
His injury less problematic than ACL and other lingering soft tissue injuries hammies and such. Once it is healed, he shouldn't have any problems until years later when arthritis may set up.

KYP

Sorry didn't see the date on the first post. Thought he was gone but then thought maybe I was mistaken. Reading is fundamental and often not done

I like the "potentially nasty front 7" comment. How many times have we ever had an independent analyst say we could have a nasty front seven? The front seven during Grobe's golden run were pretty nasty, but that's the only time I remember.

Kyle Kearns, Paris Black and Jessie Bates join the other freshmen today as second summer session begins. I like all 3 long-term, but they look very likely to be among a number of redshirts this season.

Back